Who has had to completely give up alcohol for weight loss?

Options

Replies

• radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    KKishaA wrote: »
    Have any of you had to stop drinking alcohol completely to reach your fitness goal? If so, how did that change your social life - if at all?

Originally I only drank over the weekends. Then I reduced it to one night only. Now I see I can not have it at all. The wine its self is an issue (its so calorically dense) but the other issue is the food choices I make afterwards. Ill find my self snacking on everything in the cupboard/fridge making pretty gross combinations of things or buying ice cream/cheesecake, ect on the way home. Basically I engage binge behavior. It takes all week for my body to look and feel the way it did before I had my night out - and then it is time to go out again. It feels like being on a hamster wheel!
    Interestingly enough, I don't actually like the feeling of being intoxicated that much and yet I am still drinking in social situations.

I am curious how everyone else has gotten around this.

I tried and failed. I incorporate moderate amounts of alcohol.

• DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    sodeelish wrote: »
    Never! Don't drink because it's a certain time of day or day of the week. Have a drink when you feel like you really need one.

I disagree. Drink when you want one, not when you NEED one. Drinking when you need it sets you up for bad coping habits.

With that said, I have wine every night with dinner. Dinner isn't dinner without wine.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    KKishaA wrote: »
    Have any of you had to stop drinking alcohol completely to reach your fitness goal? If so, how did that change your social life - if at all?

Originally I only drank over the weekends. Then I reduced it to one night only. Now I see I can not have it at all. The wine its self is an issue (its so calorically dense) but the other issue is the food choices I make afterwards. Ill find my self snacking on everything in the cupboard/fridge making pretty gross combinations of things or buying ice cream/cheesecake, ect on the way home. Basically I engage binge behavior. It takes all week for my body to look and feel the way it did before I had my night out - and then it is time to go out again. It feels like being on a hamster wheel!
    Interestingly enough, I don't actually like the feeling of being intoxicated that much and yet I am still drinking in social situations.

I am curious how everyone else has gotten around this.

i stopped completely and it really hasn't helped me at all. i thought i would lose alot of weight, but i haven't. i am very strict with my diet and exercise, but i am pretty much where i was a month ago when i quit drinking.

my husband and i used to have a drinking night where we would have snacks and mixed drinks and watch our favorite shows. we will start doing that again soon because i see no benefit of stopping!

• Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I have stopped putting wine into tomato sauce, and make coq au vin or my sichuan sauce with dry sherry very seldom. Maybe it will change once I get into maintenance. I don't believe in total deprivation, because we're human and need some treats once in a while:) But right now, I just never can fit alcohol into my kcal budget.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Paige682 wrote: »
    earlyxer wrote: »
    "Who has had to completely give up alcohol for weight loss?" - anyone who wants to succeed.

That is complete and utter B.S.

For real. And succeed at what? Certainly not at being awesome.
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I also make terrible food choices when I drink... the last weekend I decided to indulge, I ate honey from a teaspoon (and friends, that was just a couple glasses of white wine, not an alcoholic stupor!). I've curtailed my drinking severely because I know it's a big part of how I got to be 30 pounds over my ideal weight... I'm just too careless and lazy to be able to handle it very often. I used to have a couple glasses of wine every night; within two years I was up 30 pounds and not very happy about it. Now I like a little saki (which goes TERRIBLE with honey!) on a Saturday night now and then while streaming a movie... that's about it.
  • SamanthaKersul
    SamanthaKersul Posts: 13 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I definitely don't drink as often as I used to and - honestly - I feel much better. I will have a cocktail with friends, or an occasional glass of wine with dinner, but alcohol in general is so bad for my body and counter-productive to the goals I'm trying to reach. I drank plenty for years and now I'm getting healthy. Life is about moderation, right? Enjoy when appropriate but moderate your intake. So much research links excessive drinking with obesity and many other health issues so why take that into your body all the time anyway? I work out daily and my workouts are never as good the day after. Just not worth it.
    -
    Another side note is that if you really want a glass of wine with dinner - or it's a special occasion with friends, have one! Life should be enjoyed. Just maybe trade out another treat. In other words, don't have the chocolate cake and 2 glasses of wine and coffee with cream and sugar. {That triple threat used to be my favorite when I would go out to dinner!}

My friends know what I'm trying to accomplish and thankfully are all supportive. They don't "pressure" me to drink because we are adults and they care about me. On the other hand, I don't want to constantly annoy everybody by talking about it. If you aren't drinking, don't drink, but don't draw attention to it either. Have some sparkling water with lime or lemon. Enjoy and have fun and reach your goals all at the same time! :)
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I definitely don't drink as often as I used to and - honestly - I feel much better. I will have a cocktail with friends, or an occasional glass of wine with dinner, but alcohol in general is so bad for my body and counter-productive to the goals I'm trying to reach. I drank plenty for years and now I'm getting healthy. Life is about moderation, right? Enjoy when appropriate but moderate your intake. So much research links excessive drinking with obesity and many other health issues so why take that into your body all the time anyway? I work out daily and my workouts are never as good the day after. Just not worth it.

A glass a day keeps the doctor away!
  • ItsJordanNicole
    ItsJordanNicole Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I recently gave up drinking for a month. It wasn't hard but I also noticed it wasn't really worth it. I didn't see too much of a difference in my weight loss, and I def saw a difference in my mood because I had to either put my social life on pause or be the sober person surrounded by drunks...ugh. I plan to break my sober streak this weekend.
  • dispatcher939
    dispatcher939 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I had to give up beer and any alcohol that has wheat, rye,barley, malt or malt flavoring in it( just to name a few) because I have Celiac Disease. I will drink but it is very rare for me to do so because it is not easy to find something tasty and gluten free to drink. Not drinking has not effected my weight loss either way,but it has opened up my calories for real food instead of liquid food.
    Giving up drinking has not made an impact on my social life other than I get free tanks of gas for being the DD.
  • kbeloved
    kbeloved Posts: 67 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I drink...kind of a lot. At least 4-5 times a month. I'm just very diligent about logging my calories. Beer is usually the problem because it's pretty dense in calories, but if I'm going out with friends I will drink Kamikazes because they're pretty low in calories and i'll even ask them to add club soda to make the drink last longer...around 100-150 depending. It's just vodka, triple sec & sweetened lime juice. One thing I do notice is that I definitely retain water after drinking binges and will plateau, even up to a week sometimes. HOWEVER, this last time I drank almost an entire bottle of smirnoff to myself and did not retain water or even have a hangover! This is because I made to sure fit it in my calories for the day, eat right before AND most importantly....drank LOTS water the entire day. :]
  • Kellyfitness128
    Kellyfitness128 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Paige682 wrote: »
    I will give up my wine and beer when someone pries it out of my cold, dead hands.

Bahaha, SAME. Beer is my greatest struggle. It's takes SO MUCH self control for me to not eat after a night out drinking. And a night out drinking is usually about 5 drinks. I usually get down to my post-night out weight in about 3 days, but clearly it's really putting a damper on my progress.

However, if I don't eat after I get home from drinking and I manage not to eat fatty foods the next day from a hangover, I feel that it doesn't really have much of an effect on my weight. So, for me that's the key..... drink if I want to, but don't eat after and keep within my calorie range the next day!
  • Kellyfitness128
    Kellyfitness128 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I also have to say how frustrating it is that I have so many skinny friends who drink a lot, both guys and girls. It does seem like they don't eat nearly as much as I do so once again, I think it's about the food calories much more so than the alcohol calories.
  • brandyshopperj21
    brandyshopperj21 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking for a month so I could really focus on my fitness and weight loss and managed to lose a significant amount of weight. Unfortunately I work in events and social drinking goes with the territory, or I would have kept it up.

Intry to limit it to work events or special occasions but it definitely can affect short term weight loss goals. Your blood sugar is up and down which leads to binge eating for me. I try to have healthy snacks around like veggies, seaweed snacks or edamame for salt cravings around next day. Or I try to work out a bit harder if I know I am going out that night.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I was never a huge drinker, and even when I did drink I was the ultimate lightweight. The medication I'm on doesn't allow alcohol.

It doesn't mean I don't go out, I do. And I order a diet drink. And I get them to put it in the same glass they put the rye and coke etc. in. That way I can nurse it and not feel like I'm on display. I also get to laugh at the silly drunks.

My family has a lot of alcoholics and that always made me leery of "needing" a drink. Nobody NEEDS a drink. (No, I'm not saying you're all alcoholics :smile: )
  • wmcmurray61
    wmcmurray61 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I gave up booze years ago but I will never quit my herbal indulgence. My challenge is the munchies!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I did my full body building prep while still drinking occasionally.

The day before was the best. Had to cut water weight. No food, just scotch. I wish I was a lightweight but no matter how infrequently I drink, I still need a fair bit to get a buzz. Maybe it's an Aussie thing :stuck_out_tongue:

I now just have a glass or 2 of wine with dinner. Yes there are possible health benefits but mainly I just like the taste and it helps me sleep well.
  • mhlew
    mhlew Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    The problem with weight and alcohol for me is not the alcohol, but the choices I make that go a long with it for example, pizza at 1 am, or greasy hang over food the next day.

I don't think I can quit drinking cold turkey just yet, but I have cut back how often I drink and the amount I drink. This seems to help if you can not give up alcohol all together.
  • KKishaA
    KKishaA Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Looks like a lot of people feel the same way. I dont have a problem fitting alcohol into my calories, its just that alcohol influences my choices in a negative way afterwards plus it takes too long to recover. At this point I'm too close to goal to want to mess round with being side tracked by drinks. I don't want to take 6 months to lose my last few pounds.