When did you buy new clothes?

Options
This is my first successful weight loss journey... ahem lifestyle change and I'm down 21 pounds. The last couple of weeks I have noticed my work slacks don't fit me and everything I wear feels so baggy. I still have a goal to lose another 10 pounds so I don't want to buy clothes just yet if I'll need to buy more in a few months. I'm curious to hear from you... when did you finally decide to buy new clothes after your weight loss?

Replies

• HaibaneReki
    HaibaneReki Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    when I knew it was almost maintenance time, don't wanna buy this expensive suit twice ;)
  • ktloo
    ktloo Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm about 6 lbs from goal and I just broke down and bought some new clothes, not an entire wardrobe but enough to get by. Just couldn't stand feeling frumpy or pulling my pants up all the time any more.
  • BRobertson23
    BRobertson23 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    One of the things I did was go through ALL my current clothes. I tried everything on to see how it fit and looked. Weed out the clothes that you don't feel flatter you or, at least, those clothes you're swimming in or are falling off your body. Then determine your "staples". What clothes do you wear most often? Are those the ones you got rid of? For me, I needed a couple pairs of jeans, 1-2 pairs of slacks, and then I make sure I have tops I can dress up or dress down. Most people tend to wear the same things repeatedly. SO....all of that's to say, see what you have left in your closet after you "weed" it. Then buy any staples you need. Once you reach your goal, then buy some additional outfits or specialty items. I think just trying on new clothes is fun (having lost 40 lbs myself)! I've still held on to a couple of things, but I'm slowly replacing items (jeans, jackets, workout clothes). I guess I would suggest that you don't go "hog wild" and buy a whole new set of clothes. Good luck and have fun!
  • BettyDares
    BettyDares Posts: 1,498 Member
    Options
    When you've already lost a significant amount of weight I don't see anything wrong with investing in some core pieces. This is both a celebration and a motivation so you have a new baseline to measure your progress through the fit of your new clothes. That being said, I wouldn't go hog-wild spending cash on clothes until you get to goal.

If I were in your enviable situation, I'd check out local thrift stores/Goodwill for some finds in your current size that are reasonably priced. You'll be supporting a good mission, saving money, and you will feel good donating them back when you're ready for your next size down wardrobe!
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Since my goal is literally losing more than half of my starting weight, there is no way I could keep wearing my old clothes the whole time, plus I'm a healthcare manager and have to look good, and I feel a lot better in well fitted clothing.

I've started getting really familiar with my local thrift stores, every couple of months I go through my ENTIRE wardrobe and donate anything that doesn't fit me anymore (except a few pieces I like and are altering on my own). Right now it seems like every 2-3 months I'm changing sizes. And When I thrift store shop I look for clothes in my new size, and the size below it, because if I find something really good I'd rather get it now than later. And if you have the time to shop a couple times a week, it doesn't take too long to find some pretty nice clothes, none of my thrift store clothing looks dated or gross, it just takes some looking.

Once I'm to maintenance, or much closer, I will still buy thrift store clothes, but then I plan on investing a bit more money to some new rocking clothes.
  • Monnik73
    Monnik73 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Shopping at thrift or consignment stores is a good idea for staple items that you need. I have had to buy quite a few new things, but I also was able to 'closet shop' to find some older, smaller clothes to wear.
  • abigail659
    abigail659 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    ktloo wrote: »
    I'm about 6 lbs from goal and I just broke down and bought some new clothes, not an entire wardrobe but enough to get by. Just couldn't stand feeling frumpy or pulling my pants up all the time any more.

That is me exactly. I feel so frumpy in my work slacks and wearing a belt doesn't help at all. For girls, belts are for fashion not for holding pants up. I've been wearing more skirts to get away from slacks but even the skirts are starting to get big and we can't have those falling off. haha!
  • abigail659
    Options
    One of the things I did was go through ALL my current clothes. I tried everything on to see how it fit and looked. Weed out the clothes that you don't feel flatter you or, at least, those clothes you're swimming in or are falling off your body. Then determine your "staples". What clothes do you wear most often? Are those the ones you got rid of? For me, I needed a couple pairs of jeans, 1-2 pairs of slacks, and then I make sure I have tops I can dress up or dress down. Most people tend to wear the same things repeatedly. SO....all of that's to say, see what you have left in your closet after you "weed" it. Then buy any staples you need. Once you reach your goal, then buy some additional outfits or specialty items. I think just trying on new clothes is fun (having lost 40 lbs myself)! I've still held on to a couple of things, but I'm slowly replacing items (jeans, jackets, workout clothes). I guess I would suggest that you don't go "hog wild" and buy a whole new set of clothes. Good luck and have fun!

Great idea about "weeding" I will need to do that. Thanks so much!
  • abigail659
    Options
    Monnik73 wrote: »
    Shopping at thrift or consignment stores is a good idea for staple items that you need. I have had to buy quite a few new things, but I also was able to 'closet shop' to find some older, smaller clothes to wear.

Yes, I went "closet shopping" and it was actually motivating to fit into clothes that made it to the back of my closet.
  • abigail659
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas about the thrift stores... I used to do that and got away from it. I love saving money so I will try that again until I've met and maintained my weight.
  • rainbowblu
    rainbowblu Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if jeans can be altered in the butt area? I have lots of jeans and they are saggy in the hips and butt, yet, the waist fits fine...I would just buy more but it took a long time for me to find jeans that fit my weird apple shape...I'm still losing. How much can one alter items?
  • sarahsedai
    sarahsedai Posts: 273 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    i've lost a little over 30 lbs, and i've had to replace my pants. i didn't want to have to spend $ on new clothes cause i still got 30-40 more to lose, but even a belt wasn't cutting it... and my work pants were looking -ridiculous-. i've been able to get away with still wearing most of my tops though. just bought a few new bottoms on the cheap... with the plan that they won't fit me for much longer anyway. :)

Edit for this little note - it also wasn't until i got some proper fitting clothes that people really started to notice my weight loss. huge motivation boost, and it made me feel even better about my changing body.
  • ianthy
    ianthy Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I bought a small number of new clothes during the weight loss stage from ebay or charity shops. Then when I reached GW I bought a few more new things. Funny - how many clothes I had bought along the way that had never fitted and suddenly at GW they were fine.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    abigail659 wrote: »
    This is my first successful weight loss journey... ahem lifestyle change and I'm down 21 pounds. The last couple of weeks I have noticed my work slacks don't fit me and everything I wear feels so baggy. I still have a goal to lose another 10 pounds so I don't want to buy clothes just yet if I'll need to buy more in a few months. I'm curious to hear from you... when did you finally decide to buy new clothes after your weight loss?

Old Navy and Forever21 have really cheap clothing. Not the greatest quality, but low prices and current styles.

• dwozniak16
    dwozniak16 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I don't really buy new clothes, my goal was to fit into my old ones lol.
    But I guess it is much different for people who actually like buying new clothes.
    I'm actually quite excited for business professional apparel. I'm gonna look slick in a new business suit once I hit goal! 3 pounds shut of my halfway mark!
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I bought a couple of new items as I needed them. I went from a size 14 to a size 6. . . there were a few new pants in between.

I have a new job that begins in November and I have to dress professionally. At my current job I wear jeans and over-sized t-shirts. Hello, shopping!
  • Jesssamesssa
    Jesssamesssa Posts: 116 Member
    Options

Every month.......My pants were literally falling off as I walked. I had to. I bought two pair a few weeks ago. A week or two after buying them they were too big. I mean I can still wear them, and I do, they are just nice and baggy. lol I plan on really going shopping when I hit my goal.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options

I broke down and finally purchased some new jeans (2 sizes smaller). My others were just so baggy I was resorting to using a safety pin to cinch in the waists, lol. I also bought a couple of low cost long sleeve t-shirts that are stretchy and much more fitted. I got so many comments on my weight loss when I wore them :)
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    if you can afford it..buy some things you look good in now. I see folks on here all at the time with frumpy hair and the same clothes they started in. as if they don't deserve a fresh new look until they're at goal. treat yourself right and look your best along the way..

that's my opinion.
  • Smoofalz
    Smoofalz Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I finally bought a few new things today. I started in June and am about 40 pounds down, and about 2, almost 3 pants sizes. I was lucky I had a few pieces of clothing stored in the closet from when I was smaller (or I would have had to buy things sooner), but still didn't have that much that fit comfortable. I think its also good motivation to see how good you look in something new! So maybe just set yourself some mini goals to buy just a few new articles of clothes at those point. You don't have to go buy a whole new wardrobe or anything, just a couple pieces to get you by to the next few sizes. Clearance racks are always good too!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!