Don't Know How to Begin?

Options
DX810
DX810 Posts: 26 Member
Hi.

I'm female and 33. My biggest issue is that I can't seem to find a good program to stick with. I've always been fit and I'm at the perfect weight and BMI. I'm also quite athletic but I lack strength. I can do cardio for long hours but strength training and toning is my weakness. I can't get past 15 push ups or past 2 kilos dumbbells.

I download a lot of fitness apps but everything is scattered. Each app is tailored for a specific area. When I go to the gym I do break a sweat but I randomly do stuff. I don't feel like I'm working towards an objective.

What I'm really looking for in an all-inclusive program. A site. An app. A downloadable thing that I can work with that walks me through the steps of setting my goals, designing a program for me and then giving me tips on how to consistently evaluate myself. Things like how to calculate my calories intake, what workouts to do on specific days and such.

When I search online, 90% of the programs I find are mainly targeted for losing weight, which is why I thought about posting it lest someone give me some advice?

Thanks.

Replies

• cookmtn
    cookmtn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    You might try fitocracy.com but it may not be exactly what you're looking for.
  • covens04
    covens04 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    You could try an at home program. I have done P90X and X3, and those are fairly all-inclusive. I have heard good things about Body Beast, which I own, but I haven't done yet. Just a suggestion. That all depends on whether you like working out from home and have the tools/equipment necessary.

Any thoughts on a personal trainer for a few weeks/months?
  • DX810
    Options
    Thank you guys. Will try the sites mentioned.

Covens, I'm already paying a good chum for an annual gym subscription. Unfortunately, they often charge you only for using the equipment, facilities & classes only. Personal trainers are not included. The package prices for individual trainers are outrageously expensive and I wouldn't mind paying if I knew I would be consistent with it and that was precisely what I want. I feel I'm more driven by studio environment (with others) and free from commitment. I can workout at my own pace that way.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Workout programs sell themselves as weight loss tools because it's an easy way to get new customers, but weight loss hinges more on diet. Strength training usually doesn't burn a ton of calories though, and no matter what workout you do, you just need to make sure you eat enough calories so that you don't lose weight you don't want to lose. So I guess you should pick a strength-training focused program, and keep an eye on your weight, if you start losing lbs, eat more.

Sorry I don't have specific workout suggestions, I'm not really sure what would work for you. Good luck!
  • covens04
    covens04 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hmm that's tough, especially if the classes cost money. You are definitely limited. You may either have to break down and pay or find an at-home video you like that incorporates what you like to do. Sorry I'm not much help.
  • rgunn02
    rgunn02 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you like home work out videos or not - but I love The Firm videos! I think the website is firmdirect.com
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I thing Stronglifts 5x5 has an app (?). If not, it's a free website with a pretty easy to follow programme and progression.

I usually suggest starting strength or strong curves too but those are books.

As to diet, just use here to set for either loss maintain or gain.

ETA: instead of trying to push past 15 push-ups, why not just make the push-up harder by either adding extra weight or raising your feet?
  • allie_00p
    allie_00p Posts: 280 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I'm doing the New Rules of Lifting for Women and like it a lot. http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Rules-Lifting-Women/dp/1583333398

Also planning to start Stronglifts 5x5 http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

Those are the main two that come to mind, their overall goal is not to lose weight, so if you're eating at maintenance or above, you should build some nice muscle.
  • DX810
    Options
    Wow. Lots of great suggestions.
    I'll look them up.

Thanks guys!
  • samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options
    elsie_fair wrote: »
    I'm doing the New Rules of Lifting for Women and like it a lot. http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Rules-Lifting-Women/dp/1583333398

Also planning to start Stronglifts 5x5 http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

Those are the main two that come to mind, their overall goal is not to lose weight, so if you're eating at maintenance or above, you should build some nice muscle.

+1 for Stronglifts or New Rules. Both great programs. Personally I follow stronglifts. But I am not a woman... but I hear good things about it. Both the book and women. :)
  • aerandall
    aerandall Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You might check out bodybuilding.com too. They have loads of great resources.

Best of luck to you!