Time to Spice up my LAME workout routine

Options
Running is the only form of exercise i do. I do it about 4 times a week, 2-3 miles per session. I would like to start incorporation more things to my workout routine. any ideas

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Sprints. Weight training. Jump rope. Sports.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I don't even know where to start. I get bored easy....at home I have a punching bag, treadmill, spin bike, pole, swimming pool, Lebert equalizers for body weight exercises, and a place to do planks, pushups, stretch, etc. I also like to go to the high school and run the stairs at the football stadium. That keeps me focused, can't day dream like on the treadmill or bike or else I'll eat it hard.
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Sprints. Weight training. Jump rope. Sports.

• Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    oh and weights. yes.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Strength training for sure. But also mix up your runs: hills, fartleks, sprints, HIIT.
  • cohenida
    cohenida Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I read in one of the blogs, I think, about staying within a certain pulse level tp efficiently burn fat calories. Can anyone tell me what date that blog was so I can reread it.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Barbell training or any form of lifting, really
  • medlaura
    medlaura Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »

I would like to start lifting, I just don't know where to start :(
  • medlaura
    medlaura Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    kshadows wrote: »
    Strength training for sure. But also mix up your runs: hills, fartleks, sprints, HIIT.

What is HIIT?
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I run too. Some other things I do - weight training, yoga, other forms of cardio and interval training.

I second (or third?) the idea of mixing up your runs. Vary your distance, your route, and your pace. Work on sprints or hills for a fun & challenging workout. Don't get bored!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    medlaura wrote: »

Stronglifts, Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting...google those. They are all beginner programs.
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options

Strong lifts 5X5, New Rules for Lifting - check the forums for beginner programs
  • msmaggs89
    msmaggs89 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Play with intervals! Even if you aren't going to the gym and don't want to invest in new equipment, intervals are the best way to burn fat. Steady-state cardio doesn't work half as hard for you as intervals do. Basically, the way you work when you go hard for 30 seconds sprints and then rest is so much better, you want to get that heart rate up and down. You burn most of the calories afterwards (sleeping, sitting, watching TV) as your body fixes itself up after the hard work. And you can try to go harder, faster, and play with it, it'll keep you engaged. Its a way to maximize your output, if the body gets used to an activity, you lose the benefit.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

What is HIIT?

High intensity interval training is a ratio of hard work: by rest or light work. For example I jump rope hard for 20 secs than rest for 10 secs. Repeat till I am hurting. Only like a 4 minute cardio workout.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

What is HIIT?

High intensity interval training is a ratio of hard work: by rest or light work. For example I jump rope hard for 20 secs than rest for 10 secs. Repeat till I am hurting. Only like a 4 minute cardio workout.
    traditionally Tabata is only 4 min.. and I want to say they are broken up into 10 second breaks.

HIIT is any interval training that has little to no rest and moves quickly from one exercise to another.
    A common one is a 50-75 seconds with 10-15 second of rest- these are usually 10-20 min long- anything over 20 minutes isn't really HIIT- or is more or less counter productive.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

What is HIIT?

traditionally Tabata is only 4 min.. and I want to say they are broken up into 10 second breaks.

HIIT is any interval training that has little to no rest and moves quickly from one exercise to another.
    A common one is a 50-75 seconds with 10-15 second of rest- these are usually 10-20 min long- anything over 20 minutes isn't really HIIT- or is more or less counter productive.

I thought that what I said. High intensity is not just any interval training. There a big difference between interval training and high intensity which is different for every individual.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

What is HIIT?

I thought that what I said. High intensity is not just any interval training. There a big difference between interval training and high intensity which is different for every individual.

I was specifically addressing the "4 min" comment.

Tabata is specifically 4 min.

HIIT is not.
  • goanothermile
    goanothermile Posts: 98 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Running is the only form of exercise i do. I do it about 4 times a week, 2-3 miles per session. I would like to start incorporation more things to my workout routine. any ideas

I used to run only. In fact, it is still my preferred exercise.

I experienced a calf injury earlier this year while training for a half marathon. According to the physical therapist, one of the contributing factors was lack of flexibility. She recommended that consistent stretching and some yoga poses would help. (Frankly... that was so boring that I couldn't stay motivated to do it.)

I decided to add a yoga class, and later, StrongLifts weight training. The combination of tracking calories on MFP and core strength training have helped me shed some weight.

My running performance has really improved. I ran a half last weekend that was a new personal best. I cut 8.5 minutes off my prior best time to finish in 1:48. This was my 9th half marathon race, so that was huge improvement for me.

I didn't train a lot differently than I had in the past, so some of effort outside of running must be paying off.
  • goanothermile
    goanothermile Posts: 98 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Delete double post