Feeling awkw ard at Gym

Options
I joined planet fitness after a lot of consideration. Doing Zumba or Blast Class once a week isn't enough to keep the weight off. I have to go by myself cause I go so late at night. It was awkward; I stuck to the treadmill and did 30 minutes. There was a lot of people there and a lot of fit people. Anyone else feel that way?

Replies

• holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I did at first. Once I crank up my tunes and get in the zone nothing else matters. Get focused on your work out. You are there on a mission to get fit. You are the most important person in the joint. Enjoy your work out.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Just remember you're all there for the same reason; try not to feel awkward, and just focus on the workouts you went there to do. :)
  • trivard676
    trivard676 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I definitely know how it feels to feel awkward at the gym. All these super-fit people around, people that go to the gym every day, and me thumping along on the treadmill feeling like I'm about to die/or break the treadmill, probably drowning in my own sweat? Definitely been there. It's easy to feel that way, especially if you're coming from a place of mind where you have been made fun of for the way you've looked and feel like people 'are' watching you. Important thing to remember is that everyone feels this way one time or another.

The best advice I can give you is that those people are focused on their workouts and unless you happen to run right in front of them, while on fire, they're probably not even thinking about you. Listen to some music, get a fitness app (like Zombies, Run!) and just go for it! Even if they are looking at you, who cares? You're there for you, not to appease them.

Good luck! ;)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    jen48135 wrote: »
    I joined planet fitness after a lot of consideration. Doing Zumba or Blast Class once a week isn't enough to keep the weight off. I have to go by myself cause I go so late at night. It was awkward; I stuck to the treadmill and did 30 minutes. There was a lot of people there and a lot of fit people. Anyone else feel that way?

So this one time, I was doing squats, and I'm there feeling it, pounding hard. I get to my heavy squats, and we're talking weights that I have a challenge moving. I unrack the weight and let loose a monster fart.

Apparently 300 pounds makes it hard to control certain functions. Some curl bros were surprised, and one guy started laughing. So, with the weight on my shoulders, I squat down, and get kinda stuck, so I grunt out, "Porkchop sandwiches" and the weight starts coming up.

curl bros start laughing again. So I'm feeling froggy, and go for another rep, get into the bottom, rip *kitten* again. So I start pushing upwards, pressing the weight up, get standing and rack it. I turn around, this curl bro is looking at me so I (I'm smiling too.) look at him and say, "time to go jerk off, arms session!"

and I walk off to the bathroom. Where I promptly get a headrush and almost pass out.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

So this one time, I was doing squats, and I'm there feeling it, pounding hard. I get to my heavy squats, and we're talking weights that I have a challenge moving. I unrack the weight and let loose a monster fart.

Apparently 300 pounds makes it hard to control certain functions. Some curl bros were surprised, and one guy started laughing. So, with the weight on my shoulders, I squat down, and get kinda stuck, so I grunt out, "Porkchop sandwiches" and the weight starts coming up.

curl bros start laughing again. So I'm feeling froggy, and go for another rep, get into the bottom, rip *kitten* again. So I start pushing upwards, pressing the weight up, get standing and rack it. I turn around, this curl bro is looking at me so I (I'm smiling too.) look at him and say, "time to go jerk off, arms session!"

and I walk off to the bathroom. Where I promptly get a headrush and almost pass out.

Did you get that pork chop line from GI Joe?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    yup.
  • CogentLinkie
    CogentLinkie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Most people too focused on themselves to care what anyone else is doing. Pay them no mind.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I go to planet fitness too! :) And just focus on yourself while you're there. That's typically what everyone else does. You may run into the occasional little old lady asking help with something LOL....it's happened to me twice. But otherwise people just do their own thing. After you get into a routine everything else just fades away.
  • godswill206
    Options

I did at first. I couldn't believe people would be on the elliptical for an hour and not break out in a sweat. And yes, I had a couple of experiences were other members made assumptions about me and treated me in a rude fashion. Let's face it, being "fit" or appearing "healthy" doesn't mean nice/polite.

Not so much anymore. I truly do not care about what anyone else is doing. It simply isn't my business. Furthermore, my gym time is my time. It's my time to go to that zone space and nurture my mind, body and spirit. It's my no fear zone.

Also, don't forget you're gym membership is an investment in you!
  • Rugbynutter
    Rugbynutter Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Gyms can be weird places! I go most mornings and the general group I'm "with" are really friendly and welcoming, we're always chatting to other people. I currently have my leg in plaster (snapped my achilles tendon in the 1st game of the season!) and the other people in gym can't do enough for me. Moving benches, re-racking weights, getting water, offering to pick me up in the morning. We're a little community and arrange social events too. Not a hint of "bro" about it.

Our general rule we have is that if you turn up, work hard then no-one's going to complain or treat you differently. It's doesn't matter what your standard or what you're doing, do it with focus and commitment and you'll be fine.

When you're starting out your only competition is you. Focus only on what you're doing. Chances are there's someone thinking the same!

• DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    If you keep going daily one day you will be one of those fit people. That is what keeps me going. No one cares who else is in the gym unless it is someone they know. Even the people I run into at the gym that I know, a quick hello is about all that is exchanged. Get in, get it done, log it, and succeed. Remember, this is not some kind of special cult club, you paid your dues to the gym just the same as they did, you have every right to be there and get the body that you want.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

1. well done for joining the gym.
    2. well done for going.
    3. I think you need to go 3x+ a week.
    4. We all feel self conscious, but when you get used to it you will worry less and realise nobody is intersted in you as they do their own things.
    5. Work out a plan on what you need to do. If you have a plan then you feel more focused and directed. I have a plan written on a piece of paper which I fill in each time with all the weights and settings. I'd be a bit lost without it. Cardio is easy but i also record pace and time. As you record this information you start to see progress. If you cnat figure out a program, then get one of the trainers to assist.
    6. Focus on correct form, safety and just finding your way round, then progress
    7. Your challenges should push you at the end of a set of reptitions so you are striving to improve. A p[roper workout means you get the benefit.
    8. Worry less you are beating all those who never make it off the couch. If you keep it up you will make progress and feel more comfy. When you make progress you will increase in confidence and worry less.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

Ignore and do your workout.
    You are there for you, not them.

• parmoute
    parmoute Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I had that feeling this morning... My trainer wants me to start using the strength training machines on my own and today was the first time (in 2-3 weeks) I had the guts to go in and start messing around with them. I'm at a big 10 school, so that early in the morning, the gym is full of ROTC guys and athletes. Talk about intimidating!!

I know that once I feel like I know what I'm doing, then I'll be able to focus on my workout and it won't matter - even if I feel pathetic doing it in comparison to other people. The first few day when I'm trying to figure out how a new workout is going to flow is tough, but once I figure it out, I can push myself hard and I feel good afterward. Knowing it will get better is the only reason I was able to talk myself into going.

Getting used to going to the gym is like being a tourist in a new city: if you walk around like you know what you're doing (even when you're totally lost), fewer people will mess with you :)
  • jen48135
    jen48135 Posts: 13 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Most people too focused on themselves to care what anyone else is doing. Pay them no mind.
    dbmata wrote: »

Did you get that pork chop line from GI Joe?

• jen48135
    jen48135 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I will be going back tonight for another 30 min walk on the treadmill.
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the people people, just worry about yourself......that IS the glory of planet fitness! I am a member there too and love it ;) There's people of all shapes and sizes there......start incorporating some weight training though, and it won't feel as awkward....they are all there for the same purpose......

P,S, try that elliptical! It's a beast! Start slow, with like a 10 minute session first though + cool down.....as it can get rough ;) I never have been a fan of the treadmill.......just could never find my "pace" without the think draggging me off the machine, or me running off the front of it.....lol.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    They probably don't even notice you. The only time I ever paid attention to anyone at the gym was because this one guy was as sweaty as I was and it made me feel better. I'm that nasty, soaking wet person you see.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    The first couple times I went to a gym I felt a little awkward, too. I soon realized I was being ridiculous. You pay to be there. You belong there. The super fit people you see have just put the time in. They all had a first day too.
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your decision to get fit/exercise. When I first joined the gym I felt as if everyone was looking at me and thinking about how overweight I was. I doubt if you are even registering on their radar. I put my headphones on and zone out. You can do it! Good luck!!! :)