teen eating challenges

I don't know if I need suggestions or just a chance to speak out. My daughter is almost 15 and I have been fairly strict about her having or not having some foods and eating healthier, so I thought. About three years ago I started looking at the nutrition labels on some of the advertised "healthy" options for kids and found them no worse or better than anything else on the market. So that already p****s me off. Over the three years I've switched to mostly whole wheat and we only have the cereal with 3 grams of fiber or more and I always serve a salad and we have veggies as a side and I put out only one carb like bread or potato or corn or pasta or rice but we would never have more than one of those options.

So this is my delimma, I'm trained in early childhood ed and know the potential risks from making negative comments about weight and body image. I don't want to do that but I do want to provide a lot more education to her. She is currently in the middle of the high rage for BMI, but not near the obese range, and I would like her to be in the middle of the lower range, which means a 40 pound drop for her. I think my "example setting' is good, but not enough and have opted to be more proactive with her. We've been talking about her eating habits, not her weight, and I have chosen to set one fitness and one nutrition goal a week for her to focus on. The first one is to drink 8 glasses of water a day, which I'm not saying will eliminate the higher calorie juices she drinks, but it will do that.

She doesn't seem nearly as motivated as I am, and I suppose that's a good thing because she's basically very happy with herself as she is, which I love that confidence she has, but I don't think I'm doing her justice by letting her pounds creep up to 180 then 190 and before you know it, I have a 200 pound senior. Fortunately, she's compliant without complaining, although I know she hates it, I can always use her phone to motivate her. I would just like to hear from other parents of teens who have been through this kind of thing with your own kids. Today I could really use someone telling me I'm a good mom...or am I truly Satan in disguise as she sometimes has a way of making me feel.

Replies

• catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    I don't know if I need suggestions or just a chance to speak out. My daughter is almost 15 and I have been fairly strict about her having or not having some foods and eating healthier, so I thought. About three years ago I started looking at the nutrition labels on some of the advertised "healthy" options for kids and found them no worse or better than anything else on the market. So that already p****s me off. Over the three years I've switched to mostly whole wheat and we only have the cereal with 3 grams of fiber or more and I always serve a salad and we have veggies as a side and I put out only one carb like bread or potato or corn or pasta or rice but we would never have more than one of those options.

So this is my delimma, I'm trained in early childhood ed and know the potential risks from making negative comments about weight and body image. I don't want to do that but I do want to provide a lot more education to her. She is currently in the middle of the high rage for BMI, but not near the obese range, and I would like her to be in the middle of the lower range, which means a 40 pound drop for her. I think my "example setting' is good, but not enough and have opted to be more proactive with her. We've been talking about her eating habits, not her weight, and I have chosen to set one fitness and one nutrition goal a week for her to focus on. The first one is to drink 8 glasses of water a day, which I'm not saying will eliminate the higher calorie juices she drinks, but it will do that.

She doesn't seem nearly as motivated as I am, and I suppose that's a good thing because she's basically very happy with herself as she is, which I love that confidence she has, but I don't think I'm doing her justice by letting her pounds creep up to 180 then 190 and before you know it, I have a 200 pound senior. Fortunately, she's compliant without complaining, although I know she hates it, I can always use her phone to motivate her. I would just like to hear from other parents of teens who have been through this kind of thing with your own kids. Today I could really use someone telling me I'm a good mom...or am I truly Satan in disguise as she sometimes has a way of making me feel.
  • I don't have this same challenge but I am a mom.

Any mom who has put this much thought into the process and is not tearing down their child's self-esteem by harping on the weight issue but instead is discussing healthy eating habits, setting goals, and being proactive is a GOOD MOM!

I would liken this to turning a huge ship around -- it takes time. You'll get it headed in the right direction, but it just isn't going to turn on a dime.

Sounds like you're doing a great job! Being a parent isn't easy but it's so very worthwhile.
    :flowerforyou:
  • Way to go Mom! Unfortunately, I think our bad habits of eating started from our childhood and teenage years. Once she puts the weight on, it will be so hard to take it off.

I think it is great that there is this whole idea of "love your body the way it is" going on BUT.........we need to be very careful that we continue to TAKE CARE of the body's that we love.

A good self-esteem is great. But, high blood pressure, high cholesteral, heart disease, and diabetes is dangerous.

Continue to encourage her choose a healthy lifestyle.
  • You sound like an awesome mom! I am a teenager in my junior year of highschool so I am about at the same age as your daughter, if not a little bit older. My mom also has been on me about my eating issues. She haas helped me through a lot but sometimes she gets a bit overwhelmed. All I can say to you is not to get too involved with her goals. Be extremely supportive and continue to help her on her journey and set more goals for her. But Make sure that you dont start to get upset with her if she fails to meet them. Congrads on being a great mom!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Tamsin_62 wrote: »
    You sound like an awesome mom! I am a teenager in my junior year of highschool so I am about at the same age as your daughter, if not a little bit older. My mom also has been on me about my eating issues. She haas helped me through a lot but sometimes she gets a bit overwhelmed. All I can say to you is not to get too involved with her goals. Be extremely supportive and continue to help her on her journey and set more goals for her. But Make sure that you dont start to get upset with her if she fails to meet them. Congrads on being a great mom!

Six year old thread.