Not Even Sure I Should Post Here

Options
New to MFP, but not new to dieting. I have lost and gained quite literally hundreds of pounds. I was a Diet Center counselor for a few years and if you name a diet, I've probably been on it. So...

I'm taking off some weight because I am trying to bring my swim time down to be able to do the Alcatraz swim safely. (It's really not a great idea to do it if you can't swim a mile in 40 minutes. Tides, that sort of thing) I'm just not hydrodynamic enough to get there yet.

I'm doing the calorie counting thing because I'm sick of Evil Foods Diets, and doing it this way gives me the ability to have a social life, and go according to food whim. (No, dinner really shouldn't be french fries and mostly isn't, but this gives me leeway)

So exercise. I swim. I love freeweights, but haven't gotten back in the weight room because I have a limited time to work out and I've been spending it swimming. I may throw in some dumbbells at home just to make sure I'm doing weight-bearing exercise every now and then.

I don't expect being thin to change my life. My life is pretty damn good. While fat (5'3", size 22), I'm healthy enough. I have a style that suits me and that's unlikely to change. My kids are cool people, and are mostly out of the house. I love to knit and sew and write and dance and swim and travel with my husband, and I doubt that's going to change either. I love good books and good chocolate, and I'll continue to do so.

So, really, the weight is coming off because I'm crazy and want to do a swim that's slightly dangerous, a little macho and seems kinda fun. That's about it.

Replies

• VeraCaselles
    Options
    I love your zest for life. Although I think I am older than you, I can identify with so much of what you have to say! I love my family, have fun hanging out with my husband, and love to travel. I am not looking for a new way to deprive myself, I just want to be a little more accountable for getting fit and I am hoping this site will help.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Hi! I hope you give updates on your training and Alcatraz swim. Are you someone who swims in the Bay regularly? That water is cold!!

55835802.png

• knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I like to knit too, is that kind of obvious? LOL. While visiting my husband's brother in SF I went to ImaginKnit and it was fantastic!

I started losing weight due to a fun fitness goal as well, not because of some standard of physical beauty I wanted to obtain. That's the only way it's stuck for me in my whole life. I'm going to send you a friend request if that's OK?
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    sodakat wrote: »
    Hi! I hope you give updates on your training and Alcatraz swim. Are you someone who swims in the Bay regularly? That water is cold!!

I live on the other side of the country, but we have lots of friends in the Bay area, so this is kind of an excuse to visit them and do something fun. But, living in the Northeast, there is no shortage of COLD water to acclimate myself in!
  • vettim16
    vettim16 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    What a great goal! How many miles is that swim?
  • MomforNoah
    Options
    Wow ! You go girl. I'm from Northern Ca and that water is cold and rough. You can do it!
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    vettim16 wrote: »
    What a great goal! How many miles is that swim?

1.5 miles more or less. Which isn't really that long of a swim. What makes the Alcatraz swim such a big deal is that it's cold and that the SF bay has some REALLY strong tides.

(Not to mention it being a busy bay with boats, shipping and wildlife...)