Over 40 - want to halt the middle age spread!

Options
fobs13
fobs13 Posts: 1,080 Member
I am 43 years old (fast approaching 44) and used to always be thin in my 20's and 30's. In my 40's have noticed a steady increase in my weight to a weight of 140 lbs which at 5 3 is too heavy for my frame.

Find I have to do more and eat a lot less to lose weight. Seemed to be able to eat pretty much as I liked in my 20's and 30's and was never overweight so dieting and counting calories is a new concept for me.

Would like any buddies of a similiar age or height willing to share what works for them.

At the moment walking is my excercise of choice since hurting my back earlier this year but as my back has healed think I need a more vigorous routine to get in shape!

Replies

• fobs13
    Options
    Bump. Have really good supportive friends added since first posting this but always looking for more likeminded friends.
  • brega2003
    Options
    Hello I am 44 years old and need to lose weight. We're the same height, but I'm a lot bigger. I was on weight watchers a year ago for three years and got bored. Before joining WW I was 211lbs. I lost 58lbs and felt great. Since April of last year I've gain 40 of those lbs. back. I purchased a Nutribullet, which is working wonders. I haven't weighed myself since my last doctor's visit, so I don't know how much I've lost. The Nutribullet is something you may want to try, I'm sure it will help you lose and maintain your weight. I wish I could say… I'm 140lbs!
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I had almost the same exact situation, except I was trying to lose weight a few months before my 38th birthday. I topped out at 140 and am 5'4". I started off by doing the net 1200 calorie diet thing. Also cut out diet soda (no idea if this helped, but it didn't hurt) and started taking vitamin D (also not sure if this helped, but I was told I was deficient). Weight started coming off really well. Then I injured my back a few months later and could barely do much of anything. I walked a lot though. Walking to and from work was 4 miles a day. Now it's 5 miles a day since I moved. I lost 39 pounds at my lowest. Now I'm up to 105.6 this morning. It's over 2 years later and I'm now 40 and am still the weight I was when I was in my early 20's. I upped my calories since then and don't track anymore, but still seem to keep it off. My back eventually got mostly better, but still not perfect. I still walk a lot. That might have something to do with it. not sure. I go to the gym twice a week and run 3 miles each time, but I can't imagine that's what's keeping it off because that's not much different from what I did when I was 140. never really got into weight lifting. I should do that, but kinda lazy.

Since I rarely track my food anymore, I might not be the best friend to add though, but similar situation.
  • fobs13
    Options
    brega2003 wrote: »
    Hello I am 44 years old and need to lose weight. We're the same height, but I'm a lot bigger. I was on weight watchers a year ago for three years and got bored. Before joining WW I was 211lbs. I lost 58lbs and felt great. Since April of last year I've gain 40 of those lbs. back. I purchased a Nutribullet, which is working wonders. I haven't weighed myself since my last doctor's visit, so I don't know how much I've lost. The Nutribullet is something you may want to try, I'm sure it will help you lose and maintain your weight. I wish I could say… I'm 140lbs!

Friend request sent.
  • Winston817
    Winston817 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Just turned 50 in August feel free to add for motivation.
  • fobs13
    Options
    Winston817 wrote: »
    Just turned 50 in August feel free to add for motivation.

Friend request sent.
  • focusedonfitness2015
    Options
    Hi! I am 44 and have experienced pretty much what you have. Found myself at 142 in June and decided I didnt like the way it looked on me. Just hit my goal weight of 125 last Friday!!! Feel free to add me if you'd like. I'm always on :)
  • NikiD2611
    NikiD2611 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! Going to be 42 in November, 5 ft 6 1/2. Never been small, 207.5 lbs at Slimming World tonight, however, is too far, even for me. Really want to be around 50 lbs lighter, with fitness and appearance to match! (Hope the Fairy Godmothers are listening!) So trying to increase my accountability and consistency of effort by joining here. Kicks up the bum will be required on a fairly regular basis, and I will do my best to receive them graciously, and return the favour if required. Thank you, and more power to your elbow!
  • Cori_Mac
    Cori_Mac Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm turning 40 next month and have been having difficulty losing weight. When I was younger, the pounds would fall off if I even thought about it. Now, I really have to work for that one pound. I'm 5'6 1/2" and currently around 177.. Please feel free to add me. :)
  • fobs13
    Options
    Friend requests sent to @cori_mac and @Nikid2611
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I turned 40 in June, I'm down 20lbs and feel good at 6' 200lbs but came on here to lose the last 10 lbs.
  • fobs13
    Options
    @redfisher1974 request sent.
  • fobs13
    Options
    I definitely need to make more effort for less results since turning 40 but find I feel great once I do get up off my backside and get moving!
  • Dumbbell69
    Dumbbell69 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I can help,feel free to add me.
  • Arch799
    Arch799 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    40s are the new 20s...
  • fobs13
    Options
    Arch799 wrote: »
    40s are the new 20s...

I hope so as loved my 20s lol.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    Hello & Welcome to MFP!

I'm 44 & 4'10" :#

I was the same way - I never had any issues with weight in my younger years - being in the military helped greatly. So it was a bit of a nasty shock to find myself SO overweight! :o The first set of baby weight just got compounded with the second and before I knew it I was LITERALLY a real life Oompa Loompa! LOL

And sadly being so short just doesn't provide a lot of wiggle room to hide extra weight. :s
  • fobs13
    Options
    Yes being shorter means less leeway on the overindulging.7lbs can make a huge difference either way.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    fobs13 wrote: »
    Yes being shorter means less leeway on the overindulging.7lbs can make a huge difference either way.

Indeed ... a bit of a bummer no? :)
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and started at 143 - I'm now 115 - look and feel a whole lot better! I'm 48 - and - yes, it is harder to take off the lbs as we age - but it's not impossible! This November will be a year that I've been on maintenance - yea!