Scared of being "sore" after workout class?

Options
I used to go to barre class everyday, and stopped for the past month. I went two weeks ago for 3 days and was extremely sore. I haven't gone back since because I'm scared of the struggle/soreness. Any tips to get beyond this mental road block?

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    The best cure for sore muscles is to use the muscles. If you don't go back to the classes, your muscles will remain sore for longer than if you go back.
  • dclark566
    dclark566 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Love the workout pain! Embrace it, you are actually doing good for your body!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    The best cure for sore muscles is to use the muscles. If you don't go back to the classes, your muscles will remain sore for longer than if you go back.

This
  • VaxSA
    VaxSA Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    ^ she is telling the truth. I once knew a very wise man who used to call it the 3 day rule - you just have to get through 3 days, and all the pain lessens to a bearable level - whether it be relationship breakups, toothaches, gym soreness - this man has been proven right in every area of my life. Just do it for three days, take day 4 off, and day 5 you will be very surprised with yourself. You've got this!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Just do it.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    The longer you go in between classes, the more sore you're gonna be. The only way to stop being sore is to push through it.
  • porscheMD
    porscheMD Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If I'm sore the next day can I work out again or do I have to wait until the soreness goes away?
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Suck it up--soreness should be considered a badge of honor. (Pain, on the other hand...)
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    As long as you are only working out intermittently, you will experience soreness (aka DOMS).

I get REALLY bad DOMS - worse than most people. It can be debilitating if I've taken more than a week or so off. So I don't. I work out consistently, the DOMS goes away after a few workouts, and is replaced by a not-unpleasant tightness in my muscles.

All you can do is work though it.

(Some people will no doubt post here that taking BCAAs or some such thing will prevent or lessen your DOMS. It won't. Nothing will. Take some Aleve on your off days and keep going.)
  • porscheMD
    porscheMD Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Zaxie wrote: »
    ^ she is telling the truth. I once knew a very wise man who used to call it the 3 day rule - you just have to get through 3 days, and all the pain lessens to a bearable level - whether it be relationship breakups, toothaches, gym soreness - this man has been proven right in every area of my life. Just do it for three days, take day 4 off, and day 5 you will be very surprised with yourself. You've got this!

Oh wow. Those are very wise words :) Thank you. I'll try to do it for three days!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely work out the next day (since I'm just getting back on the wagon, I'm sore more days than not and only take Saturdays off), with one caveat: if the soreness affects your form, I wouldn't do anything that you could hurt yourself with (lifting, plyo). If it's really bad, just do a walk and lots of stretching.

• Screwedntattooed
    Screwedntattooed Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    suck it up!
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you really just have to push through it. I get horrible DOMS because I'm older and don't bounce back the way I used to. So I just sort of mentally prepare myself for it, take some ibuprofen maybe like an hour or so before class, drink some coffee, and plan that I'm going to feel like crap in 2-3 days. Oh well. It gets better. :) And lots of hot showers afterwards.
  • sus49
    sus49 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    When doing the class be sure to squeeze your buttocks and inner thighs together (even when doing plies) and lift your abdominals.

Be sure to do a gentle stretch after the class. Do not bounce or push: just ease into the stretch and breathe.

Try a Steam room, sauna, whirl pool or hot bath with epsom salts before bed. And if you find at bedtime you are still sore, take ibuprofen (and milk if stomach is empty)
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Someone once asked me what was my motivation to consistently workout, my answer was "PAIN. it hurts too much when I stop!"

But seriously, do your workout. If the DOMS is severe, go light the next day. Definitely use the muscles, but lightly. I will go for a long walk, or bike ride. Movement is better for your muscles. Try your best to continue on schedule as best you can. The more fit you are, the better you will feel.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    To a large degree, you're just going to have to deal with it and realize it's not the end of the world. You also need to get used to the idea that this is going to be a difficult, uncomfortable process.

That said, there are things you can do to minimize soreness. Stretch and foam roll as much as you can... I try to do it morning and evening and it does make a difference. Use the muscles that you know typically get sore. If it's your lower body, go for a walk/run/bike ride/etc. If it's your upper body, do some low resistance stuff (exercise bands can be great for this). I frequently plan a run following leg day just to help with recovery. Using the muscle will help keep it lose and speed recovery.

Some people will tell you that increased protein intake can help with soreness, but I don't know if there's any science that speaks to this either way.
  • nam985
    nam985 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Put on your big girl/big boy panties, suck it up and keep going! It may seem harsh, but it's true. The only way to stop being sore after a workout is to consistently work out.

Try to switch up your mindset, look at the post exercise soreness as positive thing, you pushed your body beyond the border of its comfort zone and each workout will continue to move that border a little further away.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I guess I'm weird that way....if I'm not sore the day after a class, I feel like I wasted my time.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    nam985 wrote: »
    Put on your big girl/big boy panties, suck it up and keep going! It may seem harsh, but it's true. The only way to stop being sore after a workout is to consistently work out.

this. and never be scared of something just pushes you out side your comfort zone- that's how we grow as people.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    porscheMD wrote: »
    I used to go to barre class everyday, and stopped for the past month. I went two weeks ago for 3 days and was extremely sore. I haven't gone back since because I'm scared of the struggle/soreness. Any tips to get beyond this mental road block?

As crazy as it sounds you will feel better if you work out.