Breakfast?

Options
Just wondering do you guys eat breakfast, my friends and family are always telling me that eating a healthy breakfast will help you lose weight and is healthy for you etc, but in the mornings i never have an appetite and eating within a few hours of waking up always makes me feel slightly sick.. Also i like to save my calories for the evenings because thats when I get the munchies due to boredom whereas my mornings are pretty busy. I usually eat my first meal at around 1.. should i start forcing myself to eat breakfast??

Replies

• Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    No, I eat breakfast until I feel hungry. Which sometimes it's around noon.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Nope, if you don't like breakfast, don't eat it. Has no effect on health or weight loss. Your friends and family are wrong in this instance.
  • ravenzwart
    ravenzwart Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I had that problem also, but I made myself eat a piece of fruit within an hour after getting out of bed. After a year, i'm used to it and I get hungry if I forget to eat. But still no big breakfast for me.
  • Winterlover123
    Winterlover123 Posts: 352 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I stop eating at 8 pm and I get up around 8 am for work at 9:30 am, I get to work and have a light breakfast and a coffee. On my days off, my body got used to eating around 10 am so I do eat breakfast a bit later than most :)
    Whatever works for you is absolutely fine!
  • clzwyghuizen6
    Options
    I was the same way, but my Doctor told me it was part of my problem. He said that it makes your metabolism enter "starvation mode" and then it stores anything you eat as fat, thinking that you are "starving." I don't eat much for breakfast, but I grab a banana or an apple on my out the door in the morning to eat in the car.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    What matters is total calories at the end of the day. Timing is not important.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I was the same way, but my Doctor told me it was part of my problem. He said that it makes your metabolism enter "starvation mode" and then it stores anything you eat as fat, thinking that you are "starving." I don't eat much for breakfast, but I grab a banana or an apple on my out the door in the morning to eat in the car.

You should get a new doctor.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    There have been all kind of articles saying that eating breakfast helps people lose weight but that's all just theory. Both food choices and meal timing make absolutely no difference in weight loss. The only thing that's vital to weight loss is eating at a reasonable calorie deficit.

Do what works best for you.

I personally need to eat breakfast, and regularly throughout the day, because I have low blood sugar problems and it helps me from being overly hungry later in the day. And I think there are plenty out there like me that are the reason behind that theory. However, there are also plenty of others, like my husband, who can go without eating most of the day without any issues and get most of their calories in at night.
  • fitfabforties
    fitfabforties Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast but not much....this is what I had this morning
    banana 45g 40cal
    Yoplait 100g 35cal
    toast 1 slice, multigrain, no butter 70cal
    honey 1/2 tbsp. 30cal
    coffee mate powder 4 tsp 40cal
    Total - 215 calories
  • Yourkindagirl
    Yourkindagirl Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast every morning. I am a member of Weight Watchers and I have been told by several leaders as well as others that eating revs up the metabolism. The earlier a person eats, the earlier the body begins to work to digest the food and thus, begin burning. Therefore, I do eat breakfast. I usually eat oatmeal and Egg Beater omelets. When I began this journey, I would eat a breakfast bar, a yogurt, or piece of fruit. I would try to eat something with protein in it to keep me feeling fuller longer.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options

If that was the case I wouldn't have lost weight. And I'm still losing. :|
  • angelpinkgal
    angelpinkgal Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I definitely eat breakfast everyday, within two hours of waking. It makes me less hungry for lunch and so i eat less at lunch. Unless, i wake up really close to lunchtime, in which case i only eat lunch. I don't think you should -force- yourself to eat breakfast though. maybe something small? i usually eat a granola bar or a banana or something small like that, it doesnt have to be a large "full" breakfast. :)
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I swim first thing in the morning. Darn right I eat breakfast after I get back from the pool. It would be courting disaster not to.

But let's be frank. It's been pretty well proven (in real medical journals, not fitness mags) that it's how much you eat overall, not when you eat that's the pertinent factor. I do not think waiting until one is hungry to eat is a bad thing.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    When I was skinny I didn't breakfast. After I stopped smoking, I gained and I listened to the "you must eat breakfast to loose weight"-mantra. I put on more weight. I stopped breakfasting after started 5:2 diet. Now I'm loosing again!

It takes the body some hours to digest dinner. The longer you can fast after dinner up to a certain point, the longer fat burn window. "Break fast", it lies in the name. When you start feeding the body at the start of the day, it stops burning fat.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Foamroller wrote: »
    When I was skinny I didn't breakfast. After I stopped smoking, I gained and I listened to the "you must eat breakfast to loose weight"-mantra. I put on more weight. I stopped breakfasting after started 5:2 diet. Now I'm loosing again!

It takes the body some hours to digest dinner. The longer you can fast after dinner up to a certain point, the longer fat burn window. "Break fast", it lies in the name. When you start feeding the body at the start of the day, it stops burning fat.

It takes roughly 40 hours for food to make it completely through the human digestive tract. Which means when you start "fasting" after dinner, your body is still working on digesting your breakfast from the day before. The fat burning window is a myth. Your body's involuntary processes, such as digestion, do not shut down for the night when you go to sleep and force you to run on fat.

• Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    There's really no need to force yourself to eat a morning meal. Many people like to eat in the morning, and some people, like me, don't. It's usually 2pm by the time I have my first meal.

You will often hear the claim that eating more often or eating at certain times will "rev up" your metabolism, or that skipping a meal will cause it to decrease. Such claims are false and are not scientifically backed.

Just do what works out best for you. I know I completely resonate with the idea of saving most of my calories for the evening.
  • shortntall1
    shortntall1 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I eat it like 50% of the time.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to eat breakfast, then don't. Meal timing or frequency is irrelevant to weight loss.

I personally cannot wait. I usually have cereal or oatmeal for breakfast.

If you prefer to save your calories for later in the day, then by all means, do so.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Doesn't he just show up out of the blue? Like, no talk about breakfast for weeks and BOOM, he bumps it all up with his nonsense?

OP, yes I do (about 3-5 hours after I wake up depending on the day), but only because I tend to snack a lot more if I don't.