Running + Stray Dogs

Options

Replies

• jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I do the same with leashed and unleashed dogs because I too have dog owners not be able to restain (or want to restrain)
    their animals

Remove ear buds I can hear if the dog is growling
    As I get closer walk past them
    Another Runner in my neighborhood just got bit by someones dog as she ran by it was unleashed and left the driveway and chased her.

I do the same thing most everyone else does I yell no at the dog if the owner isn't with it most dogs
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    The ones you have to be wary of are the stealth dogs. These are the ones that come from behind without making any noise.

A few years ago I was running before the sun came up and was listening to an ipod. Suddenly I felt two large paws on my shoulders and a wet nose in my ear. It was a stealth dog. After I got over my shock and got him off my back he ran with me for the next three miles. He finally got tired of it and left. I hope he found his way home again.

When I lived out in the country, I was running past the neighboring farm when I heard a step on gravel behind me. I turned and there was a rottweiler and two other large dogs coming up on me quiet. If I had an ipod then, it might have been my last run. As it was, I turned and faced them and tried to be intimidating but they took a bit of convincing. The owner was calling for them, but they weren't that well trained.

Happier story: When I ran in the north GA hills, I always had trouble with stray dogs (never as scary as that rottweiler). One day, though, someone's blue tick coon hound came out at me, but was totally friendly. After some petting I started running again and he joined me. He probably did 5 or 6 miles with me and whenever a dog would come out at me he would chase them back into their yard and then catch up to me. When we got home, I checked his collar and found his tag and his owner came and picked him up
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    When I used to jog around the neighborhood, there was a HUGE dog who was sitting very quietly in the back of his corner-lot yard when I ran down his street. It was a dead end, I was exploring, so I looped around... and when I ran past him again, he was waiting quietly (I'd forgotten he was there) ... I jogged past him ... he ran parallel to the chain-link fence so it sounded like he was coming up from behind me ... he had it timed so that he jumped up on the fence and rattled it WHAM just as I was turning the corner.

He never made a sound, just stood there, taller than I am, leaning against the fence, grinning at me. I had jumped about a foot in the air and I swear he just looked at me like, "haha, gotcha!" I ended up laughing pretty hard but it was still pretty scary.

Never did run that way again.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I work in a dog training facility & have foster countless number of dogs. The best thing to do if they are very close to you is to slow down and stop running and act like a tree. DO NOT MAKE EYE CONTACT with the dog as that is a threat to them, do not bend over the top of them, allow them to smell you if they so choose but ignore them until they move on. Having something to put between you and the dog such as a tree or object will also be helpful. Once you know if the dog is going to be friendly you can start to walk away don't just start running again or they will play chase.

If you want to feel safer yes have a small stick that you can hold out for them to bite on, or carry some treats in your pocket and throw them away from you as if they are really a lost dog food is beneficial, however in most cases "Strays' or lost dogs rarely want human interaction as they are in flight or fight mode and by fight I don't mean run after a person for no reason.

My dogs will bark and run at anyone that comes into my driveway / yard but once they get a smell they lose interest unless it's my lab then he'll bring you his ball to throw for him.

I hope everyone reads this and pays attention. Some advice is better than others, and when it comes from a knowledgeable person, it's the best.

I suppose I should've stated that I've been training dogs full time for 10 years, and have trained over 1500 dogs, (countless aggressive dogs), to have my comment taken seriously. :laugh:

Here ya go!

awesome.jpg
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    After a local woman was attached 2 doors away from my house on a high speed rural hwy, I now take an aggressive approach. I pay super close attention to any noise from any dog, and stop. I wait until I can make some type of eye contact. I generally have grabbed rock or something to throw. I take a strong stance, and use a strong voice. If none of that works, I always have a bullet in the chamber of my gun and would not be worried about shooting if necessary.
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Small yappy dogs are why I got the steel-toe spike add-on for my Vibrams.

I think I love you.

As for me, I am not an animal lover. It's mostly owners of animals that think they are entitled that causes that reaction in me; I especially dislike people who walk their dogs on a leash on a public path and then allow the leash to cross over the entire running/bike path so no one can get around them. I yell at those people when I come up from behind and startle them on purpose. Why? Because if you're rude enough to let your dog all over the place on a public path, you clearly need a "wake up". I've never come at them from the front and had anyone not yank their dog back--but still. As for dogs running up to me, it has only happened once and the dog was growling. I yelled at it "don't even thin about it" and kept running. It did not follow me. That said, I have no compunction about slapping down a threatening animal if it's between me being hurt or it being hurt. Yep. I'm cold hearted.

That said, I'm no contender and I can see being very hurt by a rottweiler or other such type dog. It happens all the time and we read about it in the news. Thus, in my eyes, all dogs are a threat and I treat them all warily.
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    Options
    You can't simply "Dog Whisper" your way out of an altercation with a stray or loose dog. This is what has worked for me over the years.

1. If they're barking from a distance, and not approaching me, I just keep an eye on them and keep moving.
    2. If they are coming at me, I slow to a walk, then immediately pick up a few rocks just in case it comes down to throwing something.
    3. If after #2 they are still coming at me, I'll turn towards them, flare my arms out, and as I walk towards them, start barking the word "NO!". Most loose dogs are only bluffing, and don't want to actually engage a threatening person. If they are going to bite, it will likely be from behind as you run away (you triggered their prey drive).

I've never had to throw a rock, and have some dogs get within 20 feet of me when I called their bluff, before they start to back off.

I've also never changed my route because of that one dog that runs off the porch at me. In those cases, I just crossed the street ahead of that house to buy me more space between them.

Awesome advice, totally agree!

I usually run with my dog and if there's a dog off their leash, I will stop and make my dog sit. Most of the time, the dog is just wanting to check her out (she's quite the flirt), and she needs socialization anyway. I'll run in the road with Nani, so the less I have to take the dog away from its home and further into the road the better. Plus, I would rather deal with an altercation between the dogs than be running and be chased and possibly attacked in the process.

Never had to deal with a stray chasing me, though. Unless they're showing signs of aggression, I probably would act the same way. They're just there to check us out and move on. Though, it may be an extra added workout being chased by a pooch, though! :p
  • Ellezums
    Ellezums Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I hate loose dogs interrupting my workout! Keep your dogs put up! I'm tired if stupid things like loose dogs keeping me from maximizing my workout!! I'm irritated that I now am considering spending money for a gym when I pay money for rent in neighborhood in which I should be able to walk/run for free. If a loose dog runs up on me, I'm drenching it in pepper spray.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Theres this compressed air stuff called pet corrector that causes dogs to back up
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I carry wasp spray. Big range and will deter a dog from chasing me. I would only use it if the dog was acting aggressively since it can cause real damage.
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Pepper spray in the face and they never bother you again! Been there done that!
  • LazyCatPame
    LazyCatPame Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I show them my hands as in saying "I'm not a threat guys" while slowing down and smiling. It makes them just look at me confused and some even get all happy around me. Sounds kinda silly, but it does the trick. I did have an issue the other day, but I didn't even see the dog coming, like... I got bitten out of nowhere (nothing serious, the poor thing was just bluffing)
  • Pupslice
    Pupslice Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I see 2 possible ways of looking at this problem.

1) You could use this as motivation. Run faster so the dogs won't get you.

2) You could learn how to tame the rabid dogs. Learn the thing from the Crocodile Dundee movie, in the scene where he makes a water buffalo move. I think spending some time with aborigines is a good place to start.

lololol
  • shifterbrainz
    shifterbrainz Posts: 245 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    http://tinyurl.com/qhplzvx Happened in our area this summer. Carrying a small stick, treats, and thinking you can "scare" off a real attack sounds a little foolhardy to me. Serious stuff!
  • Fit_Happens_2021
    Fit_Happens_2021 Posts: 303 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    OMG that is so shocking and sad!
    Just tonight I had to back up and head home when my path was blocked by a dog with no owner. They really scare me.
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I yell at the owners. I live in the city (leash law) and if their dog starts chasing me (and my dog who is on a leash) then they are going to hear about it. I hate irresponsible owners. On top of chasing people, it could get hit by a car too.
  • lindainprogress
    lindainprogress Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    Nothing major with any dogs...but I did have a scary encounter with a flock of turkeys one near-dawn run. I went from "wow, look at all those turkeys up ahead" to "they're heading straight for me!" to "ZOMGWTFBBQ I'M BEING CHASED BY TURKEYS!!!111!1!".

I wish turkey owners were are responsible as most dog owners. =\

I found myself running from a praire dog once. not my proudest moment for sure!

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Not long ago I was attacked (almost) by a pit bull.

I've been charged by barking dogs before. The best approach is always to stand tall and be still. Don't act threatening but don't run or turn your back either. The barkers are usually just posturing. They get to a certain distance, stop, bark for a while and eventually decide to back down/let you go. At that point it's best to calmly and carefully go back the way you came.

This dog wasn't posturing. He barked only once as he came out of the garage but then came quickly (though not a full run) and quietly. He didn't slow down by ten feet away so I knew he was coming in all the way for a fight.
    As he got up to me we both started vying for position. We danced around each other as he looked for a chance to lunge and I looked for a chance to punch him between the eyes as hard as I could. I didn't want to swing too early or miss and just make him more determined or leave myself more vulnerable.
    I could hear his growls over my headphones and just as his shoulders went down for the lunge and his mouth began to open for the bite (less than a foot from me at this point), I prepared to take my last good opportunity to hit him. But then, all of a sudden, instead of lunging, he tucked his head and ran back up the driveway. I looked up and saw the owner on the porch and the dog cowering down at his feet (tells me he obviously disciplines the dog with far too heavy a hand which is probably why it's so aggressive). Apparently he came out and called the dog back just in time (God's grace, that was). Then I realized I was still standing there with a clenched fist poised to strike. I gave the owner a quick wave and went on my way.

Since then, I never run without something to protect myself. I prefer to carry pepper spray for the dogs as I'm a dog lover and would rather not injure one if I can avoid it. However, I also often have a 3-4' pocket knife for in case the dog is crazed enough to charge again after the pepper spray.

That said, I have a lightweight pocket .380 pistol to carry while I run. This is moreso for the two legged variety of attackers though.
  • slakkmichael
    Options
    I run with my Aussie and one Saturday some lady started screaming about 25 feet from me to *keep my pitbull away from her.* My big fluffy Australian Shepherd on a leash was cowering as she started waving a stick at us. I told her if she did not stop waving the stick at us I was going to take it from her.

She kept screeching about how she hated dogs and I said well if you act like this no wonder you are afraid of getting bit. She was lucky my dog is very social - she scared him to pieces. The moral of the story is ignore a dog if you don't want attention. If you are going to act crazy you acan scare a dog into biting you.

Oh and the other moral is not all dogs are pit bulls and most pit bulls are friendly than the jogging banshee.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Enginette wrote: »
    Question for those animal-loving runners out there...how do you handle dogs that are barking and running up to you? Do you keep running and ignore or do you stop?

I love dogs and don't think I could carry a stick to fend a dog off, but I have felt threatened on more than one occassion and wanted to know if anyone had any tips.
    If I'm approached by an aggressive dog, I get more aggressive. Usually, I make friends with any dog, but every now and then, a bad one needs and gets the bite of the viper.