Long runs?

Options
I will be running my 3rd 1/2 marathon next weekend and want to start building up to a base of about 20 miles to start full marathon training next year. This week I'll have 18 miles and will just continue with 20 from there next week and beyond until May when I start the "real" marathon training for the race next October.

So my question is... does the long run every get easier? I know I have a lot of them in my future. I like running but so far anything over an hour feels like a "big deal". I remember when running a 5k felt like a big deal and now it's no problem. At this point though if I have an 7 mile run or more planned I worry over it, plan around it, prepare for it, psych myself up for it. Then afterwards I feel like "oh my goodness I just did this amazing super human thing" and just want to baby myself the rest of the day. I'm sore everywhere and really hungry - all day. Pathetic. Does it ever get to the point where these long runs are no big deal, you just go do it, run for 2 hours and then move on with your day?

And how long does it take to get to that point.....? :) I'm assuming it's different for everyone but just wondering if I have that to look forward to at some point.

Replies

• SuckerPunch77
    SuckerPunch77 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    well.... your "long runs" will get to be longer than two hours. I find that they aren't difficult to do, just time consuming! that's the daunting part - the time. if you like running, have been doing it a while, and are managing your mileage increases then it shouldn't be too bad physically.

I find that listening to audiobooks or podcasts helps a great deal. you get caught up in the story/conversation and before you know it, your long run is over. AND you're looking forward to your next run because you want to listen to the rest of the book/podcast!
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Why are you building to a 20 mile long run now? Running big distances is always a bit damaging and is very hard to sustain that level of run fitness. You are best off maintaining your run fitness at about the 10-13 mile long-run level as "base" until you are ready to start the official marathon build.

When I am in my off season my "long run" sometimes is no more than an hour (7.5 miles or so), with occasional 10 mile long runs. I don't build up to big long runs until it is time to push for the marathon itself and then it's only the last maybe 8-10 weeks before the taper that the big miles start happening.
  • glevinso
    Options
    As to your question, I don't think the long run (at least longer than maybe 15) ever gets easier, you just get faster. I have been through 5 full marathon builds and two full Ironman builds. You really never will find it easier if you are seriously training.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    IME...

easier as in less taxing on the body? No. Never.

But I do find that it gets easier mentally as you build confidence and experience based on what you done in the past. Whether it's a given distance, hitting a specific time goal, nutrition, whatever... knowing what works and how to accomplish a goal makes the mental part of both training and racing easier.

• BChanFit
    BChanFit Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    To clarify - I meant a base of 20 per *week*. Right now my long runs are about 10 miles give or take a few depending on what happened the rest of the week. Thanks for the tip about the audio books, great idea! A little bummed out it will never be a breeze but appreciate the insight going into this. Helps with expectations. :)
  • glevinso
    Options
    OH! Oops silly me. Yes maintaining 20 mile weeks *does* get easier. It becomes something you go out and do. And the 7-10 mile run at the end really isn't that bad after a while - especially if its base-building season and you aren't attempting to build speed.

Going past there, yea that's when it gets hard and stays kinda hard :)
  • glevinso
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    IME...

easier as in less taxing on the body? No. Never.

But I do find that it gets easier mentally as you build confidence and experience based on what you done in the past. Whether it's a given distance, hitting a specific time goal, nutrition, whatever... knowing what works and how to accomplish a goal makes the mental part of both training and racing easier.

I'll agree with this! After doing a bunch of these, I know my BIG runs are going to hurt, but psychologically I KNOW I am going to get them done because I have done it before a bunch of times. It certainly does get easier mentally in that sense.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    OH! Oops silly me. Yes maintaining 20 mile weeks *does* get easier. It becomes something you go out and do. And the 7-10 mile run at the end really isn't that bad after a while - especially if its base-building season and you aren't attempting to build speed.

Agreed. 20 miles per week with a 10ish mile long run isn't too bad.
  • BChanFit
    BChanFit Posts: 209 Member
    Options

Glad to know I'm on the right track! I was just thinking about the 7 miles I have tomorrow (which isn't even even really *long*) thinking "um... I'd rather not" but I DO like to run and I DO want to run the big race next year and know I need to put in the time. Will probably be easier when I'm not sick with a cold so I have that going for me too. :) Just need to put on my big girl pants and put the miles in!
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    For me, cracking 10 miles was significant. "Easier" is relative term, because in my opinion, running long distances (20+ miles) is mostly mental. The tougher I can get mentally, the "easier" the run gets. After a certain a certain point, the pain involved in running long distances levels out... the key question becomes how long can you mentally deal with the pain. If someone is jabbing you with a sharp needle, how long can you handle it? Ten minutes? Ten hours? Keep pushing up your weekly miles and learn to absorb and embrace the pain... then it will get "easier" because you are tougher...
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    It's all relative the more you train. When I used to do marathons, I wouldn't even bother running any less than 5 miles. Now that I have dumped the marathon training and only run once per week, 5 miles would be a long run - and it definitely would FEEL long.

Good luck in your training and racing! :)
  • glevinso
    Options
    For what it's if what you have is a regular "cold" - I find running to be excellent medicine. If you are feverish at all then don't run. If it's the typical "my sinuses wont stop leaking and I can't stop sneezing" sort of thing, a good hour of elevated heart rate is an excellent way to help clear it. Always works wonders for me.

Again if you at all have a fever then this does NOT apply.
  • trmndsblndtte
    trmndsblndtte Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Kindeo wrote: »
    I'm sore everywhere and really hungry - all day. Pathetic. Does it ever get to the point where these long runs are no big deal, you just go do it, run for 2 hours and then move on with your day?
    I have the same mental issues with runs. I get myself psyched out over a 3 mile run sometimes, but definitely wig a little for anything over 6 miles because then I have to think about water and bathrooms.

The fact that you are so sore is actually what stuck out to me. Even after my 18 and 20 I wasn't that sore.

A couple things that have helped me during and after my runs:
    - foam rolling before my run = magical
    - keeping the pace slow consistently for non-race pace portions of the LR
    - warming up and then slowly letting my pace increase (this can be mentally challenging if you like looking at pace and numbers)
    - cooling down (just a few minutes walking)
    - stretching after the run before my muscles get cold
    - foam rolling after runs (I usually wait til I've showered and such)
    - tennis balling my feet and piriformis
    - strength training (sorry didn't creep your profile to see what your routine is)
    - staying active through the day and not just lounging immediately (I do totally lounge, but I make myself to other things and get up and wander)
    - epsom salt baths and magnesium

• LoneWolfRunner
    Options
    I'm sore everywhere and really hungry - all day. Pathetic. Does it ever get to the point where these long runs are no big deal, you just go do it, run for 2 hours and then move on with your day?
    I have the same mental issues with runs. I get myself psyched out over a 3 mile run sometimes, but definitely wig a little for anything over 6 miles because then I have to think about water and bathrooms.

The fact that you are so sore is actually what stuck out to me. Even after my 18 and 20 I wasn't that sore.

A couple things that have helped me during and after my runs:
    - foam rolling before my run = magical
    - keeping the pace slow consistently for non-race pace portions of the LR
    - warming up and then slowly letting my pace increase (this can be mentally challenging if you like looking at pace and numbers)
    - cooling down (just a few minutes walking)
    - stretching after the run before my muscles get cold
    - foam rolling after runs (I usually wait til I've showered and such)
    - tennis balling my feet and piriformis
    - strength training (sorry didn't creep your profile to see what your routine is)
    - staying active through the day and not just lounging immediately (I do totally lounge, but I make myself to other things and get up and wander)
    - epsom salt baths and magnesium

Lots of good stuff here...
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    The more miles I run each week, the easier my long run gets.

Also, you're gonna need a much bigger base of 20 miles before starting full training. Most recommendations I've seen are about 35 miles/week for at least 6 months before starting heavy marathon training.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

Glad to know I'm on the right track! I was just thinking about the 7 miles I have tomorrow (which isn't even even really *long*) thinking "um... I'd rather not" but I DO like to run and I DO want to run the big race next year and know I need to put in the time. Will probably be easier when I'm not sick with a cold so I have that going for me too. :) Just need to put on my big girl pants and put the miles in!

Often times the hardest part for me is just getting going, especially as the weather turns and I have to wear more gear and deal with elements. But 99% of the time, once I'm warmed up and moving, the hardest part is behind me and I'm good to go.
  • glevinso
    Options
    JTick wrote: »
    The more miles I run each week, the easier my long run gets.

Also, you're gonna need a much bigger base of 20 miles before starting full training. Most recommendations I've seen are about 35 miles/week for at least 6 months before starting heavy marathon training.

Nah - for a first timer, with a solid 20-mile-per-week base, there is no reason to build more. If you are trying for something fast, now you will want more of a base. For a first-time marathon a 20-mile base is more than fine to start one of the 18-week Hal Higdon plans.

• LoneWolfRunner
    Options
    Long outdoor winter running is one of the best ways to toughen you up and make you stronger. I love it.
  • glevinso
    Options
    Long outdoor winter running is one of the best ways to toughen you up and make you stronger. I love it.

Yes! I love running in the cool to even cold weather.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    So you are currently working towards weekly milage of 20 miles. (what you are calling base miles) with your long run being 10 of them?

I not too long ago was not too far from you and wanted to start into marathon training once I was done with my half. There are some things to consider here. Currently, your long run is 50% of your total weekly miles. You really don't want to build onto your long run at this point until you increase your weekly miles first. I am looking at your log from the Oct Challenge and don't see a regular training pattern. I even see where you have back to back long runs (10/4 9 miles and 10/5 of 10 miles). You really don't want to do that either.

First thing is pick one day you plan to do your long runs, either a Sat or a Sun works best for most people that work Mon-Fri jobs. Next, Ideally you want to make sure your long run is somewhere between %25-33 of your weekly miles. Currently, it seems that it is %50.

At this point, instead of cutting your long run down to be ~3.5 miles (roughly %33 of 20 miles) I would start building up your weekly miles to be 30 miles and limiting your long run to 10 miles.

So let's say you pick Saturday as your long run day and you run 10 miles. Also assume you pick Sunday as a rest day. That means you have to work up your runs between Mon-Fri to add up to 20 miles. So you would slowly want to add miles onto your weekly miles so it would end up something like this....

Mon - 6 miles
    Tue - 5 miles
    Wed - Rest
    Thurs - 6 miles
    Fri - 3 miles

Sat - 10 miles
    Sun - Rest

It doesn't have to look exactly that way but you get the idea. You are basically running 20 miles total on your non LSD (long slow or steady distance) day and 10 miles as your LSD.
    That would mean 30 base miles with your LSD being only %33.

This gives you enough weekly base miles to support your long run without your long run chancing you for injury. But just barely. As you get into greater distances, you will want to make sure your LSD is closer to %25 of your weekly milage.

Once you can do this, then you can start increasing your LSD (your long run) slowly by adding an extra mile every other week for a few weeks. Then start adding more miles slowly to your base miles to support it.

Doing it this way will minimize injury and yes, it will get easier in time.