My Journey So Far!

Options
morts22
morts22 Posts: 1 Member
Hard to believe it has been 3 short years since my journey started. And while there is still a way to go to reach my goal, I’d like to share my experiences so far.

To date I have lost 56kg and a hang of a lot of cms.

The biggest question I get is, what are you on?

I am not a fan of diets, meal replacements or pills. I decided that if I was going to do this it would have to be sustainable and not bankrupt me. So no miracle tablet, no short cut, no super diet. Just good old fashion healthy eating and active life style changes. This is what has worked for me.

This journey for me is a marathon, not a short distance sprint. From the off set I knew it was going to be challenging, but I also knew that it was going to be worth while. With the awesome support from family and friends, I have been able to keep moving forward.

Yes, there are bad days, when the evil Cookie Monster strikes without warning. But I have learned to take each day as it comes. There is no point feeling guilty and getting depressed when you slip off the wagon for a momentary indulgence. In truth, the odd ‘free’ day is probably what has helped me stay on track over the period. The key is that there is always tomorrow to get back on track. DON’T WAIT FOR MONDAY!

Exercise wise… well it all started with a bicycle. The first time I went out, any form of an incline would result in me having to get off and push. Persevere though, it does get easier.

Next came the swimming. It is somewhat amazing how fast a swimming routine together with healthy eating can transform your body. Of course, learning to curb the appetite that comes after a good swim session was a challenge in itself.

Lastly came the running… and it is still coming along. Not going to lie, I am not a fan, but the feeling you get after a nice run is somewhat addictive.

The last 3 years has seen many firsts for me.

My First 100km + cycle race, my first 90km + Mtb race, my first Ocean Swim, my First 10km + run, my first triathlon.

Next up will be my first Half Ironman in January 2015.

Nervous as hell, with moments of ‘goodness what have I gotten myself into’, but on the whole rather excited to give it a try.

To all those who have offered support, encouragement and love over this period I thank you all. You guys Rock!

Lastly, some points that have served me well over the years:

1.)Carbs are not your enemy, too much of the wrong carbs are. Instead focus on cutting out sugar.
2.)You have to do this for yourself. In your time, when you are ready.
3.)Don’t be discouraged by other people loosing weight faster than you. Once again, each in their own time. Think tortoise and the hare. Slow and steady wins the race. You are doing this for you after all.
4.)People might not recognize you after a while. This is a good thing I thing.
5.)Bad days happen.
6.)MyFitnesspal.com is a great tool to keep track of just how much you are eating
7.)Surround yourself with loving, encouraging people.
8.)Nothing feels better than watching the sunrise from your bike.
9.)Don’t listen to the voice in your head that says you can’t… It is a liar, you are much stronger than you think you are.
10.)You Can Do It!

h788r26e75jx.png
z13q94u6pjig.png

Replies

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!