Call me vain, but I want to brag!!!

Options
So I've been trying to be more healthy for a few years now. I lose, then gain some back, lose again, gain again, you know the drill. Right now I'm certainly on a great losing streak. I've been running. Last year my husband and I signed up for a half marathon as our first ever run. Hey if you're gonna do it, do it big, right? So we finished in just under 2:15. Not too shabby. Then winter came and we hibernated. I gained back almost everything! So we signed up for another half marathon next month. We've been training harder than ever. I've lost almost all the weight again. I'm finally down to a healthy BMI. This time we're going to make sure to have another half marathon paid for waiting in the wings to prevent us from hibernating again.

So that is the back story. This is the brag. Last weekend we decided to take the kids and mother in law for a run. There was a local 5/10K that was giving out medals to all finishers, and my 5 year old was wanting his own medal so bad. My 5 year old, 13 year old, and mother in law ran the 5K. My 5 year old was the youngest registered runner! He absolutely loved it. He said he wanted to go to every race with us and get more medals than us. I think I created a monster :smile:

My husband and I ran the 10K. Our goal was to run the 10K in under 60 minutes. We started so fast, we've never run like that before. The first mile when my app said our split it was 8minutes and 45 seconds. We were floored. The next mile was 8:35, the next was 8:45 again. At that point my husband kept going a little faster than me. We ended up finishing 14th, and 17th place out of every person at the race! In my bracket (30-39 year old women) I was 4th place. My husband was 3rd.

We were not runners. Like ever. I had never been in sports as a kid. We started out with the couch 2 5K app. I couldn't run for 30 seconds without feeling like I was going to die. I am not hardcore. I don't like pain. I'm a total wimp. I know for a fact that if I am capable of these amazing feats, that anyone is capable. I truly enjoy running now. I ran ten miles yesterday and felt amazing. I'm enjoying catching a glimpse of myself in the mirror. I'm starting to like the way I look in running clothes. And my husband keeps telling me he likes the look of me in my running pants, and I love hearing that. Thanks for letting me brag, and I hope that this can help someone else realize that they can do it too!

Replies