Something wrong with my eyes

Options
I've lost 22.5 lbs over the past year and a half. Here's the thing though. I don't really see any difference. I can see it in measurements and clothes for sure. If I tried to wear the pants I had before they'd fall off and my measurements have gone down everywhere. But I look in the mirror and I see the same fat girl who was there when I first started this. People say to go off what you see in the mirror for when to stop so I'm trying to do that. But I always see fat everywhere until there is nothing but bones (the only place I see that now is my wrists which have always been tiny and not prone to hold fat). Any help?

I included a picture of me taken a few weeks ago (I think I've lost a lb or two since then)

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I am very critical of myself. I see things that other people don't see or care about. That is what drives me to continue to eat right and work out. Nothing wrong with that.

That said, there is a point that it can become an eating disorder. Anorexia and Bulimia tend to stem from self perception issues similar to what you are talking about. If you are doing unhealthy things, getting depressed, losing muscle, getting extremely underweight, etc., you may want to seek some assistance. Chances are, if you are worried about your well-being due to this, go talk to someone that is qualified to help in person - not this forum!
  • findingmyw1ngs
    findingmyw1ngs Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    GauchoMark wrote: »
    I am very critical of myself. I see things that other people don't see or care about. That is what drives me to continue to eat right and work out. Nothing wrong with that.

That said, there is a point that it can become an eating disorder. Anorexia and Bulimia tend to stem from self perception issues similar to what you are talking about. If you are doing unhealthy things, getting depressed, losing muscle, getting extremely underweight, etc., you may want to seek some assistance. Chances are, if you are worried about your well-being due to this, go talk to someone that is qualified to help in person - not this forum!

How do I know if I'm losing muscle instead of fat? Also, what is considered extremely underweight? Thanks!
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I think calling yourself fat with only 22 extra pounds is overly dramatic. What are you looking for people to tell you when they see your picture? That you're not fat? Do you by any chance have/had an eating disorder?
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have a distorted body image, you look too skinny in that picture, I definitely would not keep losing. Maybe what you need to do is lift weights and tone up, not keep punishing your body.
  • findingmyw1ngs
    Options
    I think calling yourself fat with only 22 extra pounds is overly dramatic. What are you looking for people to tell you when they see your picture? That you're not fat? Do you by any chance have/had an eating disorder?

No, I'm looking for people to help me. Because, quite frankly, I don't always see the difference between myself and someone who is 40 lbs heavier then me and the same height. And I included my picture because sometimes people have asked for my stats and I thought a picture would do better then sharing them. As for eating disorders, I eat differently then other people, but I don't think I have an eating disorder.
  • findingmyw1ngs
    Options
    It sounds like you have a distorted body image, you look too skinny in that picture, I definitely would not keep losing. Maybe what you need to do is lift weights and tone up, not keep punishing your body.

Really? I look too skinny? How so? I'm actually genuinely confused because I have never seen myself as too skinny or anywhere near that.

Maybe that is what I need to do with weights. But I have no idea where to even start with that. Any advice?
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    GauchoMark wrote: »
    ... That said, there is a point that it can become an eating disorder. Anorexia and Bulimia tend to stem from self perception issues similar to what you are talking about. If you are doing unhealthy things, getting depressed, losing muscle, getting extremely underweight, etc., you may want to seek some assistance. Chances are, if you are worried about your well-being due to this, go talk to someone that is qualified to help in person - not this forum!

+1

'Extremely underweight' depends on your height.

Based on your photo and your own words it doesn't seem like the reality of your current physique is quite meshing with what your brain is allowing you to see.

This is something that will require professional intervention - so please go seek professional assistance.
  • GauchoMark
    Options
    How do I know if I'm losing muscle instead of fat? Also, what is considered extremely underweight? Thanks!

You can figure it out lots of ways. The easiest is you use a fat monitor. A lot of bathroom scales have them or if you go to the gym they probably have one there too. It isn't an extremely accurate way, but it is OK to see trends and is fast, easy, and painless.

As for figuring out if you are underweight, the best way is to look at your % fat (see above paragraph!). Some people will say BMI, but that is flawed in my opinion. BMI says I am obese - see my profile pics... For women, if you are between about 20-30% body fat, you are in a healthy range. If you are between 14-20%, and are not a fitness fanatic, you might be a little underweight. Any less than that and you are definitely underweight.

The photo you posted doesn't look like you are in the unhealthy range, but you definitely appear lean. You might be able to get the appearance you are after by building a little more muscle. Eat at maintenance for a couple of months and start lifting weights and cut back cardio a little.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    thats a small pic but you look good, wood bang

body dysmorphia is a real thing that effects a ton of people, especially in the fitness industry. check out some eating disorder resources with an open mind, its hard to self diagnose these sort of things
  • GauchoMark
    Options
    geez... lots of very negative, judgmental sentiments in here...
  • squeepig
    squeepig Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I had the opposite problem for years. I never saw myself as fat.
  • GauchoMark
    Options
    BigT555 wrote: »
    thats a small pic but you look good, wood bang

body dysmorphia is a real thing that effects a ton of people, especially in the fitness industry. check out some eating disorder resources with an open mind, its hard to self diagnose these sort of things

lol! Hey if you click the image name it gets bigger.

But, as he said in his own special way, I think you look great. Definitely not fat, not overly skinny, maybe not perfect in your own eyes, but you look great.
  • court_fritch26
    court_fritch26 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when I started losing larger amounts of weight, and I realized that it's mainly because I see myself every day. I lost about 20 lbs in about 4 months and didn't see much difference, but my friends and family all did.

Just remember you see yourself every day, so when you see changes over larger amounts of time your mind doesn't see them as much. You look fantastic.