Lifestyle Tips for Improved Appearance? (Not Scale Related)

Options
Hi MFP! I'm standing up as a bridesmaid in a wedding in two weeks. I'm looking for your go-to diet and exercise tips to look my best.

I'm not necessarily looking to move the scale here. Just looking for lifestyle tips that can improve my appearance in this amount of time. (i.e. Ways to prevent bloating, foods that clear up the face, etc)

For example, I know that drinking lots of water and getting lots of sleep in the next few weeks will help me look more bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.

Do you have other tips like that? Hopefully other MFP users will find them useful as well!

Replies

• DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Raw honey face mask. Reduce your sodium intake, drink lots of water, limit refined carbs to reduce bloat.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    The more whole foods the better. Try to cut out added sugars and artificial sweeteners the week before the wedding if you have problems with your skin. They make me break out sometimes. Obv tons of fruit and veggies and stay hydrated :D
  • DjinnMarie
    Options
    Oh, if I have to attend a ball and wear a formal dress, I hit the planks super hard the day before. Instant corset. I may be sore, but I look fabulous.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    DjinnMarie wrote: »
    Raw honey face mask. Reduce your sodium intake, drink lots of water, limit refined carbs to reduce bloat.

This!

Also, I like to add coconut oil and sugar to my raw honey. Scrub in circles for a few minutes, let sit for a few more, and wash/wipe off.
  • anotherwarriorgirl
    anotherwarriorgirl Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks DjinnMarie and annette_15. This is exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking for. :)
  • anotherwarriorgirl
    anotherwarriorgirl Posts: 38 Member
    Options

This!

Also, I like to add coconut oil and sugar to my raw honey. Scrub in circles for a few minutes, let sit for a few more, and wash/wipe off.

Something like this? http://blog.poppysoap.com/2012/09/10/how-to-make-your-own-raw-honey-coconut-oil-face-mask/
  • DjinnMarie
    Options

This!

Something like this? http://blog.poppysoap.com/2012/09/10/how-to-make-your-own-raw-honey-coconut-oil-face-mask/

It has to be RAW honey. Check a health food store. It's thick like peanut butter and not really sticky at all.

I've never tried coconut oil, but pure emu oil (health food store) plumps your skin. Sugar or baking soda before the honey will exfoliate your face, making it brighter and help the honey do it's job. (Reduce redness and control acne)
  • CariJean64
    CariJean64 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is also great for the hair! Warm some between your hands, run your hands through your hair (mostly the ends), and shampoo about an hour later.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    CariJean64 wrote: »
    Coconut oil is also great for the hair! Warm some between your hands, run your hands through your hair (mostly the ends), and shampoo about an hour later.
    What exactly does this do for hair? Genuinely interested. :)
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Fish oil capsules! They'll make you healthy from the inside out. My nails and hair have never looked so good as they have now that I'm taking them, and my joints feel better too. Look for wild fish oil if you can find it, and don't worry about omega 9's. If it has omegas 3 and 6, together they make 9 so you don't need to worry about them.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Spanx. Seriously. If you've never had them, GET THEM! They smooth everything out. Only issues is some fabrics will show the lines near your knees if you get that type that stops at the knees. I love mine and I always feel more confident in dresses and skirts when I wear them.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Also. Take a shower at night and wash your hair (or at least wet it.) Add a deep conditioner and do NOT rinse. Get out, towel dry your hair and then (crazy part) wrap your hair and scalp in plastic wrap or use a shower cap and leave it on overnight. Wash as usual the next day. Doing that makes an incredible difference in how my hair looks and feels.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have a great hair stylist! Update your color (if you feel like it), deep condition..

Drink lots of water, moisturise your skin, stand up straight, smile, and be ready to have a great time with your friends!

I like taking some time in a sauna every once and a while to .. ahem.. sweat out the crap on my face.. lol

Makeup application, clean teeth (I don't suggest whitening though, that *kitten* burns!!)...

Confidence and being relaxed are #1 though!!
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Warning about some of the above, coconut oil doesn't work as a facial moisturizer for everyone! I tried it and it made my skin break out horribly!
  • nicoleromine
    nicoleromine Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is great for the hair - it will make it more smooth and shiny. I mix coconut oil and jojoba oil (50/50), rub into slightly dampened hair, put a plastic cap on, and wrap a warm towel around my head (a towel straight of the dryer will get it done). I let it set for 30-60 minutes (during which time I put a face mask on), and then take a shower. In the shower, I usually exfoliate with a mix of coconut oil and kosher salt and then moisturize with coconut oil. The next day both my hair and my skin are always amazing! Coconut oil is simply awesome.
  • lalawaterlala
    lalawaterlala Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    you can do an olive oil or mayo hair mask, theres tons if you google.
  • avoidtheclapp107
    avoidtheclapp107 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Brush your teeth with baking soda--they'll be so white and fabulous. Don't do it more than once a week though, my dentist said...
  • samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options
    Bring a less attractive date. :)
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options

This!

Yep :)
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Bare Minerals cosmetics has a product called "well rested". Use it around the eye to brighen the area. Makes a huge difference and since it's a loose powder, it also works to help set the liquid makeup around the eye without creating lines and creases.