Gym Beginner looking for advice on routine

Options
I am looking to go to the gym in order to tone. I also had two kids so my stomach is pretty puffy and even a little saggy which would be nice to fix.

I have time to go 3 times a week (Mon, weds, Fri)

Right now, i walk/run for 20 minutes on the treadmill and do some of the machines... but i am looking for a good routine (can't afford a personal trainer), ive been doing quite a bit of research so far but am looking for tips or maybe if anyone can share their routine, that would be so great :)

Thanks in advance =D

Replies

• Live_To_Win
    Live_To_Win Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5. Made for men and women. there is a website and an app for your phone. I know a few women that use it. They got me started on it
  • LittleBallofFurr
    LittleBallofFurr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later! I am looking for the same thing lol
  • streamgirl
    streamgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Take a look in the threads about the importance of weight lifting and interval training. Will make the most of your time.
  • StephWieler
    StephWieler Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    So far i've come up with this routine (still working on the ab portion as my core is extremely weak) Thoughts?

Monday: Legs, Glutes
    20 minute exercise bike
    12 reps of each http://skinnyms.com/killer-legs-and-butt-workout/
    Squats (wide stance squats with dumbbells or barbell)
    Stiff Legged Dead lifts
    Dumbbell Lunges
    Leg Press
    Leg Extensions
    Leg Curl
    Step-ups
    Calf Raises

Stretch

______________________________________________________________________________-

Wednesday: Arms, Back, chest
    20 minute interval on treadmill
    12 reps of each
    Reverse Fly
    Bicep Curls
    Cross jab
    Lying tricep extension
    Side lateral raise
    Dumbbell shoulder press
    Dumbbell upright row
    Seated row
    Low back extension

______________________________________________________________________________

Friday: Abs
    20 minute interval on treadmill
    Front plank (Hold for three seconds)
    Barbell Side bends
  • fitzman84
    fitzman84 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I would go with some sort of full body routine for each day. No need to run a split since your new to resistance training. Here's a simple workout I give to my clients who are new to weight training.

3 sets each : 15-20 reps : rest as needed
    Squats - with or without weight
    Bench Press - or pushups
    Bent over rows - or seated cable row
    Standing Military Press - can use dumbbells if barbell is too heavy
    Bicep Curls
    Planks 30 to 60 seconds depending on your ability

The key is to learn to control the weight. Squats for example: Count to 4 as you lower your body, hold the bottom for 2 seconds, and stand up for a 1 count. Then repeat... and do that on all exercises for about 4 weeks until your body learns to use all the little stabilizer muscles.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    I agree with @fitzman84 I love stronglifts :smile: When I was new to the gym I found Jefit (an app you can get on your smartphone) helpful. Also bodybuilding.com has a TON of great routines. Good luck to you.