Porridge with water not milk... opinion?

Options
124»

Replies

• myrtille87
    myrtille87 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I use mostly water too - just a little splash of milk towards the end.
  • vamaena
    vamaena Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I tend to not like the taste of it without milk. I've tried it with just water and found it to be too dry. I also tried using almond milk and it just wasn't the same. I haven't eaten it since June though.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I started out with water but switched to Silk almond milk. Tastes good, okay on calories and gives me calcium. Then I pile on the fruit and nuts.
  • deelabonte
    Options
    388gigi wrote: »
    Ive always made mine with hot water, and mixed in a tiny bit of milk once its done. (about a tablespoon)

This is what I do too, and it's great! I use homemade almond milk.

Another trick I like to do is to cook half of a banana on low in the saucepan prior to adding anything else- it almost melts and starts to caramelize and it makes it DELICIOUS.
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I've only just used water to make porridge. All sweetness added comes from fresh fruit only. No sugar or honey. I often consume 80 grams of oats (yes, that much) and top it off with fruits, such as apples, grapes, berries, raisins, kiwis (amazing!), et cetera. My porridge meal is always immensely satisfying, satiating, and logs in at just under 370 calories.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Just throwing this out there

zombie.jpg

Watch out for new posters bumping threads from months ago...
  • kendalslimmer
    kendalslimmer Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Cook it really slow with big oats and by the time it's properly cooked, you won't be able to tell the difference. At least that's what my mum told me the other day!
  • krympmeg22
    krympmeg22 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I always make oatmeal every morning with just water in the microwave, adding(drowning it in) cinnamon and some jam when its done.
    However, I don't think oatmeal made with water tastes good when it is cooked on the stove in a pot. I don't know why, but the texture is different. For me, if it's cooked on the stove, it needs to contain milk.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I make mine with water every day. I also add raisins and apple. YUM.
  • bloodlett
    bloodlett Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    almond milk in the micro or on the stove is the best of both worlds taste like milk and almost no fat lots of calcium
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I used to eat it years ago with 'top of the milk' cream and golden syrup. Might as well eat wet cardboard if you cook it in water for me..
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    Options
    I've never used anything other than water for porridge, whether it's from one of those instant packets or slow-cooked. My favourite is steel-cut oats.

I don't add milk after cooking either. Just a little brown sugar if they are plain and not one of the flavoured varieties.