Running Question

Options
So I've been doing the C25K on a treadmill for the past month and have been making really good progress, I can run for 20 minutes at 5.5 speed farely easily now (this is good progress for me!). However, I decided yesterday that I should start getting used to running outside. I ran 2.2 miles in 24 minutes and thought I was going to DIE! It was much harder than the treadmill. Is this because my body just isn't used to running outside? Should there be that big of a difference from the treadmill? I also am feeling really fatigued today and I'm wondering if it's the running yesterday or if I'm sick or something. Just looking for opinions...please :)

Replies

• nab22
    nab22 Posts: 168
    Options
    It is harder because the ground is uneven so you use different muscles than the treadmill, but I would say your experience sounds about right. If you've only been running 20 minutes inside, and ran about the same outside, it should be harder! It could also be your food yesterday, if you were tired, etc., that all combined to make it hard on you though.
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Nope. Sounds about right to me. Running outside is a totally different beast than on a treadmill. A lot more factors are involved.

Back in college I ran on a threadmill for 3 miles, 3 times a week. I could barely do 1.5 miles outside on the track.

Keep working on running outside if you can.
  • Plumpqt
    Plumpqt Posts: 156
    Options
    I think having the ground move under you is a lot different than moving yourself on the ground, thats all i can see anyway
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Welcome to my world! :) LOL Yes, there is a HUGE difference between outdoors and the treadmill. The biggest being that on our treadmills, the motor is propelling the belt and all we have to do is keep up. Have you ever tried a treadmill without the motor? LOL Crazy how it's so much more work. And when we're outside, we have to propel ourselves forward, and sometimes up and down hills and against or with the wind. Plus, it's harder (at least for me) to keep a constant pace,so that increases the contrast as well.

But do go outside and run if you can. It gives one a whole new sense of accomplishment and nature is a wonderful distraction!
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    my friend (triathlete) explained to me that you use different (and more) muscles running outside...and if there is any wind that makes a difference...and the terrain (hills, even if you did not think there were hills, no route is ever completely flat).

-->> on the treadmill, you are keeping up with a moving ground
    -->> outside you are pushing yourself forward

I have been told by other people to put the tread mill at a 1% (or 2%) incline to try to prepare myself for running outside
  • liveinbliss
    liveinbliss Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Running outside has a lot more variables then on the treadmill, wind, slight changes in incline that you don't even realize, uneven terrain, all things that make you work harder then the treadmill. It also more difficult to gage your pace outside so you may be going slightly faster then on the treadmill. I always go faster outside because I'm afraid someone will see me and think I'm running to slow...I know it's stupid but I can't help it :) I am always amazed after a couple of runs outside how much easier the treadmill feels!
  • Jentorres8814
    Jentorres8814 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I wish I had answers for you ! I just started my C25K training yesterday and its all outside. I did though ask the trainer if she thought it was ok to do our "homework" on the treadmill instead of actually running outside and she said not to. Something about being stationary on the machine and being outside you don't get that natural resistance from the ground. I'm a new runner so your question is one I'd like to know as well !!!
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    For some people there is a huge difference in running on a treadmill vs outside. For me I was able to run 2 miles easy on the treadmill (incline of 1-2) but couldn't even do 1/2mile outside when I first started!. so now if I can't run outside I run on an indoor track...

treadmills are very flat (unless you vary your incline throughout the work out) and they also help you glide your feet when running making it easier. plus you don't get the wind resistance you can outside.

Outside you get uneven ground/paths/hills etc. wind and heat/cold play a big role to especially with breathing. you also have to propel your own body weight against the pavement/path etc no additional help from a moving belt.

with all that said I prefer running outside since when you run races it will be outside. I hate the dreadmill (not a typo LOL) and suggest if you must run inside find a track.
  • sammyk1975
    sammyk1975 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The weather conditions can also have an effect, even if there is the slightest breeze it can take your breath away and is harder if you are running against it!
    Keep it up x
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    There's a big difference - a treadmill doesn't have any terrain (and you should probably be doing it on at least a 1.0 incline); a treadmill also lets you have "speed maintenance" that holds you at a certain speed - when you are running free, you dictate that pace (learning regulation takes a while)... and lastly - weather. Running inside is a controlled environment. Outside, you are getting less recycled air, and more humidity, etc.

But believe me... once you start running outside in nice weather, you won't want to go back to the treadmill.

Good luck on the first 5k
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    im not sure if you know this but there's a treadmill version on c25k.
    i found it this morning thought it might be useful for anyone who didnt know about it
    http://www.c25k.com/c25k_treadmill.html
    its much easier to follow with the timings
  • irishgal44
    irishgal44 Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Everyone is right - and just an add on, it doesn't take very long to get used to it -give it a good week or 2 and you will be running at the same time/pace as on your tread and not noticing much of a difference after awhile. Just takes some time for your body to adjust. Every year when the weather gets better and I take it to the pavement it is an eye opener. :)

Have fun!
  • keepsiejess
    keepsiejess Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I think i have read some articles online about this. You should google it!
    Many people train outside in the fair weathered months, and switch to a treadmill in the winter. There are inclina adjustments that can help you make the transition outside.
    im in week 6 of C25k!! just stick with it and good luck!!
  • CharmingCherry
    Options
    Running outside, you have different terrains to contend with and you may adjust your speed in comparison to on the treadmill. Well done for making the transition. I always find that if you push through the first few times, it does get easier.
  • hsavas
    hsavas Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    running outside is quite different than on a treadmill because the ground isn't doing part of the work for you. some people (myself included) find running outside goes quicker because there are more diversions from just staring down at how much longer until you're done, plus there is fresh air to feed your lungs and brain...more to look at keeps your mind occupied. but the resistance is going to be increased when running outside because of the lack of the belt movement below your feet. http://running.about.com/od/treadmillrunning/f/treadmillrun.htm
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I just had the same crappy experience. As it is coming to summer I am trying to run outdoors versus elip and tread. After 2.5 miles outside I thought my calves were going to explode and my A tendons were ultra sore. I have kept working at increasing the outdoor running and now can pull 5 mi with a lot less pain.

I just think its the terrain and also the impact is increased compared to tread which absorbs a lil of the impact.

Keep at it and you will be fine. :glasses:
  • alynnbennett
    Options
    Running outside is so much better than the treadmill in my opinion. The ground is not level outside so it gives your workout a variation and works more muscles than the treadmill. Also on the treadmill if you don't do a 1.0 incline that its kind of like running down hill. I would stick with running outside, my Doctor told me it's better on your knees also because the ground gives a little as the treadmill doesn't. Good luck!!
    C25K is a GREAT program!!
  • Mamapengu
    Mamapengu Posts: 250
    Options
    You can also 'prepare' to run outside by putting your treadmill at a 1% grade- that mimics the increased effort needed to run on a flat surface. Running outside also requires that you keep your balance as you navigate curbs, pot holes, grass lumps...even if you find a flat course, so it takes more from your whole body. You'll probably really like it- don't give up!
  • corinnak
    corinnak Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    A lot of people have the experience of running outside being very different from running on the TM, especially if you have had the incline set to 0, but sometimes even if it is set to 1%. The thing about outside is that even if you live somewhere relatively flat, there are a lot more factors - nowhere is completely flat, and hills, even slight ones, are a challenge. Pavement is never going to be as even as a treadmill, so you are incorporating more muscles to keep balanced. Add in things like potentially warmer temps (which also slow you down) and it is not surprising that a change in venue would be more challenging. If you intend to run outside, stick with it - the payoffs are great! - the accomplishment of covering actual miles, the changing scenery, the fresh air and sunshine. :-)
  • Bryce58
    Bryce58 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    More effort is required to overcome air resistance as you move through it is another factor.. This why it is actually harder to ru through air - your body is pushing it aside as you run through the air outside, as opposed to running in a fixed place on a tradmill.