Is it better to lose weight or cm ( inches )

Options
2»

Replies

• PAtinCO
    PAtinCO Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    marie3221 wrote: »
    tracym17 wrote: »
    Losing inches/centimeters is definitely more important! It might seem frustrating because the number on the scale isn't changing, but that's probably because you're converting fat into muscle. So there's less of you overall, but you weigh the same because muscle weighs more than fat.

Don't worry about it, though! Power through the number plateau-- those new muscles are gonna help burn fat even more than before. :D

I'm sure the scale will start to change soon, but in the meanwhile you can enjoy the feeling of your clothes getting baggy on you!

I'm sorry, I dont mean to be rude but this is nonsense.

Fat is fat, muscle is muscle - they are two distinctly different tissue types and you cannot convert one into the other. You can burn fat and build muscle but you can never turn a fat cell into a muscle cell. Also one pound of fat weighs the same one pound of muscle.

As you are exercising, you will increase your muscle mass which may cause you to weigh more overall but if you are also doing cardio you will burn fat by shrinking the size of your fat cells. If you eat less calories than you need, you will lose weight. What is important though is that you feel fitter and healthier.

True, but one pound of fat takes up more space than one pound of muscle. I think maybe you are getting confused about what op is saying (or asking) So the scale may not be moving as much as inches off her body.

When people say that muscle weighs more than fat, I've always assumed they meant weight per unit of volume. I guess some people don't get that implication and take it on face value.

Same with converting fat to muscle.. of course that's not what you're actually doing. It's just a figure of speech.

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Inches......the number on the scale doesn't really indicate body fat %.

Take 2 women (same height, same weight).....the one with a higher body fat % still looks a bit chubby, but the one with lower body fat looks great.
  • carolineat111
    carolineat111 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'd always ALWAYS rather lose inches than weight. I'm the only one who knows what the scale says, but everyone SEES the inches lost.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Honestly isn't the only reason we want to lose weight to get smaller? If you told me I could lose 50 lbs and still have the same size waist, I'd say SCREW THAT.