Gastric Sleeve

Options
I am getting the Gastric sleeve surgery on November 24, 2014. Is there anyone out there that has done this and can give me some pointers for the Pre-Op diet and exercise. What has worked for you or what has not worked for you. What do you wish you had done before the surgery?

Replies

• BEVERLYSTEEN
    BEVERLYSTEEN Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine had the surgery... She had a bucket list of her favorite foods that she wouldn't be eating after the surgery that she wanted before it was done. Also she tried all the shake choices to know which ones she liked.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/search?utf8=✓&phrase=sleeve

Join one or two groups of sleeve people.
  • SuddenlySlimmerSusan
    Options
    I had the sleeve Nov 20, 2013. My highest weight was 367. I was 344 at my surgery. I weigh 213 today and I am still losing. This is what I recommend to have prepared for the first month:

1. Buy some small 2 oz containers. (I bought containers designed for people making and freezing their own baby food - they were freezer and microwave safe.) On my plan the "meals" were 1/4 cup for the first several months. Our meals the first month included things like refried beans with cheese, oatmeal, and various soups. Every can you open is going to have about 7 servings - so it is nice to be able to portion them out and freeze the excess.

2. Buy the vitamins that your program recommends. If they have a recommended pre-op vitamin regimen you should start it.

3. Buy a dozen or more single serving size protein drinks. Don't buy a tub of anything. The things I thought I liked before surgery I found too thick and cloyingly sweet after surgery. After much trial and error post-surgery I eventually settled on Syntrax Nectar drinks mixed with water (they have about 20 different flavors and you can get single packets of them to try). Unjury also has single serving packets of their protein powders. GNC sells several ready made protein drinks that you can buy individually or at most in 4 packs. Get a variety of different types. In our support group the most common post-surgery problem is finding a protein shake you like and meeting your daily protein minimums. Consider protein drinks that you can drink warm - my first several months post surgery were cold weather, and I much preferred and had an easier time drinking hot beverages. (Generally none of them can be heated above 120 degrees however or the proteins denature and they clump - so invest in a food thermometer.)

4. Taper back and work on giving up caffeine and carbonated beverages if your program requires it. You don't want to be quitting cold turkey the day before your surgery.

5, My program didn't have a specific pre-op diet. After seeing what other people on line went through with 12 days of liquid diet, or other such thing, ultimately I was grateful. You don't need to practice eating pre-surgery the way you are going to have to eat immediately post-surgery. Your body is going to respond to food so differently after surgery. You are not going to be hungry. 1/4 cup is going to fill you up. You will struggle to sip and drink they 64 oz of fluid they request every day. So pre-surgery, just try to focus on reasonable, mindful eating.

6. I recommend joining your local YMCA. As with any gym, our Y has all of the weight and cardio equipment you could possibly need, but also a huge variety of classes. It is much easier to develop and stick with an exercise program if you find things you actually enjoy doing (rather than just force yourself to do because you know your supposed to). I love the pool, so for me aquaerobics and swimming have been things I have been able to stick with. For others it might be zumba, spin classes (biking), kick boxing, basketball, yoga or whatever.

I didn't do the bucket list of foods - one of the great things about the sleeve is that no foods are going to be restricted forever. There are things you won't be able to eat for several months, but the sleeve is really a portion control device. I suppose you could visit your favorite buffets one last time, because buffets are a serious waste of money post-sleeve. However, keep in mind, many programs will refuse surgery if you gain more weight before surgery. So keep your "bucket list" eating in moderation.

Good luck. It is an amazing adventure. I have had no complications, and my life has improved exponentially with this weight loss.
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I would recommend starting your exercise program --- at least 30 minutes total per day of some type of walking, biking, etc. Anything that gets you moving. And strength training so you don't lose muscle. It has helped so much with recovery (I was sleeved on 9/18/14). Good luck!! :)
  • 4menotyou730
    Options
    I'm having the sleeve done on 10/21/14 Good luck. Feel free to add me.
  • benagek
    benagek Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I just had my surgery Sept. 26, 2014. Feel free to add me as I'm always looking for others that are going through the same process to compare notes with.
  • maier_la
    Options
    I am scheduled for surgery Nov 12th. I'm nervously excited! I didn't know MFP had message boards, let alone a group dedicated to the sleeve. I was just doing research on protein drinks and this thread came up. Lucky me!!
  • ink_b1tch
    ink_b1tch Posts: 101
    Options
    Well I did not have the sleeve because of the stats on weight gain back. I had the full Gastro Bypass. The social part of it is very difficult to get use to. You are done eating 20 min before everyone else, friends might comment on why are you not eating more. Co-workers can be the worst because of their eating habits and having lunch with them. Be ready to accept that you social interactions will change, they will not be the same. This could include you becoming a different person, yes on the inside because you now love yourself and have self confidence. Be prepared for complications. I had full open for medical reasons instead of a lapro, so I ended up with a serious infection. However once I got that under control I was off and running so to speak. I at a lot of yogurt and jello. Good luck on your journey, it will be fun and frustrating at the same time...just have faith and FOLLOW YOU POST OP INSTRUCTIONS AND FOOD, even 5 years from now or the weight will come back. Remember this is a lifestyle change, if you don't change you will have done this for nothing and put weight back on.
  • Cathymac29
    Options
    Hi I am due to get my sleeve on 20th November which is exciting! I have been doing the pre-op diet for 13 days now but it is getting easier. Feel free to add me, I would love to hear how others are getting on post op!
  • ktpie76
    ktpie76 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Here is my group! Im a year out, give or take. Best decision ever! http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100820-gastric-sleeve-before-during-and-after