Different sources of protein

Options
Hello,
I struggle with hitting my protein target- mainly because I don't like the main sources protein, so wondering if any of you kind lot can suggest some other types I can try.
heres what I don't like
I can't eat fish or any type of sea food. I've tried to like it but I just can't stomach it.
I'm not a fan of nuts or seeds, just don't like the taste, though I can eat if covered/mixed in with something
Eggs- I can eat them but only once in a while, I can't eat if I've cooked them
Chicken- I get fed up of chicken quickly so only manage 1-2 portions per week.

That makes me look really fussy, I'm not really will eat anything well apart from those. But any suggestions very much welcome

Replies

• TweedAddict
    TweedAddict Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    How about Nutella? Would that be high in protein? Or is it outweighed by the chocolate and sugar?
  • TweedAddict
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Read the label^^^^^

I really don't get your arsey comment, obviously you feel the need to be rude. I'm trying to learn about the nutritional side of what I should be eating. Reading the label just gives me numbers, I need to learn how that relates to weight and nutritional values.

Sorry for asking questions.

• TweedAddict
    Options
    Well if you've read the end of my last thread you will see the out come. Also I have taken on board the advise given, one of which is that I don't eat enough protein, hence asking?
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Sources of protein:
    Meat
    Fish
    Dairy Products
    Nuts & Seeds
    Pulses and Legumes.

I learned a lot just by reading the labels on things when I did my shopping.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Well if you've read the end of my last thread you will see the out come. Also I have taken on board the advise given, one of which is that I don't eat enough protein, hence asking?
    Nuts in general are a good source of fat, not protein and nutella would have even more sugar. You can look up nutrition labels online:
    http://www.nutellausa.com/nutrition-facts.htm
    12g of fat, 2g of protein.
    You really do need to read the labels. Try beans and lentils, cheese.
  • karenbobaren
    karenbobaren Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I've been having trouble keeping my protein up so this thread could help me too!
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt
  • Basilin
    Basilin Posts: 360 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Kinda wondering if you have an issue with protein if you can't stomach so many protein-rich foods like eggs and meat. You might want to talk to a nutritionist or a doctor about this.

Cottage cheese, soy beans (edamame at Japanese restaurants, I swear, I could eat a bowl full!), skim milk, high protein grains like whole wheat, oats and quinoa, protein powders can be a good way to get in extra protein, spinach and other leafy greens (you can hide them in smoothies if you have a sweet tooth), greek yogurt and cheese, to suggest a few. You could try high protein breakfast cereals (some are labeled as such) and find recipes for baked goods that are high in protein and low in fat. Egg whites can be hidden in all sorts of things, too: http://www.eggbeaters.com/recipes/egg-white-recipes

A little bit adds up if you include protein in every meal. Keep looking and good luck!
  • TweedAddict
    Options
    Thank you for answering. Never thought Greek yogurt or cottage cheese would be good sources. Something I would never thought to pick up when out shopping. Then you've said protein powders too, I must have a Google and see about them as never thought about taking a supplement, thought that was for the serious fit people.

Thanks
  • Basilin
    Basilin Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Thank you for answering. Never thought Greek yogurt or cottage cheese would be good sources. Something I would never thought to pick up when out shopping. Then you've said protein powders too, I must have a Google and see about them as never thought about taking a supplement, thought that was for the serious fit people.

Thanks

Cottage cheese is mad high in protein, and low in fat if you get 2% fat. A lot of people don't like the texture though. Greek yogurt is also high. The kind I get (Zoi nonfat) has 15 g per serving.

I felt pretty self conscious buying one of those giant tubs of protein powder since I'm no where near an athlete, but there is no reason you can't include it in a regular diet!

Wanted to add looking at your diary: Be sure that the items you select from the database are accurate. Sometimes you're getting more of something (or less) than you think. Cross reference different databases and check packaging to make sure you're getting as correct of numbers as possible (you may already do that, but just checking). :)

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    How about Nutella? Would that be high in protein? Or is it outweighed by the chocolate and sugar?

That is going to depend on your goals, which is why learning to read and understand a nutrition label is really helpful. I don't know the protein/carb/fat content of Nutella off the top of my head, and even if I did I wouldn't know how that fits into your personal needs.

Chocolate and sugar by themselves are not "bad." They add calories, which can make that particular food harder to fit into your diet, but again that's a personal thing. I might make an adjustment to my day to fit some dark chocolate peanut butter in. Others would choose to skip it. "Read the label" might seem snarky, but it really is what you need to do to determine whether or not the chocolate/sugar content is worth it for your personal goals.

String cheese is one of my favorite protein boosters. They tend to be 50-70 calories per piece and around 6 grams of protein. But again, you can read the label and decide for yourself whether or not they fit in your goals.

Also, beef jerky or turkey jerky.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Steak, beef, eggs, anything that had a mother.
  • ladyrhodes2
    ladyrhodes2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Have you tried quinoa!
  • pope66682
    pope66682 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    protein powder
  • workoutworker
    workoutworker Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try protein bars up to 30grms of protein or yogurt. Frozen yogurt, mix yogurt with frozen fruit and blend. Protein powders in a shake or pancakes.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

That is going to depend on your goals, which is why learning to read and understand a nutrition label is really helpful. I don't know the protein/carb/fat content of Nutella off the top of my head, <snip>

Also, beef jerky or turkey jerky.
    I posted the link to the label just above...

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options