You would weigh (fill in the blank) in 5 weeks if everyday were like today...

Options
2»

Replies

• redscylla
    redscylla Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    It's not even remotely accurate, but I do wish I could personalize it. Perhaps on those bad days, seeing "If every day were like today, you'd be the size of a walrus in 5 weeks," would help me get back on track. ;)
  • AllTheNoms
    AllTheNoms Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    nickysbt wrote: »
    It's a basic math calculation. "We've estimated your basic caloric needs to be X. You have eaten Y calories below X. Therefore if you eat this exact same number of calories every day for the next five weeks you will have eaten 35Y calories less than your body used for fuel. Divide 35Y by 3500 to see that you'll have lost Z pounds."

The reason it's not accurate at the end of those five weeks is that even if MFP has estimated your calorie needs properly very few people have the exact same level of physical activity and caloric intake every single day for five straight weeks. You'll eat 1495 one day, 1510 the next, be sick for a week and average 1300, have a birthday party and jump up to 2000, etc.

Personally, I don't pay much attention to it. My goal is small enough that hitting it a couple of weeks later doesn't bother me. I also find that it makes me feel guilty if I've gone slightly over and I see no reason to encourage that feeling. There's too high a rate of eating disorders in my family for me to play around with food and guilt.

^This. If it is wildly innacurate for some folks, it is either due to fluctuations in dietary/exercise habits or due to incorrect data input on calorie intake, etc.

I tend to get into a routine with my diet and exercise, so the computations are very accurate for me. I personally really enjoy being able to see the numbers and manage my own expectations for what my progress will be like in the coming weeks.
  • MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I'm driven by numbers, particulary that one on the scale, so when I see that number of what could be in store in the future (not necessary the 5 weeks MFP says), it keeps me motivated. Like I want to see that number on my scale - let's do more good days!
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    The MFP app on my phone had an error the other day where it wouldnt show my sweet potato but apparently the calories from my invisible sweet potato were around 8,000 so in 5 weeks I was supposed to weigh 274...which is 90lbs heavier than I am right now...lol
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I've considered averaging it for a week, and making a note and then seeing if, in five weeks, I come anywhere near that averaged number since I tend to eat about the same/workout the same each day.

Besides, I think an averaged number as a goal might be a fun way to push for five weeks!!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    If every day were like today there wouldn't even be any seasons.
  • nerdymathgrrl
    nerdymathgrrl Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    It's not going to be accurate because you don't do the exact same thing five weeks in a row. However, what I really appreciate is the projection on days I go over. Seeing that even if I ate that many calories for 35 days straight I'd still lose weight (or gain a small amount) helps keep me from feeling like I've failed.
  • Jesssamesssa
    Jesssamesssa Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    It doesnt even come close! haha Imma tell ya right now I will NOT weigh 155.1 in 5 weeks unless I completely stopped lifting weight and only did the treadmill. Id easily lose 10lbs of muscle!
  • farmgirlrrt
    farmgirlrrt Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    The MFP app on my phone had an error the other day where it wouldnt show my sweet potato but apparently the calories from my invisible sweet potato were around 8,000 so in 5 weeks I was supposed to weigh 274...which is 90lbs heavier than I am right now...lol

That's funny and scary at the same time.

• MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options

I caught a similar error the other day. My one "pat" of butter, turned into a full cup. I about had a heart attack when I saw I was over by something like 2000 calories

But as far as "if every day were like today" goes, I don't even complete my diary entries anymore. Not becasue I find it inaccurate or anything, just casue I think it is pointless due to daily flucuations in eating and exercise, not to mention the fluctions that TOM causes every month