Weighing addiction

Options
I have a problem of weighing myself not just once a day, or just twice try Everytime I use the bathroom. It's bad. I then get discouraged and it makes me feel totally down about myself. Saturday will be a week off keeping track. It's getting bad.

Replies

• veeve1
    veeve1 Posts: 13
    Options
    :( Thats rough. Im starting to get obsessive about it too. Wondering if putting it out of bounds aside from Fri mornings will help me. Its .. just ... so ... tempting ... to see if just one more tiny bit is gone since earlier! Must see the lowest number possible during each day sort of thing!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Have someone hide the scale.
    Weight – So many things can affect weight, because of this it shouldn’t be the only way you track your progress. Things to keep in mind:
    • Always use the same scale – Different scales can show different weights. You will get the most accurate number for tracking when using the same scale.
    • Don’t move the scale – Carpet, uneven flooring, different types of flooring…can all affect the weight on the scale. So when you weigh, you want it to be approximately the same spot for the most accurate number for tracking.
    • 3500 calories – To gain 1lb of fat you need to be over maintenance by 3500 calories.
    • Muscle Repair – Muscles will hold onto water to repair, because of this it is not uncommon to see a gain for a little while after a workout. This weight comes right back off when they are done repairing.
    • Sodium – Can cause you to retain water. This can also be amplified if you don’t drink enough to flush it out of your system. This is also another reason for temporary weight gain.
    • Water – Not drinking enough water can actually cause you to retain water. Recommended amount is 8 cups or 64oz. I drink 64 oz to 128 oz of water a day. It doesn’t have to be plain water either. I like to flavor mine with crystal light or tea.
    • Time of day – Your weight can fluctuate throughout the day. So for the most accurate tracking, you want to weigh at around the same time.
    • Frequency – This is up to you, but if small fluctuations bother you than only weigh once a week or less.
    • Lightest Weight – Will be naked, first thing in the morning, after using the bathroom
    • Multiple times a DayDon’t Do It. As I said before, your weight will fluctuate throughout the day. What you eat, what you’re wearing, ect will all affect weight.
    • Clothes – If you weigh with clothing on, keep in mind that the scale will show your weight plus the weight of your clothes. (Jeans are heavy)
    • TOM - A lot of women will retain water around their TOM, but its just temporary and will go away.
  • nmandine1
    Options
    Hahaha feeling your pain!! One of my girlfriends says I have weighing OCD. I told her I was going to go to WA... Weighers anonymous! I haven't weighed myself in a week now and should be on that scale in the morning. Now, I'm too scared to get on it in case I didn't lose anything and all that hard work will be for naught!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I weighed a million times a day for a long time after I started weighing. Before poop, after poop, before and after meals...all the time. Seeing the differences - I wanted to know. :)

It wore off after I had a good idea what made it go up and down like that.

You weigh what you weigh. Don't let looking at the number make you feel bad. Just concentrate on watching it go down. :)
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Throw the scales in the bin?.....
  • Local_Atlantis
    Local_Atlantis Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Do you go to a meeting? Like Weight Watchers or anything? Because part of that service is the weigh in. If you do that, and get rid of your scales at home, then you will be healthily weighing yourself once a week.

It is better to weigh yourself less frequently - because you see more of a difference. I have lost 4lb in 2 weeks (2lb each week). Seeing that gave me such a bigger boost than seeing a loss of 0.3lb a day!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    nmandine1 wrote: »
    Now, I'm too scared to get on it in case I didn't lose anything and all that hard work will be for naught!

this is the mindset that needs changing... eating well and exercising is for more than just losing weight... if you just pin it all on the number on the scales going down you'll soon give up as weight loss isn't linear.

• Sophiareed218
    Sophiareed218 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm like that too, trying to stop. Put the scale somewhere where it's not so tempting. I put mine in the basement.
  • eldamiano
    Options
    lisajo89 wrote: »
    Do you go to a meeting? Like Weight Watchers or anything? Because part of that service is the weigh in. If you do that, and get rid of your scales at home, then you will be healthily weighing yourself once a week.

It is better to weigh yourself less frequently - because you see more of a difference. I have lost 4lb in 2 weeks (2lb each week). Seeing that gave me such a bigger boost than seeing a loss of 0.3lb a day!

Weight Watchers is a rip off. As this poster states, part of their service is something which you can do at home. Not that they would ever let you know that....
  • jouttie
    jouttie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm like that too, trying to stop. Put the scale somewhere where it's not so tempting. I put mine in the basement.

In the basement? LMAO. That is funny.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean with the scales, Last week I was down 1lb, now I am up.

I totally give up with them, they mess with your head so much & just make you miserable.

Im just trying to eat healthy & workout - Maybe hide them away or throw them away.

Take photo's, measurements, go by how you feel, your clothes etc!!
  • Local_Atlantis
    Local_Atlantis Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »

Weight Watchers is a rip off. As this poster states, part of their service is something which you can do at home. Not that they would ever let you know that....

Poster? Your messages can be quite presumptuous and somewhat aggressive sometimes, do you realise that?

I was not advertising it. I actually agree with you, I think it is a rip off too.. I was simply saying that if the OP of this thread didn't think it was a rip off, and had signed up to a service like that, then she could limit herself to weighing herself once a week at those meetings.

For someone with a weighing addiction it would be hard to own their own set of scales. One could simply arrange to use a friends scales once a week, instead of paying for WW or any of the other weight loss groups. That is another suggestion for you, mags080611!

Good luck. Don't give up.

• eldamiano
    Options
    lisajo89 wrote: »
    eldamiano wrote: »

Poster? Your messages can be quite presumptuous and somewhat aggressive sometimes, do you realise that?

I was not advertising it. I actually agree with you, I think it is a rip off too.. I was simply saying that if the OP of this thread didn't think it was a rip off, and had signed up to a service like that, then she could limit herself to weighing herself once a week at those meetings.

For someone with a weighing addiction it would be hard to own their own set of scales. One could simply arrange to use a friends scales once a week, instead of paying for WW or any of the other weight loss groups. That is another suggestion for you, mags080611!

Good luck. Don't give up.

You call it aggressive. I call it just being blunt. I am not sure how one can portray aggression with text without being threatening or abusive. By being blunt, I was merely showing my dislike for Weight Watchers.

But you agree with me? Ok so we are all friends then....
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    What Kalikel said

I dont think there is anything wrong with weighing yourself as long as you know the warnings about doing so. Mainly that the body fluctuates, which means dont take it too seriously.

If you take the readings knowing about this and chart them, then its a useful way to see how your body fluctuates. Its good to know and reassuring time that your trend is downwards, especially in the beginning and also good to know if you are on a plateau. If you are following the basic guidelines by MFP then the trend should be downwards.

You will probably get bored of it eventually, weigh yourself less and look at other aspects such as the tape measure and how you look in the mirror.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    mags080611 wrote: »
    I have a problem of weighing myself not just once a day, or just twice try Everytime I use the bathroom. It's bad. I then get discouraged and it makes me feel totally down about myself. Saturday will be a week off keeping track. It's getting bad.
    I totally feel you!
    I had to change the way I did this, and over time because aware of other standards like body measurements that track progress as well.
    Now, my weigh in is every morning right before I eat or drink, and I record this and track the daily and weekly trends without getting compulsive over it. And ladies need to be especially aware of cycle fluctuation.
    I wish you well; glad you're hear, and thanks for sharing!
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Have someone hide the scale.
    Weight – So many things can affect weight, because of this it shouldn’t be the only way you track your progress. Things to keep in mind:
    • Always use the same scale – Different scales can show different weights. You will get the most accurate number for tracking when using the same scale.
    • Don’t move the scale – Carpet, uneven flooring, different types of flooring…can all affect the weight on the scale. So when you weigh, you want it to be approximately the same spot for the most accurate number for tracking.
    • 3500 calories – To gain 1lb of fat you need to be over maintenance by 3500 calories.
    • Muscle Repair – Muscles will hold onto water to repair, because of this it is not uncommon to see a gain for a little while after a workout. This weight comes right back off when they are done repairing.
    • Sodium – Can cause you to retain water. This can also be amplified if you don’t drink enough to flush it out of your system. This is also another reason for temporary weight gain.
    • Water – Not drinking enough water can actually cause you to retain water. Recommended amount is 8 cups or 64oz. I drink 64 oz to 128 oz of water a day. It doesn’t have to be plain water either. I like to flavor mine with crystal light or tea.
    • Time of day – Your weight can fluctuate throughout the day. So for the most accurate tracking, you want to weigh at around the same time.
    • Frequency – This is up to you, but if small fluctuations bother you than only weigh once a week or less.
    • Lightest Weight – Will be naked, first thing in the morning, after using the bathroom
    • Multiple times a DayDon’t Do It. As I said before, your weight will fluctuate throughout the day. What you eat, what you’re wearing, ect will all affect weight.
    • Clothes – If you weigh with clothing on, keep in mind that the scale will show your weight plus the weight of your clothes. (Jeans are heavy)
    • TOM - A lot of women will retain water around their TOM, but its just temporary and will go away.
    ^^^THIS - thanks a bunch :)