Struggling with Maintenance

Options
2»

Replies

• kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    rusta wrote: »

...I do not want to count calories and weigh food for the rest of my life!! HELP!!!

Sorry, but for most people, myself included, keeping track of our intake is as important in maintenance as it was when we were losing weight.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    After maintaining for almost two years, logging usually tells me I should eat MORE. I like that. Besides, I'm a data junkie.
  • ianthy
    ianthy Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Logging is a small price to pay for staying at maintenance.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    rusta wrote: »
    I have tried the 'eyeballing' method. When i first stop weighing food - i am pretty accurate at judging the weight... but then about 2 or 3 months down the track, its like i have tricked myself into how much a portion actually is - and Im way over again.

This is where the "are the clothes tighter?" test comes in. You'll notice a slight tightening of clothes if you gain much more than about 5 lbs and this is your clue that your portion sizes are growing or that you're snacking too much.
    If this happens, start to weigh random portions again to see how close you are to a true portion, cut back a little on food and exercise an extra time or two over the week until your clothes fit right again. By then (usually a couple of weeks), you'll have a better idea (again) of how to eyeball a portion.
    Over time, you get a better feel for eyeballing and being diligent about what you're eating.
    I find that if I don't think about it, I can snack on junk quite a bit. So, if my clothes felt tight, I'd cut out the junk food for a few weeks, cut back on portion size (just a little) and go for an extra run or two. By watching my patterns, I've learned that its the junk food that sneaks back into my diet; by keeping an eye on that, I've been able to maintain pretty well (so far).