Exhausted After Cutting Calories?

Options
I recently, about three weeks ago, started to count calories and make a concerted effort to lose weight. It started out really well, but now ifeel exhausted most of the time. What gives? Are my calories too low? I'm 5'6" and 227lb, and have my calorie goal at 1290. I'm usually able to be full at the end of the day in that range, and if not iwill usually just go over a bit too get there, ijust wish ihad some amount of energy! Any advice?

Replies

• berkayaliulker
    Options
    it's normal if you're not getting in enough carbs
  • Rmntrose
    Rmntrose Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You are most likely not eating enough to keep your body fueled. Also, are you taking a multivitamin?
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    1290 is on the low end for me, and I'm a 5'4" 135 lb lady. You may want to try upping your intake some.
  • maybebecca
    Options
    Thanks for the help everyone! I decided to up my calories to 1643/day, which is 80% of tdee. I don't want to do more than that right now as I have a tendency to binge when given too much freedom and I'm trying to get that under control. I appreciate your feedback.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    set your weight loss goal to an acceptable level. sounds like its 2lb a week on that low amount.
    try 1lb a week if you have the time to lose at that level.
    at 227, you will feel it for a month or so.
    i was 235, now 190.exercise helps hugely too.
    g luck.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    cw106 wrote: »
    set your weight loss goal to an acceptable level. sounds like its 2lb a week on that low amount.
    try 1lb a week if you have the time to lose at that level.
    at 227, you will feel it for a month or so.
    i was 235, now 190.exercise helps hugely too.
    g luck.

It's actually closer to 3lbs per week. I'm similar in stats and 1410 (my goal) is 2.3lb/week. No wonder she's exhausted!
  • dianesheart88
    dianesheart88 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Definitely increase your intake... you are probably eating too little and have your goals set for 2 lbs per week. I am 5 7 and weigh 217 and I am set at 1900. Eating 1200 a day would make me exhausted too. Good luck.
  • sparkly75
    sparkly75 Posts: 29 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I've noticed that a lot of people have their calorie goals set at 1200!
    Is'nt this really low even for a very small person especially if they are doing cardio as well!
    I'm 5ft 7 and 217lbs and my calorie goal is set at 1690 - I feel OK with that and I have a very demanding physical job - but even find it hard to stick to and often go a little over.

Also I think theres too much talk of cutting whole food groups out - I personally believe that you aren't going to get anywhere on a "diet" its a recipe for failure!
    Balanced meals good fats , carbs and lots of veg and some fruit - and NO SUGAR! (including all those carbs that turn into sugar - white flour etc.. ) information that we all know but has taken me this long to realise!
    Nothing wrong with having a bit of what you want within your calorie goal though - but be careful of trigger food ( carbs / sugar! )
    And of course exercise which I'm finding the hardest as I feel like I don't have the energy!
    But I'm hoping as my weight goes down my energy levels will increase.
    I say up your calories and don't "low carb" all it will do is make you binge!
    I've been yo yoing for years and no carbs will just make you starving!
    Sorry for the epic lol x
  • maybebecca
    Options
    sparkly75 wrote: »
    Sorry for the epic lol x

I'm not purposely eating low carb... Does my food diary read as though I am? I ask because this seemed to be a common response. I eat less carbs simply because a lot of them are calorically dense, but I wouldn't personally call my diet low carb...
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    If you're 227 lbs you don't need to be cutting on 1,290 calories. Keep calories as high as possible while still losing as a reasonable pace.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Looks like you want to lose 90 lbs. So, don't forget, you are a 140 lb. person carrying around a 90 lb. backpack. You need to eat more right now until you drop some of that load. No wonder you are exhausted. Who wouldn't be.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Also check your vitamins, a deficiency of any vitamins such as Vitamins D and B could also cause temporary tiredness. If that is in check, then you may need to recalculate your daily caloric intake. It is strange that you are full at the end of the day on 1290 but then tired. Although it does seem like a low number, if you're feeling full, upping your calories may not be the answer. Just a thought. Good luck!
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Try 1400-1500 calories a day. Walking always makes me feel better. I do mine outside not on a treadmill.

29509743.png
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    If you are a light office worker (activity level), you can lose 1-2 lbs a week on 1600 to 1800 calories a day. You should not be down to 1290. You will burn out. If you weighed 130 lbs, you would have to drop down to 1200-1300 to lose 1-2 lbs/week. Until then, EAT MORE.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    sparkly75 wrote: »
    I've noticed that a lot of people have their calorie goals set at 1200!
    Is'nt this really low even for a very small person especially if they are doing cardio as well!
    I'm 5ft 7 and 217lbs and my calorie goal is set at 1690 - I feel OK with that and I have a very demanding physical job - but even find it hard to stick to and often go a little over.

Also I think theres too much talk of cutting whole food groups out - I personally believe that you aren't going to get anywhere on a "diet" its a recipe for failure!
    Balanced meals good fats , carbs and lots of veg and some fruit - and NO SUGAR! (including all those carbs that turn into sugar - white flour etc.. ) information that we all know but has taken me this long to realise!
    Nothing wrong with having a bit of what you want within your calorie goal though - but be careful of trigger food ( carbs / sugar! )
    And of course exercise which I'm finding the hardest as I feel like I don't have the energy!
    But I'm hoping as my weight goes down my energy levels will increase.
    Sorry for the epic lol x

So much wrong in the post above, and so much contradiction "Don't cut out whole food groups but avoid all sugar and carbs!!??!"

Sugar doesn't make you gain weight, too many calories does.

I also wanted to add, looking at your diary, no you aren't eating low carb. The PP obviously didn't even look.