Just Log it.

Options

Replies

• hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    While sucking it up and logging it might be motivating to take a deep breath and keep a failure of a day to become months, there's another aspect to it that I like.

If you are as accurate as possible about your intake, weigh yourself every day and track that weight as a moving average of some longer period of time (say 10 days or so), you're getting a MUCH more accurate picture of how many calories you need to lose, gain or stay the same. Since calories v. weight loss are only a guess, this is a HUGE help in having a clear picture of what your body is really doing.

This is so true! I find that information is invaluable as each person is so different!

And OP I LOVE your post!!
  • BenjaminS_Fitness
    BenjaminS_Fitness Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    isn't the whole point of myfitnesspal to make shure that you're not horribly *kitten* up your diet?

MFP is to make sure you do this the right way. You DO NOT have to cut out any foods/food groups to lose weight. If you eat at a caloric deficit and exercise...YOU WILL LOSE WEIGHT!

i know, (i even said that in a previous post which you of course can't know).
    If it fits in their macros - of course people log it. the problem is people who eat something they can't possibly fit in their calories or people have 400 calories left and they ate something which has 1000calories.

Instead of having this problem - and log it, they should simply stick to their diet.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Yes, keep at it. Logging everything for me 1) shows me that a bad day usually wasn't as bad as I had imagined, and 2 ) gives me something to look at where I can say, do better tomorrow.
  • desweds
    desweds Posts: 126 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    isn't the whole point of myfitnesspal to make shure that you're not horribly *kitten* up your diet?

I feel that the primary function of MFP is very much to show you how much your eating is f***ed up.

MFP is a hospital for sinners, not a temple for saints.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Undertwo wrote: »
    desweds wrote: »
    Getting healthy....<snip>

Ate an entire Meat Lover’s and a jar of Nutella? Be honest and just log it.
    Already in bed but you didn’t log in yet? Get up and just log it.
    Don’t know how much sushi you ate? Guess high and just log it.
    Skipped the last three days and lost your streak? Start again today and just log it.
    Thinking your macros are screwed up? They probably are. Just log it.
    Got hammered last night and have no idea what you did? Throw in 1500 calories and just log it.
    Haven’t lost weight in three days? Who cares? Just log it.
    Afraid of failure? The only real failure is failure to just log it.

This sounds like some bizarro parody of Weird Al's 'Eat It' parody of Michael Jackson's 'Beat It' song.

I agree, if you only log the positive you are missing half the equation.

Now I have that song in my head. At least I like it
  • desweds
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »
    Undertwo wrote: »

This sounds like some bizarro parody of Weird Al's 'Eat It' parody of Michael Jackson's 'Beat It' song.

I agree, if you only log the positive you are missing half the equation.

Now I have that song in my head. At least I like it

Damn the both of you

"Looooog it, Loooog it
    Grab yourself a pie and hog it
    drink a leaded pepsi
    drink another sprite
    it doesn't matter who's wrong or right..."

I suck at lyrics but now it's stuck.
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with this philosophy. On days when I overeat, I just keep logging everything. That way I see how big of a hole I'm digging for myself and have full knowledge of what it will take to dig myself back out.

I'm the same, if I keep logging everything I'm eating on an over day, seeing the red numbers creep up makes me want to stop, and that has made me put down the unnecessary snacks a few times now. I feel that honest logging is the only way to lose weight consistently.
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    LOVE this!! thanks for posting!! :heart:
  • kjarvo
    kjarvo Posts: 235 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    so fed up with people saying: "not bother to log it, mad weekend" "sister's birthday, not logging tonight", "going on holiday, see you next week" etc!

Yes I do just log it but I disagree with this. Sometimes it's just too hard too log logistically. The app is too slow to log everything using my internet and if I'm on holiday I haven't got access to the internet at all. I try logging for instance at a buffet, then a night out and staying over but it is VERY time consuming and I don't want to spend the night on my phone searching for ''sweet and sour chicken in batter' breadcrumbs?- no that's in cups??? ounces??? I give up'.
  • desweds
    Options
    Just log it.

@kjarvo -
    kjarvo wrote: »

Yes I do just log it but I disagree with this. Sometimes it's just too hard too log logistically. The app is too slow to log everything using my internet and if I'm on holiday I haven't got access to the internet at all. I try logging for instance at a buffet, then a night out and staying over but it is VERY time consuming and I don't want to spend the night on my phone searching for ''sweet and sour chicken in batter' breadcrumbs?- no that's in cups??? ounces??? I give up'.

• cherryblossombabe
    cherryblossombabe Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with ya! Log EVERTHING :D x
  • annanaidoo
    annanaidoo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Agreed! I've always struggled with binging and hiding my over eating! It's not fun to be wolfing down a whole meal you sneaked into the house and then stepping out to have dinner with the family! Being honest with myself has really changed the way i think about food, I still love to eat it but i now know what the impact of it will be if I do it on a daily basis! I'm not saying I don't have my dark days but I've learnt to embrace my mistake and make a change rather than beating myself up over it and continuously eating my feelings!
  • cprati
    cprati Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Great advice! Thanks for posting.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    And the more you log those 4000 calorie days the more you will know how they affect you daily fluctuations. without an honest diary you learn nothing about how You work.
  • BusyB223
    BusyB223 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I log it, I log it, I log it... That is why I am on here, to log my meals. It can be time consuming and I prefer to log on my laptop than my phone especially when eating out.

When I eat out, I take pictures of all my meals from a few different angles to have a good idea of what I had. Sometimes I even take an after just in case I didn't eat all the food and didn't have a take home. If I don't get to log on until I get home at least I can still log my meal.

My phone has the scanner which is a great plus when I'm eating something I just brought at the store.

I log it, l log it, I log it! I don't have a reason not to... Yet!!!
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this! I have been feeling rubbish today and the last thing I wanted to do was remember everything I ate, estimate how much it was, and log it. Especially if it puts me over, because I'm feeling too crappy to exercise.

But now I've found the will to do it anyway, so thanks a lot :)
  • Aaron_FTT
    Options
    Admitting your mistakes is the first step people. If you can't even bring yourself to honestly log what you're eating, this whole weight loss thing isn't for you....
  • Isabelle_1929
    Isabelle_1929 Posts: 233 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    kjarvo wrote: »
    so fed up with people saying: "not bother to log it, mad weekend" "sister's birthday, not logging tonight", "going on holiday, see you next week" etc!

Well, just calculate in your head, and log the total calories for the meal, or even for the entire day. It takes a second.
    No Internet? Write it down on a tiny piece of paper kept in your wallet with your dollar bills. Again, just do the maths in your head and plug a rounded number.

When you're back home and have a chance, just copy the numbers in MFP.

It's better than nothing !

Usually, when we had a great day, we WANT to log it in. When we find excuses not to log it, it's typically because we did not do as well as we wanted ...

Buffet plus night out, you said ? ;-)
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder. I am logging but estimating. It is coming under. I know I am missing something (probably underestimating). I put notes when I think there is an error to remind myself.

My husband keeps saying he is going to order me a food scale so soon I should be more accurate.