Working out while ill

Options
Should i work out in the gym while im ill? Cold and throat infecting, or should i just go for a light walk or go to the gym and just do weights??

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    No. Let your body heal. Besides going to the gym could infect others.
  • desidieter
    Options
    I agree that it's better to stay home and rest up, or if you really want to get in a work out, do something at home until you've recovered and can hit the gym again. No sense in going and possibly passing along your illness to others.
  • BenjaminS_Fitness
    BenjaminS_Fitness Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I had a cold a week ago and i went to the gym.
    my strength was so bad. my warmup on deads was my max.

So i decided to do cardio. afterwards i was really tired but i felt that the sweating helped me getting better, even tho a trainer said it was plain stupid what i did. but i felt so much better after the cardio and on the next day.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    No. You should get better first and be patient. You wont be able to do your routines as well. You could injure yourself. You will infect others.

Why not use the time to read up more about your routines?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Some people say that it is o.k. to exercise with only a cold.
    But the gym is already full of germs, so do a light workout at home.
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    If it's something contagious then don't go to the gym. If it's not then you can go, but just remember that you're probably not going to be going at full speed because you're so worn down from the illness.
  • Adw7677
    Adw7677 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    PLEEEEEEASEE do NOT go to the gym when you're sick!!!! I'm the one that will catch whatever is brought in there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And from a non-selfish standpoint, you need to rest. I've tested this theory many times, telling myself that a little walk will make it better or whatever. No no no no no. It *always* makes things worse. Seriously. Just go sleep.

I see that a previous poster mentioned cardio, sweating made them feel better, etc... I've known a few people that were taught to bundle up so they "sweat it out". You could try that. But please, don't share what you've got. Keep it to yourself. Please. Pretty please.

(I thought I was done, but no.) I make chicken soup for my kids when they're sick. I do it just cause it's nice, but they swear it makes them feel better. My recipe is simple: Dissolve a chicken boullion cube in a pot of water, add whatever veggies, and done. You could also throw in a handful of rice or pasta.

Get well soon! Stay home! <3
  • powerpigeon
    Options
    Nope. Get some rest. If you really must do something, bundle up and go for a walk. Fresh air is always nice, you're moving, but it's gentle.