A yummy treat I just discovered!

Options
First I must admit I love spicy food :)

I'm talking ginger, cinnamon, cloves, etc. spices. OK, so I went to my day old bakery outlet store and in addition to bread, bought a bag of ginger snaps because they were only 24 calories each! A "serving" is 5 cookies = 120 calories. Broke 5 in half to make 10 cookies. Poured a 1/2 cup of skim milk and enjoyed dunking and eating in a leisurely way for only 165 calories. This will work well with coffee also as the cookies are very crisp and hold up well when dunked. The bag of cookies was $1.49, easier than baking some. Sweet but not too sweet.

I have to be very careful indulging my sweet tooth. Too much rich lovely sweetness is like a drug to me, sets up a craving for more and more. I know there are many members who avoid all sugar, HFCS, gluten, eggs, or carbs to name a few. Personally, I am an older member of MFP. I grew up cooking from scratch with my mother and then for own my family. Most of my life I have eaten a wide variety of all foods, been quite healthy and unaware of all these food issues. It's just not that important to me. But I completely respect others efforts to care for their nutritional needs with regard to this new research. So please don't badger me. It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks! :)

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    No badgering here. I :heart: ginger snaps! Make mine with whole milk pls!
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    mmmm, gingersnaps. Love em!
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I suspect you'd get more badgering if you said we shouldn't eat ginger snaps. Ginger Snaps have always been a favorite of mine. It's a cookie that I can be satisfied just eating one or two.
  • miadelb
    miadelb Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Gingersnaps are the bomb...
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I'm down with them too...But 5? I applaud you. I can't mess around with that. I need like TWENTY 5.
  • morning_joy
    morning_joy Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Just an idea for you...when you have no ginger snaps around...Sweet potatoes can be roasted with all the spiced you listed above. They have their own great texture and with those yummy spices they are great. I also roast them with green apples and the above spices because the juice from the green apple adds a great flavor. I roast them until the are all tender and then mash them together. Yummy!!
  • yturie47
    yturie47 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    You can be satisfied with 5, pretending they are 10 and eating very "mindfully." Not saying it's easy though.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I buy ginger thins at Safeway. I can eat quite a few of those and stay in my calorie goal.
  • JustFindingMe
    JustFindingMe Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the idea :smile:

I'm a dunker too!
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Nice score. I love gingersnaps, but never think to buy them. On my grocery list now
  • yturie47
    Options
    jul_ohare wrote: »
    Just an idea for you...when you have no ginger snaps around...Sweet potatoes can be roasted with all the spiced you listed above. They have their own great texture and with those yummy spices they are great. I also roast them with green apples and the above spices because the juice from the green apple adds a great flavor. I roast them until the are all tender and then mash them together. Yummy!!

Oh my, I happen to have 2 "little" sweet potatoes in my refrigerator at the moment and this recipe will be on the menu tonight at my house!
  • yturie47
    Options
    Thanks for the idea :smile:

I'm a dunker too!

Dunkers of the world unite. My Dad taught me to drink coffee with milk and dunk donuts many years ago when he got up extra early to get to work at the factory. I had to get up extra early because there were so many baby boomers in junior high school we had to be school bused in shifts and I was on the early shift. Mom and the little kids got to sleep later. :)