Burn 3500 calories a day to lose 1lb..........Fact or fiction???

Options

Replies

• jodiecooks281
    jodiecooks281 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    HAHAHA yes something like that! Thanks that is really helpful!
  • heavenlyb14
    heavenlyb14 Posts: 303 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Zoe Hardcombe is, in fact, a blithering idiot.

Thank you for that, it made me smile.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,034 Member
    Options
    No i'm not misunderstanding it the whole point of this feed to begin with was "Burn 3500 calories a day to lose 1lb..........Fact or fiction???"

I am interested in people's views on if they think its fact or fiction to burn 3500kcal in a DAY.........

Ok - well then yes, I do think it is fiction. I don't think anybody IRL consistently loses 1 lb per day or consistently has 3500 deficit.

Maybe theoretically possible - but really doing it? I don't think so.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I did the Harcombe diet

twice

I lost weight both times

I put it on and some both times

meh to you Zoe!
  • mandimahoney5
    Options
    I've always heard 3500 a WEEK not in a day. I think it would be pretty impossible to do in a day.

Nope not impossible. My fitness and I are in a FitBit challenge ( to see who can do the most steps in 5 days) to catch up with others I walked on my treadmill for 3.5 hours yesterday ( not at one time). while watching tv.
    I burned almost 3450 according to FitBit yesterday. vyz94996qg5d.jpg

• queenofthedancehall
    Options
    This is actually true. I am a nutritionist and trainer. My mom is a doctor and we debated this. 3500 calories does equal one pound. It sounds disagreeable but if you want to try it for yourself then do this. Eat the way you normally would. Add in one hour of walking every day for a week. I say this because walking at a brisk pace for an hour can burn up to 500 calories. If you do this for seven days it equats out to 3500 calories. Weigh yourself at the end of the seventh day. Make your own judgement afterwards.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Those fitbit calories are including your burn without exercise, and I think what people are talking about is burning 3500 on top of maintenance. It's not impossible, but hard to do. For example, running 15 miles is roughly 1500 calories.

I'd also imagine that regularly burning that much on top of maintenance might have some bad effects on metabolism and general health depending.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    jcmhe wrote: »
    I recently came across a number of Professionals stating the above is a bit of myth???
    What's everyone else's views???? (you can't always believe the internet!)

I did find this article quite interesting!

http://www.zoeharcombe.com/the-knowledge/you-will-not-lose-1lb-every-time/

Fact!
    Why is it that people can argue for or against a given topic for pages on end, presenting evidence one way or another, and then someone like this comes along?
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Those fitbit calories are including your burn without exercise, and I think what people are talking about is burning 3500 on top of maintenance. It's not impossible, but hard to do. For example, running 15 miles is roughly 1500 calories.

I'd also imagine that regularly burning that much on top of maintenance might have some bad effects on metabolism and general health depending.

I worked in construction for 25 years and I ate 1400-1500 calories above maintenance (~2500 kcal) for a total of ~4000 kcals per day for that entire period. Heathliest point of my life.

• FredDoyle
    Options
    Sorry, can't find the edit button,,,
    I meant above a normally active person, not maintenance obviously.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    HAHAHA yes something like that! Thanks that is really helpful!

Let us know what grade you get :)
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I've always heard 3500 a WEEK not in a day. I think it would be pretty impossible to do in a day.

This.

• smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    BramageOMG wrote: »
    One of the "Biggest Loser" winners averaged 1lb per day for over 100 days. She got a lot of heat for it... but she did not die. I don't know if you blew back up.. I lost 60 faster than people say is "acceptable".. don't really care. Dr said: Nice Job

Those people have a great deal of weight to lose.. for the average person with 20-50 to lose it isn't do-able.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    People on the Biggest Loser do it all the time. The caveat is that they have a lot of weight to lose and make losing weight their full time job. They eat a certain number of calories a day (I heard them say 1200 - 1500 for women, 1500 - 1800 for men, but not positive) and then exercise as much as possible. I think their goal burns for the day (including BMR and all that) is upwards of 5000. So yeah, they burn 3500+ over what they are eating daily. Which means that its possible.

Is it healthy? Is it realistic for most people? Most likely not.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I love reading everyone's views on things like this! people get so riled up!! Bring out the pitch forks!!!

At the end of the day one persons views i.e the lady's on her blog is exactly that one person's view!

I very much doubt even 1/4 of the people on this site have any form of PROFESSIONAL nutritional,dietary and sports science knowledge, however you tend to find people are inclined to read and believe what they want because it makes them feel like they are succeeding in their weight loss goals even if the information they have been given hasn't ever been official credited or discredited!

Personally I am kinda sceptical that if you burn 3500 kcal a day I will lose 1lb (nor am I going to try it- it seems like ALOT of effect) but I get what people are saying it can be used as a general rule of thumb to give you a guide of how much you want or need to push yourself.

Has anyone else every tried this form of weight loss and how hard have they actually found it??? (Sorry I am very curious about these things!)

xx

In total...............Oh that would be quite interesting to read!
    I don't no how anyone has the will power to actually do something like that! everyone's views are really helpful and interesting! I am currently writing about this topic for an evening class I am doing!

:huh: So you doubt that even 25% of the people on this site know what they are talking about, but you're coming here to get help with your homework?
  • FredDoyle
    Options
    FredDoyle wrote: »
    Sorry, can't find the edit button,,,
    I meant above a normally active person, not maintenance obviously.

they don't have an edit button...not that I can find.

They do, I found it.
    Hover your mouse in the top right of your post and click the gear icon. You get an hour to do so...