I'm a food machine !!

Options
I waited so long before taking the courage to write this thread but I think enough is enough!!

Firstly I'm a female 25 years old and have 1 toddler. I'm not working at the moment and I'm studying at home ( open university ) which means I'm 99% of the time inside the house. Absolutely no gym, I hate sport and I hate sweating I feel tired if I walk 20 minutes which is awkward for someone in her twenties !!

One year before getting pregnant my weight jumped from 70 Kg to 85 Kg !! by the last week of pregnancy I reached 3 numbers on the scale !! My weight stopped in 94 Kg for a full year and after deciding to get rid of this flabby fat everywhere in my body it took me weeks of hard work of walking and following a strict diet until I reached 87 Kg.

The problem now is that I feel that I really can't do it anymore, I'm so upset of saying this but that's what's inside my mind. I used to have a nice shape and wear a size 10 but yeah this was years ago I'm now a size 16 with a round chubby face, legs full of cellulite, stretch marks in my love handles ::::(

I'm now simply a food machine I eat toooo much I mean just tooo much .... I eat even if I'm feeling full. I don't enjoy my meals same before. I eat them and there is a huge feeling of disgust toward what I'm doing. Winter is coming now and I hate this season because I know even if I motivate myself again to go for long walks ( I hate treadmills ) the weather will be a big turn off.

I know i'm the only person who can help myself but I feel like there 0 will power in me, everyday I promise to start a new day without sugary things and I will limit my calories and get rid of all the juice and sodas in the fridge but the next day I put all this promises in the bin and start consuming like a crazy.

I will appreciate any advice or any help from someone who has been in a similar situation in the past, also I will be grateful if anyone can tell me about anything that will reaally really curb my appetite, please don't tell me to drink a glass of water or eat an apple because this things are just making me more hungry. I've tried so many things on the market like acai berry, raspberry ketones, green coffee .... and all that was a simple waste of money for me !!

I started thinking about saving for a gastric band but I really know nothing about the procedure and the side effects and prefer to lose weight without any surgeries !!

Please help please please I started feeling depressed because of this :(

Thank you

Replies

• branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately you said it correctly when you said that only you can make the change. It sounds as though you may want to consider some counceling to talk about the insecurities you have with yourself. It also sounds like by doing what you are doing to your body you are harming yourself. You mentioned having a toddler?? Do you want to be around for that toddler while he/she grows up into a young adult and then an adult? If the answer is yes you need to seek the advice of your doctor to make sure that you havent already harmed yourself. And ask the doctor the best course of action for your specific situation. Good luck to you.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    This is what works for me:
    Don't set a too aggressive calorie goal. Be consistent, but not obsessive about it.
    Prelog when you can.
    Eat meals.
    Make most of your food yourself, from scratch.
    Eat food you like.
    Make sure to eat a varied diet with some food from all the food groups every day.
    Every meal and snack should contain protein, fat and carbs.
    Don't deprive yourself from goodies completely, but don't eat candy all the time.
    Learn what "hungry" and "full" and all the steps inbetween means and feels like.
    Get enough rest.
    Surround yourself with people who give you good vibes.
    Exercise, but don't overdo it.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Log your food. Set conservative calories goals. Control your portions to hit your calories goals. Think of sweat as fat crying as it leaves your body. Take it one day at a time.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Are you a single parent or do you have a family and support system around you? Its all a bit chicken and egg with the depression at the forefront. Your relationship with food appears just as much to be destryctive ccomfort eating as anything else, so I think you need to stop digging and retrain your mind so you have a real grasp of whats going on and how you will get out of it. You need to convince yourself that your solution will work and commit to putting it into action.

You sound smart and know some of the things you have to do or at least should be doing. Whilst I accept that everyone finds their own diet and what works for them then you should also realise that by cutting out options this will limit the progress of your endeavour.

Have you been to see your GP about the depression? Im worried that you dont yet have the commitment or self belief to put a plan into action. If you get a support system and a good plan then you can put lots of small targets in place which will then reinforce you making progress. This will help with the depression as well as making progress is good as is exercise. Pehaps you need that support system to feel a bit accountable to or more likely you want encouragement and that someone out there cares whether you make progress. As you pointed out most of the motivation needs to come from you.

As for being the food machine you can curb it if you want to. one method by MFP is to log everything and understand what your maintenance weight is. By keeping a record of what you are consuming then it can come as a shock and you gain a better understanding of the amounts you need and how much overeating you are doing. It cna also help you understand how by eating more than you need which is your choice it pushes you away from your target. You know this, but at some stage you can change your behaviour so you start in the right direction again if that is what you want.

Until you are ready to commit and prepared to take the measures needed, then you are going to frustrate yourself. Hope you cna sit down and get some clarity. Its prefectly possible for you to get to goal its just moderation of eating habit over time with possible extra help from nutrition and exercise. One day one week one month.

Look at the inspiration section and the people who have lostway more than you need to because they applied this technique consistently and just did it despite setbacks. You can 100% do it, but you need to get it clear in your head what you are doing and have a decent plan. ggood luck.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Some good advice above.

I don't mean this to sound rude, but have you thought about your mental health? You sound like you know what you need to do, you know you need to do it, but you are knowingly taking the destructive path. You are consciously overeating and choosing not to exercise. There may be other issues that are going on that you are dealing with by acting this way. If you can identify those issue and deal with them constructively, you might be able to change your habits easier.

About the band... don't. If you don't have the willpower to stop yourself from overeating when you know you are full, adding a gastric band is a recipe for disaster.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Firstly I'm a female 25 years old and have 1 toddler.
    I was going to call you mellow dramatic.

You are quite literally, a food machine. heh.
  • AllieUK
    AllieUK Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could try a diet like the 5:2 diet, where you fast for 2 days of the week and then eat as you would normally for the rest of the 5 days.

This might help you with motivation, because its easier to diet 2 days of the week, even if it is very strict, but could also help with portion control and your relationship with food.

I know when I did it my whole attitude with food changed, and now I think a lot more before I eat.

I think the problem is your are trying to do too much at once, and thinking too much and making losing weight and becoming healthy into a huge huge trial, which makes you a bit down and then you lose your motivation. Instead just focus on small challenges perhaps, such as drinking a certain amount of water a day, eating more fruit etc and then build upon these challenges and then finally you will notice you are getting healthier and healthier before you know it.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Forget about the supplements and fad diets - as you have found out, they really don't work and are a total waste of time and money. FYI, even if you have gastric bypass, you have to learn to eat a certain way so I'd suggest trying it on your own first.

I'm not sure why you were so unsatisfied with the weight loss you had before? You lost 7kg which is pretty darn good, even if it took several weeks, you were obviously making progress. We all want to lose the weight immediately, but that's just not how our bodies work so we have to come to terms with it and be patient. I'm not sure how much you want to lose but generally, 1/2 a kg per week is reasonable.

Who cares if you can only go 20 minutes? We all have to start somewhere. With some time and practice, you can start walking further/faster. As far as alternatives, there are plenty of fun things you can do at home. There are tons of videos on YouTube or FitnessBlender or you can just google for at home workouts and find lots of ideas or just crank up the tunes and dance around your place for 20-30 minutes.

The most important thing with weight loss is keeping your eating in check. Start logging consistently and as accurately as you can and set small achievable goals. You will get there in time! Good luck!
  • fishpastille
    Options
    Unfortunately you said it correctly when you said that only you can make the change. It sounds as though you may want to consider some counceling to talk about the insecurities you have with yourself. It also sounds like by doing what you are doing to your body you are harming yourself. You mentioned having a toddler?? Do you want to be around for that toddler while he/she grows up into a young adult and then an adult? If the answer is yes you need to seek the advice of your doctor to make sure that you havent already harmed yourself. And ask the doctor the best course of action for your specific situation. Good luck to you.

Thank you branflakes >> sounds like a healthy username LOL

You're right I think so much about my imperfections and to be honest I hate looking at my body in the mirror even though I try my best to show to others that I'm fine and happy with myself but inside me I don't like all these humps and bumps in my body.

I've seen a GP last year for the same thing and all what she did was telling me to set a plan and start doing sport which of course I know it in advance !
  • fishpastille
    Options
    This is what works for me:
    Don't set a too aggressive calorie goal. Be consistent, but not obsessive about it.
    Prelog when you can.
    Eat meals.
    Make most of your food yourself, from scratch.
    Eat food you like.
    Make sure to eat a varied diet with some food from all the food groups every day.
    Every meal and snack should contain protein, fat and carbs.
    Don't deprive yourself from goodies completely, but don't eat candy all the time.
    Learn what "hungry" and "full" and all the steps inbetween means and feels like.
    Get enough rest.
    Surround yourself with people who give you good vibes.
    Exercise, but don't overdo it.

Thanks for your reply , I've never thought about logging my intake this sounds like a good idea . Thanks for all the other tips too

• fishpastille
    Options
    Log your food. Set conservative calories goals. Control your portions to hit your calories goals. Think of sweat as fat crying as it leaves your body. Take it one day at a time.

I LOOOVE this : Think of sweat as fat crying as it leaves your body

Thank you I will keep it in my imagination :wink:

• LazyFoodie
    LazyFoodie Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between will power in eating things you should not be eating and actual hunger. You say things like water and apples make you more hungry but the rest of your post makes it seem like your battle isn't about physical hunger but more about your actions and lack of will power. You said that you eat even when you are feeling full.

If you are actually hungry, let yourself eat however much you need to at first but limit the food to healthy things like grilled chicken and vegetables. I find that when I eat too much carbs like bread, rice, and pasta for a prolonged period of time, I get into a state where I am just constantly hungry. Eating protein and vegetables help get off the crazy blood sugar spikes train.

However, it sounds like will power is what you are battling against. Throw out everything you know you should not eat. Don't even have it in the house. Can you get childcare from family so you can get out of the house for most of the day? Go study at the library where there are no food temptations. If nothing on your own works then think about seeing a therapist or a eating support group.

As far as exercise, if you don't get your eating under control, exercise will not do much to help you lose weight. However, the two may go hand in hand, at least for me it goes. I have never been successful at keeping a calorie deficit when I do not regularly exercise. For me, exercise is a great motivation to eat healthy and limit your calories because 1) I do not want a donut when I think about how long/difficult it is to burn off those 300 calories on a treadmill and 2) I feel myself get more fit and healthy when I exercise which is extra motivation to move more and continue eating well even when the pounds are not coming off as easily. When I am not sweating and putting in so much effort and pain into exercise, I tend to think I will eat better and less at the next meal. When I have already put in 45 minutes on the starmaster, I will not let that time go to waste.

And yes, sweat sucks. Exercise sucks, especially at first. Every time I go crazy and stop exercising for a few months, the first two weeks of doing cardio makes me want to throw up. Then it starts to feel better and better (although I would still much rather sit on the couch and watch TV if health and calories were all the same...). When you first start out, know that it will feel better if you just keep with it. But also, you have to challenge your body to change it. When it hurts and you are hating what you are doing, ask yourself whether the change you want is worth the pain. If not then don't do it and stay the same. If so, then grit your teeth and get through it.
  • jesiann2014
    jesiann2014 Posts: 521 Member
    Options

Thanks for your reply , I've never thought about logging my intake this sounds like a good idea . Thanks for all the other tips too

[/quote]

Hmmm... You've never thought about logging your intake, huh? What, pray tell, brought you to MFP??
  • fishpastille
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Are you a single parent or do you have a family and support system around you? Its all a bit chicken and egg with the depression at the forefront. Your relationship with food appears just as much to be destryctive ccomfort eating as anything else, so I think you need to stop digging and retrain your mind so you have a real grasp of whats going on and how you will get out of it. You need to convince yourself that your solution will work and commit to putting it into action.

You sound smart and know some of the things you have to do or at least should be doing. Whilst I accept that everyone finds their own diet and what works for them then you should also realise that by cutting out options this will limit the progress of your endeavour.

Have you been to see your GP about the depression? Im worried that you dont yet have the commitment or self belief to put a plan into action. If you get a support system and a good plan then you can put lots of small targets in place which will then reinforce you making progress. This will help with the depression as well as making progress is good as is exercise. Pehaps you need that support system to feel a bit accountable to or more likely you want encouragement and that someone out there cares whether you make progress. As you pointed out most of the motivation needs to come from you.

As for being the food machine you can curb it if you want to. one method by MFP is to log everything and understand what your maintenance weight is. By keeping a record of what you are consuming then it can come as a shock and you gain a better understanding of the amounts you need and how much overeating you are doing. It cna also help you understand how by eating more than you need which is your choice it pushes you away from your target. You know this, but at some stage you can change your behaviour so you start in the right direction again if that is what you want.

Until you are ready to commit and prepared to take the measures needed, then you are going to frustrate yourself. Hope you cna sit down and get some clarity. Its prefectly possible for you to get to goal its just moderation of eating habit over time with possible extra help from nutrition and exercise. One day one week one month.

Look at the inspiration section and the people who have lostway more than you need to because they applied this technique consistently and just did it despite setbacks. You can 100% do it, but you need to get it clear in your head what you are doing and have a decent plan. ggood luck.

Thank you Thank you so much for all what you wrote.

Unfortunately, we moved to the north of England where raining and upset weather is very usual. We lived before in a warm sunny country and I was always going out for long walks. Of course I have nobody here, no family or friends to spend time out with.

I'm married and our relation have its ups and downs same every couple but most of time we are happy together . My husband doesn't see me as FAT as I see myself he's the kind of men who takes everything easy way. I don't talk to him much about my insecurities but when I start dieting I don't feel like he's encouraging me.

Yes, logging in what I eat will definitely help, but what has really worked for me before is the intermittent fasting since I can't control my portions and just need to be extremely full. I tried IF for 3 weeks and lost 4 kilos which is good in my opinion since I only went for long walks like 3 times a week.

Thank you very much again for all the advice

• LazyFoodie
    LazyFoodie Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    As a person who also enjoys being full and satisfied, I usually eat just enough in the mornings to get through my workouts and then save all the rest of my calories for dinner so I can have a big meal. I used to eat a very light lunch also (like a 200 cal salad) but after working a high stress job for a few months where I frequently skipped lunch to work, I found that I didn't get hungry around lunch so just cut it out. One big meal works much better for me than trying to eat 5 small meals a day which just leaves me hungry and unsatisfied all day long. Having a lot of calories left for dinner also means I can eat the same meal as my husband which makes dinner prep a lot easier. I don't go crazy and eat beyond my calorie goals though at dinner. Some people have problems with this if they limit their calories too much during the day. You just have to find a method that your body likes. If IF worked for you before, do it again.
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Even after losing 60 lbs I still have major food binges. They usually happen when I am at home alone. Being at home is a weakness for me. I do better when I work long days at the office or on the go on weekends. Since you're confined to home, that sounds like a tough deal for you. My only advice would be to not keep tempting food around, find activities to keep your mind occupied and maybe lay out a schedule of meals.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Some of us use food to self-medicate depression or whatever...
    I had issues to address with a shrink before I could conquer my health and weight problems.
    Only you can answer this for yourself...
  • fishpastille
    Options
    GauchoMark wrote: »
    Some good advice above.

I don't mean this to sound rude, but have you thought about your mental health? You sound like you know what you need to do, you know you need to do it, but you are knowingly taking the destructive path. You are consciously overeating and choosing not to exercise. There may be other issues that are going on that you are dealing with by acting this way. If you can identify those issue and deal with them constructively, you might be able to change your habits easier.

About the band... don't. If you don't have the willpower to stop yourself from overeating when you know you are full, adding a gastric band is a recipe for disaster.

Thanks for your advice. No worries, Yes I can understand that dieting requires a balanced psychic state but I think my main issues are boredom and the frequent feeling of being fat and unattractive. I think I should fill my time when my LO is in the nursery and try doing things out of the house.
  • fishpastille
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Firstly I'm a female 25 years old and have 1 toddler.
    I was going to call you mellow dramatic.

You are quite literally, a food machine. heh.

LOL yes unfortunately I'm.

• fishpastille
    Options
    AllieUK wrote: »
    Maybe you could try a diet like the 5:2 diet, where you fast for 2 days of the week and then eat as you would normally for the rest of the 5 days.

This might help you with motivation, because its easier to diet 2 days of the week, even if it is very strict, but could also help with portion control and your relationship with food.

I know when I did it my whole attitude with food changed, and now I think a lot more before I eat.

I think the problem is your are trying to do too much at once, and thinking too much and making losing weight and becoming healthy into a huge huge trial, which makes you a bit down and then you lose your motivation. Instead just focus on small challenges perhaps, such as drinking a certain amount of water a day, eating more fruit etc and then build upon these challenges and then finally you will notice you are getting healthier and healthier before you know it.

Thank you for your advice, Yes I must confess that I won't lose a single gram if I'm doing like 1600 calories a day, this has never worked for me before. If I wanna lose weight I think I shouldn't exceed 800 calories , yes this may sound unhealthy but that's the only way I can see improvements on my scale and of course you can imagine the hunger that I'm feeling all the day especially when I was breastfeeding , Oh dear I don't wanna remember those days :neutral_face: