True or False? A Calorie is a Calorie is a Calorie.

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Great strategy in this thread. Announce hit and run comment right away because you know you're about to post nonsense and will get called out. Super smart.

i believe that is called an "exit strategy"…..
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Rather than yet another conversation about diet styles and Paleo, how about what the op asked about.... is a calorie always a calorie. Yes, a calorie is a unit of measurement.

How different food types, cooking styles, and "how" the body processes food, however, is far, far more complex. People would like really simple answers but it's really not quite so simple as everyone would like to believe. Your body is a very, very complex living organism and many complex chemical reactions take place to turn food into the fuel that your body uses.

Here is an article about why a "calorie counts are wrong". Video and article below.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/video/why-calorie-counts-are-wrong2013-08-20/

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/science-reveals-why-calorie-counts-are-all-wrong/

It doesn't matter if the counts are "wrong". It's an arbitrary scale. If you count up your calories and are losing at a specific rate, you can use that method or adjust at will.
    It's trial and error. I could substitute calories for widgets and decide a 100 g potato is 1 widget of energy. If I stop losing, I'll just cut back my intake to a few less widgets per day until I'm losing at the rate I want...
  • refilwe708
    refilwe708 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    50sFit wrote: »
    Yes, a calorie is a calorie..but...the source of our calories are very different, and it matters greatly. For mere weight loss, eat whatever but have a slight deficit. For weight loss and optimal health, you need to give attention to the source of your calories.
    A simple example:

A bowl of white sugar = 400 calories
    A bowl of grapes and a salad with olive oil and lemon juice = 400 calories

The energy is the same, but the nutrition is different.

Best answer ever!!! Thank you
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Why are we still talking about this? I already answered the question. :wink:
  • katharineshalia
    katharineshalia Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I've lost 30 pounds in 77 days on paleo. Sure, I could have lost it any other way, but the point is I wasn't miserable. So, no, a calorie is not a calorie unless you enjoy agonizing over everything you put in your mouth and feeling deprived which is what OP is asking. I feel bad for all of you defending your crackers and tortillas but go ahead and eat what you want, it's not like that's what made you overweight in the first place.
  • MissyLaRae
    MissyLaRae Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Um not at all. I'm a high carb low fat vegan (no animal products at all) and I'm down 16 pounds in 6 weeks eating 2500-3000 calories a day.

NOT all calories are equal. Fat calories are the worst you can eat. A diet high in milk and mean is the worst you could possibly have.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    MissyLaRae wrote: »
    Um not at all. I'm a high carb low fat vegan (no animal products at all) and I'm down 16 pounds in 6 weeks eating 2500-3000 calories a day.

NOT all calories are equal. Fat calories are the worst you can eat. A diet high in milk and mean is the worst you could possibly have.

If you are going to make outrageous claims, please post scientific evidence to back them up.

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Paige682 wrote: »

If you are going to make outrageous claims, please post scientific evidence to back them up.

^^This

And by saying you're losing at 2500-3000 calories a day, are you claiming that you're losing in a surplus, or just letting us know you have a TDEE over 3000 calories?
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I eat 2450 calories or more a day of whatever the heck I want and have lost weight, can lift more and run farther then I ever have in my life, and feel healthy, full and satisfied. And I have the blood work numbers to back my feelings so it's not just placebo. Oh and I consume a certified *isht*-ton of milk and meat.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I've lost 30 pounds in 77 days on paleo. Sure, I could have lost it any other way, but the point is I wasn't miserable. So, no, a calorie is not a calorie unless you enjoy agonizing over everything you put in your mouth and feeling deprived which is what OP is asking. I feel bad for all of you defending your crackers and tortillas but go ahead and eat what you want, it's not like that's what made you overweight in the first place.

That's a whole lotta projection for one post.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

You lost by calorie deficit. What are you not understanding?

• PRMinx
    Options

Well, I've been eating crackers and tortillas my whole life (and also bread and pasta) and I've never had 30 pounds to lose...so....yeah. Not everyone on here is/was overweight.

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Well, I've been eating crackers and tortillas my whole life (and also bread and pasta) and I've never had 30 pounds to lose...so....yeah. Not everyone on here is/was overweight.

tumblr_mwwg1be69U1s8o2d0o1_500.gif
  • MissyLaRae
    MissyLaRae Posts: 7 Member
    Options

There is a ton of scientific data to back up a nutritious plant based diet. Meat & Dairy is not healthy. It's not an outrageous claim and no I'm not going to do your research for you. I've invested years into finding the right lifestyle that works for me and done a lot of research into diet myself.

I personally eat 2500-3000 calories every single day for the past 6 weeks and my weight loss is currently at 16 pounds. I have a sedentary lifestyle as an author and walk 20 minutes a day weather permitting. So with little to no exercise I am losing weight. That isn't to say it's right for you, but if I was eating 2500-3000 calories of fat from animal products I most likely would be gaining weight, according to MFP I should be.
  • katharineshalia
    katharineshalia Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    @Paige, have you had 4 kids and are you over 40? It's easy being young, enjoy it while you can.
  • PRMinx
    edited October 2014
    Options

There is a ton of scientific data to back up a nutritious plant based diet. Meat & Dairy is not healthy. It's not an outrageous claim and no I'm not going to do your research for you. I've invested years into finding the right lifestyle that works for me and done a lot of research into diet myself.

I personally eat 2500-3000 calories every single day for the past 6 weeks and my weight loss is currently at 16 pounds. I have a sedentary lifestyle as an author and walk 20 minutes a day weather permitting. So with little to no exercise I am losing weight. That isn't to say it's right for you, but if I was eating 2500-3000 calories of fat from animal products I most likely would be gaining weight, according to MFP I should be.

Please post scientific data that says fat calories are the "worst" and milk and meat are bad for you.

ETA: Please also post a study (not an anecdote) that shows us that 2500-3000 calories a day of a plant based diet makes you lose more weight than 2500-3000 calories of a diet that contains milk, meat and fat. I'd love to see it.