True or False? A Calorie is a Calorie is a Calorie.

Options

Replies

• NOW_is_my_time
    Options
    If a calorie is a calorie is a calorie, why are there people like Freelee (Youtube) who never gains weight even though she's like 110 lbs and eats 3-5k calories of fruit a day???
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    If a calorie is a calorie is a calorie, why are there people like Freelee (Youtube) who never gains weight even though she's like 110 lbs and eats 3-5k calories of fruit a day???

Activity level. She's a long distance cyclist.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    Well a calorie is a unit of measurement first off... it is the amount of energy released per unit mass of a given substance.

With that being said.... I will say that a dead calorie (such as those given by booze) have a very low energy value so are deemed to be "dead".

Fast burn calories with a lot of energy used up immediately (like a candy bar or fruit) have very High energy ratings... HOWEVER, its not the calorie that is the issue... it is the way that your body metabolizes and uses or stores the energy. These calories come from glucose... and will spike insulin levels... setting off a chain reaction of chemical changes in your body... If you dont burn this energy then it is converted and stored... AS FAT (potential future energy source).

Then you have slow burn calories which provide moderate to high energy values over a period of time typically not seen in the above mentions calorie sources... Examples of these calories come from carbs obtained in yams, brown rice and protein (yes protein has a caloric value)...

In the end dont read too much "opinion" material such as mine or anyone elses on here... Read factual scientific information and fully understand what is understood as fact by science about nutrition and health... then modify your diet and life based on that.

In the end no one on MFP or any other website has all of the information and the more you understand from experts the better off you will be. I am a living example of it.

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day... teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime" - JC

Sorry, by "JC" at the end of that quote, are you attributing that quote to...Jesus? Because that phrase most certainly did not come from the Bible.
    Yes, that is my only takeaway from that post. Haha

Strangely enough - me too! ;)

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/give-a-man-a-fish.html
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

Freelee has a self-declared eating disorder and major issues with food. She also works out constantly. She's a complete idiot who fat shames everyone, including people at a healthy weight. You can't possibly be serious?

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Oh and....

banana_despicable_me.gif
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I can eat 2300 a day and not gain maybe someday I can eat 2500 a day and not gain...

It's called exercise.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    well I see this thread has derailed into pseudo science and bro science..funny how these calorie threads always end up going that way ….
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    So, along these same lines, I tend to be under calories on days that I work out, and need to eat more in the evening to make up for my deficit I've created throughout the day. One thread on here suggested a spoonful of peanut butter or a protein shake, with an overwhelming suggestion to eat ice cream. What are your thoughts on this?
    create a thread for that topic and stop trying to derail this one...
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Really?
    Really????

The piece of trash freelee is well.....trash. And you should go have fun with that in the Freelee thread.

Freelee.....lol

Tell us how you really feel, don't hold back...

I think you are holding back here...seriously let it out.

We are here for you....:innocent:

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    I've lost 30 pounds in 77 days on paleo. Sure, I could have lost it any other way, but the point is I wasn't miserable. So, no, a calorie is not a calorie unless you enjoy agonizing over everything you put in your mouth and feeling deprived which is what OP is asking. I feel bad for all of you defending your crackers and tortillas but go ahead and eat what you want, it's not like that's what made you overweight in the first place.
    Did you gain 30 pounds in 77 days? Hmmm. . . . .I like your post though. Makes sense and I'll defend my Doritos a little later. And you shouldn't feel bad 'cause Paleo!!

I am not gonna defend Doritos (I do like them tho) and no they didn't make me fat...

But I will say this...I don't agonize over everything I put in my mouth and I don't feel the least bit deprived because I am not...I eat what I want when I want including dairy, carbs and other things that are not paleo and that doesn't stop me from losing weight...

Heck I just ate pumpkin pie, chicken fingers wrapped in tortillas with sour cream and cheese and avocado...next is my chocolate bar and diet coke.

How can you feel deprived on that?

If someone wants to do paleo have at but don't think that it's the best or think that a calorie isn't a calorie that's just well...silly.

Stef, the feeling bad 'cause Paleo was tongue in cheek. Doritos on the other hand if I can get them to fit, super. And Paleo is fine for someone, just not me 'cause I enjoy a variety of foods and restricting any one food(other then liver and onions) is silly. You cracked me up today with the crazy/hot grid. I'll sleep well with this in my head and maybe a Dorito or two in my stomach.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options

If you watch the videos they produce her RAW diet isn't weighed or measured just eyeballed. And she is a thin due to exercise. There is an 80-10-10 diet out there begging for MFP resurrection. Go for it!
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    @MrM27...I said "we" my fee is cookies not sure how much the others charge

@_Terrapin Yah doritoes are good...I prefer chocolate...Paleo is interesting..I have friends that do it but I like a variety in my life...couldn't do it. Glad you liked the grid....hehe it was in response to @MrM27 and not even sure if he saw it...hehe...

now to go get my chocolate bar and diet coke....then bed for me.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    @MrM27...I said "we" my fee is cookies not sure how much the others charge

MrM27 and not even sure if he saw it...hehe...

now to go get my chocolate bar and diet coke....then bed for me.
    Wait, what did I miss?
    @MrM27 you ask if a unicorn was a unicorn? I answered with a youtube video explaining what a unicorn was...back on page 4 I think
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Well a calorie is a unit of measurement first off... it is the amount of energy released per unit mass of a given substance.

With that being said.... I will say that a dead calorie (such as those given by booze) have a very low energy value so are deemed to be "dead".
    While the value of the energy may be "dead", unless it's metabolized completely, no other energy source (no matter how "clean" or "dirty" it is) will be utilized.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png