Filling 200 calories dinner?

Options

Replies

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Egg white and steamed broccoli omelette.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    jkwolly wrote: »
    Welp since you're not listening about going over and under tomorrow instead, I'd consider either a can of tuna, a hunk of cooked chicken/turkey, or a protein smoothie.

I'm listening, I just don't want to do it, because for me it's not as easy as saying 'I'll eat less tomorrow'. My goal is to keep a 200 calorie deficit and I'm already failing at it most days because some days I just get bad cravings or I just get really hungry... it's just not realistic for me to start thinking 'I'll make up for it tomorrow' in these conditions.

Can of light tuna and green beans it is!

For TDEE, isn't your deficit already built in? You don't need an additional deficit on top of your deficit.

no. total daily energy expenditure. it's what you need to eat right now for your body- doing whatever it is you do in your daily life.

In order lose weight- you have to subtract a percentage of that- most people chose 15-20%.

I know what both of mine are and I aim between them- so I'm not so worried if I go over.

I'm more concerned about why OP is struggling to maintain only a 200 calorie deficit. That's one snack for each day. Says to me either her deficit/calories are incorrect- OR she's making poor discussion regularly about how to pick satiating foods.

Everyone does it- it's fine- that's not a judgement- just a reality. If every day I'm swapping my chicken and veggies for a candy bar- I'm surely going to lose weight- but I'm not going to feel very good about it b/c I'm going to be hungry regularly.

if only 200 calorie deficit is a struggle- then something isn't adding up.

As for my contribution to the dinner- I would suggest edemame- filling- not to expensive and delicious.

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Welp since you're not listening about going over and under tomorrow instead, I'd consider either a can of tuna, a hunk of cooked chicken/turkey, or a protein smoothie.

I'm listening, I just don't want to do it, because for me it's not as easy as saying 'I'll eat less tomorrow'. My goal is to keep a 200 calorie deficit and I'm already failing at it most days because some days I just get bad cravings or I just get really hungry... it's just not realistic for me to start thinking 'I'll make up for it tomorrow' in these conditions.

I totally get this. Such a slippery slope. Pretty soon you're so over in calories you're still making them up 2 months later. At least that's how I view it.

I agree with this. Only after the new habit is established can you tinker with the over under days.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

For TDEE, isn't your deficit already built in? You don't need an additional deficit on top of your deficit.

no. total daily energy expenditure. it's what you need to eat right now for your body- doing whatever it is you do in your daily life.

In order lose weight- you have to subtract a percentage of that- most people chose 15-20%.

I know what both of mine are and I aim between them- so I'm not so worried if I go over.

I'm more concerned about why OP is struggling to maintain only a 200 calorie deficit. That's one snack for each day. Says to me either her deficit/calories are incorrect- OR she's making poor discussion regularly about how to pick satiating foods.

Everyone does it- it's fine- that's not a judgement- just a reality. If every day I'm swapping my chicken and veggies for a candy bar- I'm surely going to lose weight- but I'm not going to feel very good about it b/c I'm going to be hungry regularly.

As for my contribution to the dinner- I would suggest edemame- filling- not to expensive and delicious.

That's what I meant; should have been more clear! The part about the percentages. But thanks for clearing that up. TDEE has always confused me!

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Two egg vegetable omelet with just eggs, maybe some spinach, and some other vegetable you have around and want to add--broccoli, zucchini, etc. Pretty close to 200 calories.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    Get a pair of baggy shorts with deep pockets. Take 3 cooked chicken legs (with skin) and place them in your front left pocket. Go outside and walk a mile while eating a leg. Once the first mile is complete, take the leftover leg and move it to your right pocket. Repeat 2 more times. 45 minutes later you've walked 3 miles and eaten those legs!! Woo Hoo!! Try the veal I'm here all week.

Hmm, yes, I could try the veal, but I'm afraid you've been walking around with it in your pocket all week!!!! :disagree: :lol:

19507081.png
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

It used to be easy, but the last few months have been tough. Willpower issues aside (that used to be much easier too), I have a lot of days when I'm just totally starving, even when I make good choices. Heck it's very rare that I don't get 5+ servings of fruit and veggies and I pretty much always eat 110g of protein. I've upped the intensity of my workout by quite a bit in the last month so that's probably why (but I haven't lost much more weight so I don't think it's a case of eating too little).

The good news is that my binge didn't leave me very hungry so 2 servings of green beans and the light tuna was more than enough, and it only came up to 155 calories.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Aemely wrote: »
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    Get a pair of baggy shorts with deep pockets. Take 3 cooked chicken legs (with skin) and place them in your front left pocket. Go outside and walk a mile while eating a leg. Once the first mile is complete, take the leftover leg and move it to your right pocket. Repeat 2 more times. 45 minutes later you've walked 3 miles and eaten those legs!! Woo Hoo!! Try the veal I'm here all week.

Hmm, yes, I could try the veal, but I'm afraid you've been walking around with it in your pocket all week!!!! :disagree: :lol:

19507081.png

Ironically veal is one of the few meats I don't eat. The again, wait, I'm getting hungry. Nevermind. With only 2300 calories I have to keep munching on dem chicken legs ;)

• 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Boccellin wrote: »
    Gigantic veggie omelet! I'd use 4 eggwhites-68 calories, 4 cups of raw spinach-28 calories, half a red bell pepper-16 calories and 150 grams of mushrooms-33 calories. Grand total-145 calories, which leaves you enough for either half an ounce of lowfat cheese, or a little bit of fruit. I like hotsauce on mine for a bit of kick. And it's a LOT of food.

Yum! Thanks for sharing this.
  • Tea_Mistress
    Tea_Mistress Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I cba to read what everyone else wrote so I'm just going to reply to the question xD
    Most soup is under 200 cals, so I'd have a nice bowl of soup with some cherry tomatoes thrown in, bit of cayenne chilli pepper to spice things up (spicy things keep me full) and drink some hot tea :)
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Some steamed broccoli with tuna and cottage cheese
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I cba to read what everyone else wrote so I'm just going to reply to the question xD
    Most soup is under 200 cals, so I'd have a nice bowl of soup with some cherry tomatoes thrown in, bit of cayenne chilli pepper to spice things up (spicy things keep me full) and drink some hot tea :)

Brunswick Stew 325 calories. I'll add more. . .just because I enjoy soups.

Chicken and dumplings 227 calories
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

It used to be easy, but the last few months have been tough. Willpower issues aside (that used to be much easier too), I have a lot of days when I'm just totally starving, even when I make good choices. Heck it's very rare that I don't get 5+ servings of fruit and veggies and I pretty much always eat 110g of protein. I've upped the intensity of my workout by quite a bit in the last month so that's probably why (but I haven't lost much more weight so I don't think it's a case of eating too little).

The good news is that my binge didn't leave me very hungry so 2 servings of green beans and the light tuna was more than enough, and it only came up to 155 calories.

gurl. the struggle is real. I dropped down to this weight last year- minus 5 more pounds without even really trying- I bulked all winter- and now I'm hovering at 160.. and I can't get back down. decision making is harder this year for me as well- partly due to the set up at work- and my kitchen at my new place- it's smaller- so little things- they change and have a big impact.

BUT. this is the way of it- nothing is ever ALL PROGRESS ALL THE TIME. Nothing about this is EVER linear- even your will power.
    Success comes from riding this out- through the easy and difficult times- and there will be stretches where EVERYTHING feels difficult- and there will be stretches when you ALWAYS feel hungry.

it is what it is- keep at it. keep tweaking ONE thing at a time and waiting- it's a hard thing to do- but I have faith in you!!! Just realize you aren't the only one- this is quiet normal. And it's totally okay.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Ok I'm having a bad day. Total binge. I have 200 calories left for dinner (I could go over, but then I'd go over my TDEE as my goal is my TDEE).

What's the most filling dinner you can find for 200 calories? Thinking bag of frozen veggies and some ham steak or something.

I'd hit a tablespoon of peanut butter. Or, half a tablespoon and a glass of bourbon.
  • raysputin
    raysputin Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Grilled mushrooms are good.
  • nmandine1
    Options
    1/2 grilled skinless, boneless chicken breast (140 calories) seasoned with whatever spices you want (I use a little cumin, chipotle pepper and salt) , with 1 cup of roasted acorn squash (50 calories) seasoned with just a dash of olive oil, salt and pepper. It's yummers! :smiley: Good luck.
  • RedArizona5
    RedArizona5 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Someone mentioned veal-yuck…and poor cows. No I am not vegan, quite the opposite but to constrain an animal for the tenderness of its meat is horrifying to say the least. Sorry I had to get it off my chest….:)
  • alyssaby
    alyssaby Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The most filling low calorie meal I can think of would be Egg whites with Veggies. Four egg whites, a cup of spinach, a handful of broccoli, some mushrooms, and if you're feeling it maybe add an ounce of strong cheese like gouda. Very low-calorie, very delicious and filling.
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Frozen vegetables, egg whites omelette. I don't know if it's filling for you (because it is for me, I have it for dinner almost everything) 4 tbsp of rolled oats and soy milk. It's around 200-ish calories depens if you use flavoured milk (I love chocolate-y) I put it in my microwave, stir from time to time, until it's really thick. YUM.
  • Sophiareed218
    Sophiareed218 Posts: 145 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    A whole can of progreso light soup is usually 140-200 calories, depending on the variety. That's 2 cups for that amount, not bad. I keep a couple cans in the pantry for those days I need a light lunch or dinner, or even snack!