Help with College eating

Options
This is my first year at a university and I have for sure gained the freshman 15 and more. I try to eat healthy at the cafeteria but its hard when there are so many fried foods within reach also I struggle with knowing what is some healthy choices any advice would be appreciated!!!!

Replies

• nephalime
    nephalime Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Choose colorful food. if your plate is filled with beige or brown food, you're probably not eating right. Go for the salad bar, grilled chicken, oatmeal, fresh fruits, yogourt, i'm sure there is at least some healthy possibilities.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Don't eat in the cafeteria.. Unless you have a meal plan and it's necessary. You'll have to do some research on the food that they serve to figure out what your best options are. Don't be afraid to ask the person in charge of it for any nutrition facts available.

Grilled or baked is better than fried, green vegetables are generally healthier than the rest, watch out for calories and carbs in salad dressings, choose water over sweet drinks, and watch portion sizes.
  • EngineerPrincess
    EngineerPrincess Posts: 306 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    There's nothing inherently wrong about eating in a dining hall, but it's all about the choices you make. When in doubt assume they use full-calorie foods, ie, heavy cream based soups instead of milk, double the butter in everything (butter makes food stay the right texture longer), etc, so just assume there's a ton of calories in foods that appear greasy. If you try to make half of your intake fruits and veggies then it's easier to fill up and avoid eating junk. :) Grilled options, things like baked chicken and grilled/baked fish are better than fried. Beware creamy sauces, desserts, midnight snacking, ALCOHOL (this is the #1 reason college students gain weight), and things that are overly carb loaded. Ask your school if they have a nutrition facts page or something, some do now, mine did but it was super inaccurate. The number ONE thing to avoid gaining weight is limiting your calories! So count. You would easily gain weight on 3000 calories of fruits and lean meat a day, or lose weight eating nothing but 1400 calories of chips and hot dogs.
    Just finished 4 years of college and lost 20 pounds then gained the same 20 back lol.
  • surflivelove
    surflivelove Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Eat small portions and remember snacking adds up, that includes any juices or sodas or alcohol.