C25K: starting on treadmill then going outdoors?

Options
I'm too embarrassed to run outdoors and I'm already a gym member - I was thinking I'd start off on the treadmill then when I'm a bit more fit/look less silly I could transition to outdoors - is that feasible?

Replies

• viktha
    viktha Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I started the C25K and complete it running on a treadmill. I could run for 30 minutes but never achieved the 30 minute 5K. I did do some runing outside but wasn't really a fan. Then I joined running group and can't imagine going back to the treadmill.

To each their own do what feel comfortable to you.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Outdoors in general is better get fresh air and nice scenery

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]29509743.png[/url]
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    nicola8989 wrote: »
    I'm too embarrassed to run outdoors and I'm already a gym member - I was thinking I'd start off on the treadmill then when I'm a bit more fit/look less silly I could transition to outdoors - is that feasible?

Other than being profoundly boring, there's no reason not to. I'd just moderate your expectation of the transition though, running on a dreadmill conditions you to running on a dreadmill, moving outside is likely to be much more difficult and you'll find that both pace and distance suffer until you're more used to it.

• nicola8989
    nicola8989 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I know I would enjoy it so much more being outside but I just can't handle people looking at my fat ugly self while running!!
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    It's up to you what you do, but be aware that running outside you will be slower than you were on the Dreadmill, so don't be disappointed when you move outside.
    I love running outside, I couldn't care less what people think, I tend to run the forest trails and the dog gets dragged along with me, have never came across anyone that wasn't anything other than encouraging, other runners know how much work it is, the walkers that I meet always admit they just couldn't do it (I keep telling them they can, they just don't want to, which is fine as well).
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I know I would enjoy it so much more being outside but I just can't handle people looking at my fat ugly self while running!!

Nobody cares :)

I look at it this way, people who see me running are only seeing me for a minute or so of any session that I'm doing. If I slow to a walk, they don't know whether I've just run for one minute, or ninety minutes.

I appreciate the context, given the other thread that you started, and I opined on. I run in London, there are a lot of people out, ranging from those clearly just starting out and with a lot of progress to make, to the very competitive. There is a sense of companionship, with everyone. A nod, a grin or a wave demonstrate that we're all out there and respect one another for also being out there.

That said, I much prefer being out on the trail, listening to the wind in the trees, seeing deer, horses, squirrels etc. It's a very soothing experience.
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I started on a treadmill, and like you I was too embarrassed to run outside. When I'd got used to jogging a reasonable time, I started running outside. At first I would jog in the dark, or drive somewhere a bit away from my home - yes I know it sound mad now, but that was all I could do then. Once I'd got more confident I started running round the lake near my home where I knew there was a good chance I would meet people I know, which was a bit scary still, but it was ok.
    My 11 year old who has autism and learning difficulties has just asked to start jogging with me, so we've done it the last 5 Sundays. He's a chunky lad, and we have did have some comments from some teenagers but in general people have been really supportive, and I am so proud of him for wanting to do it.

Get a few practice runs in on the treadmill, then give it a go.
  • Hophead43
    Hophead43 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    I run a bit on both but lately I have been running almost exclusively outdoors. It was actually hard to run on the treadmill pace when I had to. I think you'd be better off running outdoors. Who cares if you look silly?! I know I did starting out and honestly probably still do but I am running for me, not for spectators!! You do what you feel comfortable doing but do at least half of your running outside.
  • heavenlyb14
    heavenlyb14 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Obviously the most important thing for you right now is to feel as comfortable and confident as you can so it doesn't matter where you do it. Good luck.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    That's what I did. Just be aware that running outdoors is harder than a treadmill (especially if you keep the treadmill at 0 incline), and you may fail your first 5k attempt outdoors even after achieving it on the treadmill (I did).

My advice (assuming we can't convince you to do it outside from the start) -
    Put the incline to 1.0 or 1.5 for all your workouts.
    On your first outside run, only do 2 miles. Do that a few times. Then go to 2.5 miles for a few runs. Then go for 5k at a slightly slower pace than you achieved on the treadmill.
  • goanothermile
    goanothermile Posts: 98 Member
    Options

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step!

If you think the treadmill is a good option. Go for it. It will get your heart rate up and start building some of the right muscles. If you want to run outside later, you can take that on whenever you feel comfortable.

When the day arrives that you want to go outside, recognize that it will use muscles differently. Back up from wherever you are in the C25k program. Maybe start off with a few good walks outdoors before you even attempt running. You could completely start the C25k over from the beginning or jump in part way, depending on where you are.
  • mercergirl2008
    mercergirl2008 Posts: 63 Member
    Options

I use to feel that way but you have to remember that even the fit people had a starting point. I ran outside this morning completely out of shape but I felt amazing because I was moving my body. All 215 lbs. Remember that you are always faster than the person who is still sitting on the couch.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Do not worry about how you look while running. Other runners will wave and say "Hi." As for the treadmill, if that's what works for you, that's good enough. I prefer to run outdoors during daylight. My schedule does not allow me to do that during the week, so I treadmill for an hour (tempo runs and progression runs) on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Then on Saturday I go outside for my long runs of 8 to 22 miles. I also cross country ski on my Nordic Track on Monday, Wednesday, Friday for cardio and upper body toning.
  • BuddhaMom74
    Options
    My 11 year old who has autism and learning difficulties has just asked to start jogging with me, so we've done it the last 5 Sundays. He's a chunky lad, and we have did have some comments from some teenagers but in general people have been really supportive, and I am so proud of him for wanting to do it.

Cool! Just wanted to share that my 11(almost 12) year old son has SPD and learning issues and he too has started running with me. He says it's his "meditation". :)

OP - I started with that line of thinking as well, but after a few weeks on the treadmill I just got over it! I now run 5K Tues/Thurs on the treadmill and 10K Saturday's outside. I prefer outside, but appreciate the convenience of the treadmill!
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    That's what I did. Just be aware that running outdoors is harder than a treadmill (especially if you keep the treadmill at 0 incline), and you may fail your first 5k attempt outdoors even after achieving it on the treadmill (I did).

My advice (assuming we can't convince you to do it outside from the start) -
    Put the incline to 1.0 or 1.5 for all your workouts.
    On your first outside run, only do 2 miles. Do that a few times. Then go to 2.5 miles for a few runs. Then go for 5k at a slightly slower pace than you achieved on the treadmill.

This!

I also started running indoors, as I started C25k in February in Wisconsin (last winter we had multiple -10 degree days...running outdoors was NOT happening). The transition to outside was tougher than I expected, but just like increasing your mileage/speed on a treadmill it happens!
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    The longest I've jogged together so far is about 2.5 miles.... great NSV for me.

I started jogging on the treadmill a few weeks ago and I really had no problem transitioning to jogging outside. I think this is because I never walked/jogged without having the treadmill on at least a 2% incline. So, I think doing the C25K program on a treadmill with at least a 2% incline will help you make the transition to running/jogging outside.

I like to jog on the treadmill, at the park, around my neighborhood, and at the track when school's out.

If you can handle it, I would say pick a hill interval program while on the treadmill while doing your C25K. I do this often, so I'm convinced it's helped me make the transition easier from jogging on a treadmill to jogging outside.

ETA: I didn't do the C25K program. I just decided to start jogging. Today, I am aiming to jog 4 miles, if my right knee will let me.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    nothing to be embarrassed about. I'm not a veteran but seasoned runners love seeing new runners. so get outside and inspire people to get out and run too.
  • nicola8989
    nicola8989 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I think I'll have a go at doing it outside, thanks everyone you've made me feel a bit better about it :)

The other problem is that where I live is really hilly - but that'll be good for me right ;)
  • xrachel2014
    xrachel2014 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    When I did the C25k, I started on a treadmill when you do the walking/run intervals as I think I would have felt a bit stupid stopping and starting outside (just personally for me) but now I try to run as much as possible outside now I'm not doing that.
    Time goes so quicker, you have more distraction from nice scenery and the fresh air.
    Try not to wrry about other people and what they think, you can at least feel happy knowing you have got up off your bum and got moving doing some exercise! We all start somewhere and you will get such a sense of achievement when you start reaching the goals!

In terms of hills, dont be afraid to slow down and walk for a bit, just think of the glutes getting tone up ;)
  • medlaura
    medlaura Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Others may prefer one thing better then the other, you do what makes you feel comfortable :)