Anyone ever LOST weight QUITTING DIET COLA?

Options

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    OP is from 2 years ago.
  • No not at all. I only drank one a day but stopping that has not made a difference to me.
  • yc4king
    yc4king Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    People can argue until the cows come home about regular pop vs diet pop but the simple fact remains that if you are drinking 6-7 cans of ANY pop a day you have a problem....
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    No. I switched from regular soda to diet in order to help me lose weight. And it worked.
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Yes! I was a huge Diet Dr Pepper, Diet Mt Dew and Coke Zero drinker. A few liters a day! When I cut out soda completely I lost a lot. Then when I cut out all sugars and splenda I lost even more.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I actually ate more carbs and junk when I quit drinking diet pop. I've tried it both ways, just to see if there was any truth to what people say. I didn't find any and ended up eating more. So I went back to drinking it. It helps with my cravings.
  • yc4king
    yc4king Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Grankakes wrote: »
    I don't care what others say - I lost 9 pounds the first week off diet dr pepper. I was drinking a 2-liter per day. sometimes more. I quit and started drinking water - I know that the 9 pounds was probably water-weight, but hey - it has really helped me stay focused drinking only water. I know the carbonation and caffeine and artificial sweetener just isn't good for you! Good luck!

Dr Pepper (diet and regular) has 100mg of sodium/591ml, your loss was probably water weight as you suspected, from removing a substantial amount of salt from your diet.

• ImmaZombie
    Options
    I will say that I quit drinking diet pop (again) several days ago. Two days after I stopped drinking it, I dropped 9 lbs overnight. Weirdest thing. The only change was not drinking the diet pop. That's just my way cool experience with not drinking it. :)
  • Jesssamesssa
    Jesssamesssa Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I did. I stopped drinking diet coke april 2012. Dropped 6-8 lbs.
  • LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Down 38lbs and I drink diet pepsi daily. I don't find it makes me crave anything.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you're asking exactly, but if eliminating a zero calorie substance from your diet is the only change you make, you're not going to lose weight.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    icmuse wrote: »
    Aspartame is pretty much as evil as evil gets.

Diet soda (pop) that has aspartame in it can actually change your hormonal/brain chemistry in such way, that is makes you hungrier in a long run. And it affects the rest of the body in many negative ways as well. Tons of articles here:

http://search.mercola.com/search/pages/Results.aspx?k=aspartame

Also watch the movie: Hungry for Change (super enlightening as far as nutrition goes)

All incorrect.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Zombie thread.

But since no one seems to care, I quit drinking diet soda for a while in February and lost 2-3 lbs per week. Pretty sure it's because I also cut my calories to 1250 at the same time, though. I subsequently added back in some diet soda and my rate of loss did not change.

Maybe some find that diet soda makes them crave sugar more, but I do not.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    yc4king wrote: »
    People can argue until the cows come home about regular pop vs diet pop but the simple fact remains that if you are drinking 6-7 cans of ANY pop a day you have a problem....

Why?? Show me scientific proof that this is the case. I just took a look at the ingredients in my Cherry Coke Zero, very first ingredient is carbonated water. So the first ingredient is water. Yes there are some other chemicals in there, caffeine for example, but the primary is still water.

Now, I do know if I was a rat and I drank the equivalent of a 140+ cans I might have a problem, but that is just crazy talk, so probably not going to happen.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I am/ was seriously hooked on diet soda. I have cut it in half or maybe even more. My weight loss rate hasn't changed. I did go thru about 2 weeks of increased hunger that was almost never satisfied despite even increasing calories. I did not see a gain from the food. I wasn't craving anything in particular just close to dying from hunger.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    bev40ish wrote: »
    After quitting drinking diet soda several months ago, I have noticed that my taste buds are more sensitive to the natural sweetness of fruits and vegetables, so they taste heavenly, and I'm completely satisfied with just a sweet potato, apple or even corn. I also noticed that I could no longer stand the taste of my chewy chocolate calcium "candy". (Ick!) Since, I'm maintaining my weight, I don't know if it would help me actually lose weight, but I think it's helping me maintain my weight loss.

However, I don't think drinking diet soda prevented me from losing weight during the 15+ years that I drank it. (I did lose wiehgt while drinking it and maintain a 60 lb loss for 3 years). But, MAYBE, it would have been easier to resist sweets if I had stopped drinking it earlier. I don't know, because I still have an addiction to sugar and can't have easy access to sweets.

Just a side note: When I quit drinking it, I went through a very bad withdrawal for about 10-14 days, and it WAS NOT caffeine withdrawal-- I drank 5-6 cans of diet 7-up every day (no caffeine). I had headaches, felt "foggy", sleepy, fatigued, and even went to the doctor to get blood work done before I realized that that it was aspartame withdrawal. (I drank one pop after the first 7 days and was immediately "cured" of my symptoms within just 1 hour.) I decided that if aspartame can cause me to feel so terrible after quitting it, I'm done with it for good and will never ingest it again.

I can relate to the symptoms you had plus extremely hungry.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Zombie thread.

But since no one seems to care, I quit drinking diet soda for a while in February and lost 2-3 lbs per week. Pretty sure it's because I also cut my calories to 1250 at the same time, though. I subsequently added back in some diet soda and my rate of loss did not change.

Maybe some find that diet soda makes them crave sugar more, but I do not.

D'oh... I didn't even see that with the new layout.

• justalittlecrazy
    justalittlecrazy Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I can speak for myself only on this one... I don't think having artificially sweetened items made me fat but I do know that when I eat a product with artificial sweeteners, I feel particularly hungry throughout the day. That's not terribly scientific but I have cut out all artificial sweeteners. The jury might be out, officially, on whether they are good/bad for you but you certainly can't go wrong by avoiding them.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I cold turkey soda on my first day. Not sure if it helped in my progress but it did make the way for me to have water as my main fluid intake which is great.

• Tea_Mistress
    Tea_Mistress Posts: 105 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    doesn't affect my weight at all :) I drink a diet drink most days and have a coffee with sweetener every day. i don't know how legit this 'sweeteners cause cravings thing' is , but Imo I think it's a psychological thing from just hearing about it everywhere. 'psychosomatic' as one might say...

: I don't have cravings for sugar either, I'm a cheese fan :3