Unhealthy

Options
2»

Replies

• meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I got tested for thyroid problems and it's all fine.

unfortunately, the definition of "fine" is (and has been) changing. after i had my son, i asked my doctor to test my thyroid levels... my TSH came back at 4.6 and she just said "oh you're normal." i found out recently that even 4 years ago when i had that test done, anything over 3.5 - 4.0 was considered hypothyroid and i should have been sent for more tests and put on medication. and there's also additional research that's been done showing that even if your TSH is within the normal ranges, your free T3 and T4 levels can also be indicators that something is wrong.

see an endocrinologist and have them do a full workup... thyroid, adrenals, vitamin deficiencies, cholesterol, a1c, glucose, thyroid antibodies, the whole shebang.
  • AMamaLana
    AMamaLana Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Not all fats are bad, there are a variety of fats that are very necessary. While eating lots of vegetables is great and admirable, too much of a good thing can go badly too (maybe some of the bloat can be due to this?) Echoing others, add in some healthy fats (low processed meats and fish, nuts and natural nut butters, legumes/beans, eggs, healthier oils like olive or coconut, avocados are nutrient packed, I would love to hear more suggestions myself. Cheese is a decent source as well, and is totally my weakness, but cheese is usually very high in calories too so if you are calorie counting it can be a challenge to have in your daily diet.
    There is a lot of mixed information out there about fats, but many of the original studies done on fat and the human body were very flawed/skewed and/or now very much out dated (like, instead of telling people to cut down on how many dairy servings they consumed per day, they told them to drink fat free instead, which fat content we realize more and more is NOT the issue...) I like to go in to the grocery store, or my cupboard, with the mind set that "if it grew this way in nature, it is good for me to eat in that form, in normal portion sizes, with a variety of other natural foods." The closer you can keep your diet to eating foods in a very low processed or raw form, generally the better your body will feel. Easier said than done of course, macaroni and butter is just so tasty...

I have come to the general realization that many people will have issues with their thyroid, or any other body function, and routine tests done by a general practitioner will not show it. I also believe that, like the food fats situation, our health care providers are probably referencing outdated information when assessing things like blood work. Doing some of your own research and knowing what questions to ask and prompt your doctor to maybe even research themselves to help you is the best way to go.
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    daydreams_of_pretty Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I agree with the fat thing (and see a doctor). I had a similar situation when I was vegan. I ate little to no fat for awhile (not on purpose, I wasn't tracking). I had your symptoms and actually started losing my hair. It took awhile to figure out what was causing it.

So how did it work out for you?
    I'm guessing PCOS, which is why I was prescribed birth control pills but I'm now on my 3rd month on them and nothing has really changed (except the period-related things, of course).
    Do you think that must be it?
    And again, how did you manage to get back to normal eating and healthy hair?

No PCOS for me.

I just started adding in fats - guacamole (yum), avocado slices, nuts, coconut milk ice cream. I was still vegan at the time, so it was all dairy/egg/meat free. I still watch my fat now because dealing with the whole situation sucked. I tend to gravitate toward lower fat food items, but I'm getting better. MFP has helped me track it, and I've even had some really high fat days lately, which actually made me happy because fat is not the enemy. My hair and skin are both great now, though it has been a few years since all this happened.

You might want to check with your doctor if you think it might be related to your PCOS.
  • arinamargarina
    arinamargarina Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Not all fats are bad, there are a variety of fats that are very necessary. While eating lots of vegetables is great and admirable, too much of a good thing can go badly too (maybe some of the bloat can be due to this?) Echoing others, add in some healthy fats (low processed meats and fish, nuts and natural nut butters, legumes/beans, eggs, healthier oils like olive or coconut, avocados are nutrient packed, I would love to hear more suggestions myself. Cheese is a decent source as well, and is totally my weakness, but cheese is usually very high in calories too so if you are calorie counting it can be a challenge to have in your daily diet.
    There is a lot of mixed information out there about fats, but many of the original studies done on fat and the human body were very flawed/skewed and/or now very much out dated (like, instead of telling people to cut down on how many dairy servings they consumed per day, they told them to drink fat free instead, which fat content we realize more and more is NOT the issue...) I like to go in to the grocery store, or my cupboard, with the mind set that "if it grew this way in nature, it is good for me to eat in that form, in normal portion sizes, with a variety of other natural foods." The closer you can keep your diet to eating foods in a very low processed or raw form, generally the better your body will feel. Easier said than done of course, macaroni and butter is just so tasty...

I have come to the general realization that many people will have issues with their thyroid, or any other body function, and routine tests done by a general practitioner will not show it. I also believe that, like the food fats situation, our health care providers are probably referencing outdated information when assessing things like blood work. Doing some of your own research and knowing what questions to ask and prompt your doctor to maybe even research themselves to help you is the best way to go.

Thank you so much, this is very helpful:)
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    daydreams_of_pretty Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Do you take in a multi-vitamin? If not, you should start taking one. If you do already, definitely get more healthy fats into your diet - whole milk, full fat cheese/sour cream/yogurts. A lot of vitamins are fat-soluble so even if you're taking in enough, they will pass right through you without any fat in your diet.

I also agree with PP's who say to eat at maintenance for about a month, don't give up any foods, just keep in your calorie goals, and then cut by 1-200 calories at a time to lose slowly, steadily, and healthily.

So true about the fat soluble vitamins!
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I got tested for thyroid problems and it's all fine.

unfortunately, the definition of "fine" is (and has been) changing. after i had my son, i asked my doctor to test my thyroid levels... my TSH came back at 4.6 and she just said "oh you're normal." i found out recently that even 4 years ago when i had that test done, anything over 3.5 - 4.0 was considered hypothyroid and i should have been sent for more tests and put on medication. and there's also additional research that's been done showing that even if your TSH is within the normal ranges, your free T3 and T4 levels can also be indicators that something is wrong.

see an endocrinologist and have them do a full workup... thyroid, adrenals, vitamin deficiencies, cholesterol, a1c, glucose, thyroid antibodies, the whole shebang.

^^This. Standard tests only look at TSH, not T3 and T4. There's more to the picture. Sometimes we need to push our doctors to look deeper.

• libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    No leafy greens or cruciferous veggies in you diet? No avocado, nuts or seeds?