Yoga transformed me Physically and mentally

Options
In my younger days me used make fun of yoga programs on television. But Now at my near 30s its a part of my physical life Your body grows stronger, more toned, and more flexible as you move from one pose to the other.In my case rather than building muscles it really toned my muscles.After hours at my computer, I stretch my stiff shoulders and arms. When I need a boost of energy, I do energizing poses. When I am feeling exhausted at the end of the day I do restorative poses.
It doesnt make your physical life fit it has a lot of influence in mental health which encourages positive thoughts, self-acceptance ,patience, forgiveness, and the value of gentleness So if anyone who is really interested comment and share your Experiences too..

Replies

• momsfood
    momsfood Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    In my younger days me used make fun of yoga programs on television. But Now at my near 30s its a part of my physical life Your body grows stronger, more toned, and more flexible as you move from one pose to the other.In my case rather than building muscles it really toned my muscles.After hours at my computer, I stretch my stiff shoulders and arms. When I need a boost of energy, I do energizing poses. When I am feeling exhausted at the end of the day I do restorative poses.
    It doesnt make your physical life fit it has a lot of influence in mental health which encourages positive thoughts, self-acceptance ,patience, forgiveness, and the value of gentleness So if anyone who is really interested comment and share your Experiences too..
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Love yoga. Love what it does. I prefer pilates, but I definitely love yoga. Good for you. Keep it up.
  • pagraham1971
    pagraham1971 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Yoga kiked start my weightloss over the last year!!I love it
  • DaFibble
    DaFibble Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Yoga might not make you physically fitter or stronger in the ways we tend to care about but it has its own benefits beyond making you feel good. For one thing it greatly increases physical and mental resilience. Its hard to appreciate how much a difference that makes unless you are working alongside other people who do physically or mentally demanding jobs.
  • goanothermile
    goanothermile Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Like a lot of us (especially other men), I am not very flexible.

To be honest, I was really intimidated by yoga. I had this mental image that the classes would be full of hyper-fit contortionists that knew a secret language who would laugh at my fat butt trying to follow along.

I haven't only been taking yoga for about 4 months, but I have been very pleased with the results so far. Yeah... there has been some learning involved, but the results have been worth it. I have seen some improvement in core strength and flexibility.

I have attended classes that were too basic and too advanced. Everyone has been encouraging. I'm still a LONG way from being good at it, but I'm progressing.

I like the reflective part also. It is a very calming and positive influence.

If you haven't tried it-- take a chance. There are a lot of different teachers and styles out there. Commit to trying a few different ones before making a decision.
  • DaFibble
    DaFibble Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I was really intimidated by yoga. I had this mental image that the classes would be full of hyper-fit contortionists that knew a secret language who would laugh at my fat butt trying to follow along.

I've still never been to an actual yoga class because of this. As a guy I feel like yoga classes are off-limits to me. Taiji and Qigong is different. With Yoga I've always used books and practiced alone, when I'm going through a phase of trying it.

The big "hook" for yoga I've found is the way I feel inside and appear to others. Its like a little bit of yoga stretching each day leads to a lot more energy and enthusiasm for everything. In addition people comment that I look different, better, somehow. When I was doing a lot of Taiji and Qigong (related but different) I got A LOT of attention. Women would say the way I moved and spoke drove them crazy. Nice feedback!!!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Actually, the yoga classes at my gym are the classes with the most guys in them. Men are definitely welcome :)