Unhealthy

Options
arinamargarina
arinamargarina Posts: 34 Member
edited October 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello :)

I have this problem where I noticed that I don't feel healthy at all. I keep a pretty healthy diet - it's not very varying, but I eat a lot (I mean a lot, like 10-15 servings) of fruit and vegetables, all day long.

I take my protein from eating cheese, ham and eggs daily. I often have oatmeal for breakfast for fiber. I'm guessing the problem is that I have completely given up any oil and bread and I used to eat a lot of sweets. However, I recently took up a challange where I have to completely give up sweets for 21 days, assuring that I take my necessary sugars from fruit (as I said, I eat a lot of them). My goal is to lower my sugar intake so that I'll hopefully lower the cravings.
I'm only skinny fat, i don't have a lot of weight to lose (about 4 lbs), but I really want to be healthy. I started eating some whole wheat bread and oils and even indulge in some bad foods (which I never did and by indulge I mean take a bite or two), but nothing has changed. My hair is dull, I have a skin drying condition, my nails are thin and always breaking and my tummy is always bloated. I mean at all times. And I get tired reaaaally fast.

All summer I rode my bike for 1h or more and ran for 30 mins daily, but for now I stopped any physical activity besides walking (I try to walk as much as I can).

Now that I look back I notice that my body has always looked like that and even worse.

What should I do?

Replies

• NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    See a doctor. You're describing thyroid symptoms.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Take a diet break. eat at maintenance for a few weeks and get enough fat and protein. While doing that maybe take a little time off of exercise then start incorporating strength training. Once you feel somewhat normal again cut 250 cals/day and lose the remaining weight while continuing to get fat, and protein and continue with strength training.
  • arinamargarina
    Options
    I got tested for thyroid problems and it's all fine.
  • sophiek1964
    sophiek1964 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I suggest visiting the doctor and getting a checkup and bloodwork done. Good luck!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Why did you give up oil?
    Why did you give up bread?
    What are "bad" foods?

Also, if you open your diary it will help people give you better advice.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    See a doctor. You're describing thyroid symptoms.
    ^^^^^THIS
    And if all is well, engage some strength training on top of what you're already doing for exercise.
    As for diet, lighten up a bit on all you can't eat. My food intake was and remains a work in progress. Don't be too strict except when it comes to total calories consumed as you follow the MFP recommendations for healthy fat loss.
  • arinamargarina
    Options
    Paige682 wrote: »
    Why did you give up oil?
    What are "bad" foods?

Pretzels, deep fried, fast food...
    I gave up everything because I was desperately trying to lose weight and stupid.

• CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Open your diary and we can advise better.

It sounds like you're not taking in a lot of fat, though. And fat's important for things like nails and hair.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I agree with getting complete bloodwork done. You've lost 170lbs (wow!) -- even though you eat a healthy diet, maybe you're malnourished?
  • PRMinx
    Options
    Why did you give up oil?
    What are "bad" foods?

I gave up everything because I was desperately trying to lose weight and stupid.

I think you should see a doctor. But, at the same time (and not having seen your diary), you may need more dietary fat. I know that eggs and cheese have fat, but how much are you getting? The nails and hair sounds like a fat and protein problem. There's nothing wrong with olive oil, butter, etc. Avocado is great, too.

• Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Even if your thyroid is measuring in the normal range, it still could be causing a problem. Additionally, your adrenals and Vitamin D levels could be an issue as well.
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    daydreams_of_pretty Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I agree with the fat thing (and see a doctor). I had a similar situation when I was vegan. I ate little to no fat for awhile (not on purpose, I wasn't tracking). I had your symptoms and actually started losing my hair. It took awhile to figure out what was causing it.
  • smelons
    smelons Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Too much fruit and veg could be causing the bloating.
  • arinamargarina
    Options
    Why did you give up oil?
    What are "bad" foods?

I think you should see a doctor. But, at the same time (and not having seen your diary), you may need more dietary fat. I know that eggs and cheese have fat, but how much are you getting? The nails and hair sounds like a fat and protein problem. There's nothing wrong with olive oil, butter, etc. Avocado is great, too.

I eat one hard boiled egg (or two, in an omelet) and more or less 100 g cheese a day. The cheese is not too fat (not because I'm trying to cut out on fat, but because this is how I like cheese). However, I used to eat a lot more in the past and my body looked the same.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    Why did you give up oil?
    What are "bad" foods?

I eat one hard boiled egg (or two, in an omelet) and more or less 100 g cheese a day. The cheese is not too fat (not because I'm trying to cut out on fat, but because this is how I like cheese). However, I used to eat a lot more in the past and my body looked the same.

You are not eating enough fat or protein.
  • belanna5
    belanna5 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hello :)

I take my protein from eating cheese, ham and eggs daily.

What about meat? Real meat not 'ham'. Or fish? Are you sure you iron level is ok?
  • arinamargarina
    Options
    I agree with the fat thing (and see a doctor). I had a similar situation when I was vegan. I ate little to no fat for awhile (not on purpose, I wasn't tracking). I had your symptoms and actually started losing my hair. It took awhile to figure out what was causing it.

So how did it work out for you?
    I'm guessing PCOS, which is why I was prescribed birth control pills but I'm now on my 3rd month on them and nothing has really changed (except the period-related things, of course).
    Do you think that must be it?
    And again, how did you manage to get back to normal eating and healthy hair?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

So how did it work out for you?
    I'm guessing PCOS, which is why I was prescribed birth control pills but I'm now on my 3rd month on them and nothing has really changed (except the period-related things, of course).
    Do you think that must be it?
    And again, how did you manage to get back to normal eating and healthy hair?

if its PCOS then you dont want the tonnes of fruit and veg you say you eat.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Eat more protein and fat. 10-15 servings of fruit and vegetables is not really necessary, and certainly not if you are eating so many of them that you aren't getting necessary macronutrients like fat and protein.

Eat a balanced diet.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Do you take in a multi-vitamin? If not, you should start taking one. If you do already, definitely get more healthy fats into your diet - whole milk, full fat cheese/sour cream/yogurts. A lot of vitamins are fat-soluble so even if you're taking in enough, they will pass right through you without any fat in your diet.

I also agree with PP's who say to eat at maintenance for about a month, don't give up any foods, just keep in your calorie goals, and then cut by 1-200 calories at a time to lose slowly, steadily, and healthily.