True or False? A Calorie is a Calorie is a Calorie.

Options

Replies

• LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Obviously, when individuals state "a calorie isn't a calorie," they are discussing the effects the various types of food have on health or (as many here should be interested in) the ability to lose weight.

The argument most certainly is that calories from some foods have a different effect in terms of weight loss--in other words, in terms of energy--than others. If this were so, it wouldn't actually preference "healthy" foods, as seems to be the argument, ironically. It would suggest that the problem of world hunger could be best solved by shipping candy bars or "processed junk," since that stuff apparently is able to provide calories well beyond it's actual, well, calorie count. Magic! But also a tremendous boon, were it but true.

Except, of course, for the minor fact that a candy bar isn't nutritionally complete. What good are extra "magic" calories, if you're still malnourished? Thankfully, those that are charge of fighting global world hunger don't reside on these forums.

Um, it wasn't a real proposal, which I think was obvious, but since one of the huge issues is a lack of adequate calories and not just nutrients, simply getting those adequate calories would be a boon, like I said.

Thanks for pointing out that no one on these boards has either the ability or connections to make a serious proposal to combat world hunger. If such were the case, I implore you to leave these forums (along with your insane post count) and go where you can do some actual good.

Doesn't change the fact that it was in poor taste.

• DeannaLynnPerkins
    DeannaLynnPerkins Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie...I completely agree with this. The only thing I'd advise on is that nutritionally you should be getting your calories from various sources. While you might lose weight eating twinkies, as long as they are under your calorie goal, health wise you are not going to be doing so hot. Your body needs the various sources to help your systems function accurately in the body.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Thanks for pointing out that no one on these boards has either the ability or connections to make a serious proposal to combat world hunger. If such were the case, I implore you to leave these forums (along with your insane post count) and go where you can do some actual good.

Doesn't change the fact that it was in poor taste.

More accurately, you don't like that I pointed out that you were wrong.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    adowe wrote: »
    @Paige, have you had 4 kids and are you over 40? It's easy being young, enjoy it while you can.

WTF does this prove/disprove?

There are plenty of women over 40 with 4 kids that have never had the need to lose weight or been overweight.

This statement is silly.

Agreed...I might not have 4 kids but I am over 40 and I will eat carbs if I want...and I do...helps with energy for my workouts...

silly silly silly...

*inserts ticker for emphasis*
    45561484.png

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Hit and run comment...

Meat and veggie calories yum! Sugar and junk food calories yuk!

Hmmm... let's see, do I want a big pile of organic omega eggs loaded with veggies and real bacon cooked in real butter and/or coconut oil for breakfast? Or do I want a (fake/carby) bacon egg and cheese sandwich from Dunkin Donuts... both have around the same amount of calories.

The sandwich will most likely make me feel full for about an hour, and bloated and overloaded with sodium and whatever other chemicals are used to process and I'll surely be looking forward to my 10:30 snack. Oh wait... am I really hungry for a snack or did MFP tell me I should have a snack? Anyway... The sandwich is quick and easy and I can even eat it in the car on my way to work.

The first choice... filling to the point where I can't finish the appropriate portion and leaves me feeling full, satisfied, lean and strong. No bloating, plenty of energy and not even thinking about my next meal, how many calories I have left for the day... plus a powerful workout.

Fat doesn't make you fat, carbs - grains, bread, wheat, pasta do.

Sure, a calorie is a calorie but as stated here many times nutrition is different.

I'd rather eat more and eat right and not stress about calories and numbers and lose weight vs. the other option.

A lot of the nutrition plans out there are based on trial and error and a lot of math. Paleo is backed by science. Everyone's body (normally functioning body) digest food in the same manner.

Taking cover in anticipation of the nasty comments about my opinion... hahahaha!

I would like to know where you have seen carby bacon? Is it infused with bread or something?

Personally, I prefer chickfila over DD. Something about chicken, egg and cheese is just so good!!

I am quoting myself because I am seriously interested in knowing what carby bacon is... and possibly where I can get some if it taste good.

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Hit and run comment...

Hmmm... let's see, do I want a big pile of organic omega eggs loaded with veggies and real bacon cooked in real butter and/or coconut oil for breakfast? Or do I want a (fake/carby) bacon egg and cheese sandwich from Dunkin Donuts... both have around the same amount of calories.

The sandwich will most likely make me feel full for about an hour, and bloated and overloaded with sodium and whatever other chemicals are used to process and I'll surely be looking forward to my 10:30 snack. Oh wait... am I really hungry for a snack or did MFP tell me I should have a snack? Anyway... The sandwich is quick and easy and I can even eat it in the car on my way to work.

The first choice... filling to the point where I can't finish the appropriate portion and leaves me feeling full, satisfied, lean and strong. No bloating, plenty of energy and not even thinking about my next meal, how many calories I have left for the day... plus a powerful workout.

Sure, a calorie is a calorie but as stated here many times nutrition is different.

I'd rather eat more and eat right and not stress about calories and numbers and lose weight vs. the other option.

A lot of the nutrition plans out there are based on trial and error and a lot of math. Paleo is backed by science. Everyone's body (normally functioning body) digest food in the same manner.

Taking cover in anticipation of the nasty comments about my opinion... hahahaha!

I would like to know where you have seen carby bacon? Is it infused with bread or something?

Personally, I prefer chickfila over DD. Something about chicken, egg and cheese is just so good!!

I am quoting myself because I am seriously interested in knowing what carby bacon is... and possibly where I can get some if it taste good.

If you dip said bacon in honey or maple syrup, it would be carby. And effing delicious.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    A calorie is a calorie. Just like a foot is a foot, a yard is a yard and a liter is a liter. What comprises those calories will obviously have a different effect on hormones, how they are stored and what they are used for.
    The biggest issue here is usually when carbs become the conversation and it becomes a long drawn out argument of whether they are needed by the body or not.
    Both sides have great arguments, but the reality is that when it comes to weight loss, it's usually going to just come down to calories in/out.

Thread solved on page 1, GG.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Paige682 wrote: »
    Hit and run comment...

If you dip said bacon in honey or maple syrup, it would be carby. And effing delicious.

Or make those bacon pancakes where you cook the bacon and pour pancake batter over them and flip ....they look yummy
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Hit and run comment...

Or make those bacon pancakes where you cook the bacon and pour pancake batter over them and flip ....they look yummy

Well, now I know what's for breakfast this weekend! :drinker:

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    I've lost 30 pounds in 77 days on paleo. Sure, I could have lost it any other way, but the point is I wasn't miserable. So, no, a calorie is not a calorie unless you enjoy agonizing over everything you put in your mouth and feeling deprived which is what OP is asking. I feel bad for all of you defending your crackers and tortillas but go ahead and eat what you want, it's not like that's what made you overweight in the first place.
    Did you gain 30 pounds in 77 days? Hmmm. . . . .I like your post though. Makes sense and I'll defend my Doritos a little later. And you shouldn't feel bad 'cause Paleo!!
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Hit and run comment...

I insert bacon slices in to my waffles and then coat the whole thing in syrup, for *extra* carby bacon goodness.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Hit and run comment...

I insert bacon slices in to my waffles and then coat the whole thing in syrup, for *extra* carby bacon goodness.

Even more carby goodness would be if your next step was to batter dip and deep fry it.
  • lemonlime006
    Options
    So, along these same lines, I tend to be under calories on days that I work out, and need to eat more in the evening to make up for my deficit I've created throughout the day. One thread on here suggested a spoonful of peanut butter or a protein shake, with an overwhelming suggestion to eat ice cream. What are your thoughts on this?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    So, along these same lines, I tend to be under calories on days that I work out, and need to eat more in the evening to make up for my deficit I've created throughout the day. One thread on here suggested a spoonful of peanut butter or a protein shake, with an overwhelming suggestion to eat ice cream. What are your thoughts on this?

Whatever you feel like having, as long as your macros are met.....also, keep in mind that exercise calories aren't an exact science, they're an estimate. If you're eating back exercise calories there may be some adjustment needed. Most start at 50% and adjust from there.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Hit and run comment...

Maple Bacon Long Johns
    Chocolate Covered Bacon

Both Delicious and Carby...

• SezxyStef
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    I've lost 30 pounds in 77 days on paleo. Sure, I could have lost it any other way, but the point is I wasn't miserable. So, no, a calorie is not a calorie unless you enjoy agonizing over everything you put in your mouth and feeling deprived which is what OP is asking. I feel bad for all of you defending your crackers and tortillas but go ahead and eat what you want, it's not like that's what made you overweight in the first place.
    Did you gain 30 pounds in 77 days? Hmmm. . . . .I like your post though. Makes sense and I'll defend my Doritos a little later. And you shouldn't feel bad 'cause Paleo!!

I am not gonna defend Doritos (I do like them tho) and no they didn't make me fat...

But I will say this...I don't agonize over everything I put in my mouth and I don't feel the least bit deprived because I am not...I eat what I want when I want including dairy, carbs and other things that are not paleo and that doesn't stop me from losing weight...

Heck I just ate pumpkin pie, chicken fingers wrapped in tortillas with sour cream and cheese and avocado...next is my chocolate bar and diet coke.

How can you feel deprived on that?

If someone wants to do paleo have at but don't think that it's the best or think that a calorie isn't a calorie that's just well...silly.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    A lot of what you said in the OP is true, but there's more going on there as well. It's true that there's generally a preference to storage excess carbohydrates as glycogen over converting it to fat, but that doesn't mean on any given day you won't gain any fat by going over your calories eating additional carbohydrates, because the fat you ate earlier that day can easily be stored while your additional carbs are burned for fuel. Put another way, your body doesn't know what is the "excess calories for the day", it just knows what it has available to it and food stays with you for longer than you might think. So regardless of how you go over your calories, odds are you're going to gain some fat.

Where you see that knowledge being used is for carb refeeds, where people come into a refeed day with nearly depleted glycogen stores and then they consume a surplus of carbohydrates. There, the body is going to prefer to use those additional carbohydrates to replenish your glycogen stores, rather than converting them and storing them as fat, and so you may see minimal fat gain even though you're pushing into a surplus.

But at the end of the day, you don't need to make things that complicated. If you're at a true caloric deficit, you will lose fat over time.
  • JZ_Evolution_Mark2
    JZ_Evolution_Mark2 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Well a calorie is a unit of measurement first off... it is the amount of energy released per unit mass of a given substance.

With that being said.... I will say that a dead calorie (such as those given by booze) have a very low energy value so are deemed to be "dead".

Fast burn calories with a lot of energy used up immediately (like a candy bar or fruit) have very High energy ratings... HOWEVER, its not the calorie that is the issue... it is the way that your body metabolizes and uses or stores the energy. These calories come from glucose... and will spike insulin levels... setting off a chain reaction of chemical changes in your body... If you dont burn this energy then it is converted and stored... AS FAT (potential future energy source).

Then you have slow burn calories which provide moderate to high energy values over a period of time typically not seen in the above mentions calorie sources... Examples of these calories come from carbs obtained in yams, brown rice and protein (yes protein has a caloric value)...

In the end dont read too much "opinion" material such as mine or anyone elses on here... Read factual scientific information and fully understand what is understood as fact by science about nutrition and health... then modify your diet and life based on that.

In the end no one on MFP or any other website has all of the information and the more you understand from experts the better off you will be. I am a living example of it.

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day... teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime" - JC