You would weigh (fill in the blank) in 5 weeks if everyday were like today...

Options
Is this result even close for anybody? It is not for me but it's motivating though.

Replies

• fobs13
    fobs13 Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    Not sure yet as have not been on here,long enough. Hope it is though! Want it to be true.
  • chalk_and_chaturangas
    Options
    I doubt it. It's kinda cool to see, but I also know that I'm building muscle at the same time as losing fat, so this calculation won't be accurate.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I stopped hitting complete most days because it's so far off usually.
  • lilmisfit1987
    lilmisfit1987 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    It is 100% accurate? No...but it's 100% motivating! I love seeing those numbers!
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I don't do weekly meal planning so not accurate at all :) I don't even hit the complete button nowadays.
  • mz_getskinny
    mz_getskinny Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I've actually been making note of the weight it gives on my calendar. So far I don't think it's accurate lol unless I'm going to start having some drastic drops very soon!

Also not all days are exactly the same for me...maybe later I'll experiment and eat the exact same foods for 35 days hahaha yeah maybe not...
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Is this result even close for anybody? It is not for me but it's motivating though.

Nope. Cause every day is different, and it's only a prediction based on exactly what you did that day. But I agree, it is motivating!
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    it's off by two to three weeks easily.

for me it is anyways. I tend to drop about 5 to 7 pounds a month. It's off by 3 to 5 pounds. It does show you you will be thinner by the end of those five weeks even if it's only five pounds lighter. It's still progress..
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I love seeing it but haven't tracked what it says vs. what I weigh 5 weeks later! It feels like a great little peek into the future though!
  • beccaheiser
    beccaheiser Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I love seeing that message! It gives me hope, even if it's time estimate is wrong. At some point in my journey, I will weigh that much. That's inspiring enough!
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I love seeing that message! It gives me hope, even if it's time estimate is wrong. At some point in my journey, I will weigh that much. That's inspiring enough!

+1
  • U2R2
    U2R2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    It kind of drives home the point of how even small efforts can amount to a large difference over time. A few calories or minutes of exercise from one day to the next will affect a large fluctuation in the estimated weight.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options

I love seeing it on the days I have a huge exercise burn and I'm under on my calories. ;)
    Sure I'd weigh "...." in 5 weeks if I did this EVERY DAY, but alas, I'm not going to burn 1000+ calories every day.

• rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    If I eat badly, seeing what I would weigh in 5 weeks if I continue to eat that way motivates me to stay on track. But I've been on MFP since January, and I have been eating well most of the time, and I have never seen the level of losses that it predicts. If the predictions were correct, I'd be around 112 lbs. by now.
  • frisco111
    frisco111 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It is accurate for me. I have been here for 9 months and had few slow periods but I had average loss of 3 - 3.5 kg a month.
  • EvelineUK
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    If I eat badly, seeing what I would weigh in 5 weeks if I continue to eat that way motivates me to stay on track.

This!
    I do however stick a little note in my planner with the weight MFP says I should be, just to see how far off I am. If it's a lot, it will kick me back on track, too.

• barbz2119
    barbz2119 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    When I go over my calorie goal and see those figures it helps me get back on track, and when I stay under it motivates me to keep trying. Not accurate, but I definitely find it motivating.

• EmotionalEater84
    EmotionalEater84 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Nope, doesn't work for me either.. lol! But, I agree, is very motivating! XD
  • lyrical_melody
    lyrical_melody Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I dont know if its accurate...but it motivates me to eat right and not go over my calorie because I *could* be that in just 5 weeks! :)
  • nickysbt
    Options
    It's a basic math calculation. "We've estimated your basic caloric needs to be X. You have eaten Y calories below X. Therefore if you eat this exact same number of calories every day for the next five weeks you will have eaten 35Y calories less than your body used for fuel. Divide 35Y by 3500 to see that you'll have lost Z pounds."

The reason it's not accurate at the end of those five weeks is that even if MFP has estimated your calorie needs properly very few people have the exact same level of physical activity and caloric intake every single day for five straight weeks. You'll eat 1495 one day, 1510 the next, be sick for a week and average 1300, have a birthday party and jump up to 2000, etc.

Personally, I don't pay much attention to it. My goal is small enough that hitting it a couple of weeks later doesn't bother me. I also find that it makes me feel guilty if I've gone slightly over and I see no reason to encourage that feeling. There's too high a rate of eating disorders in my family for me to play around with food and guilt.