Eggs

Options
Hey, everyone. I have a question about eggs. I keep getting conflicting information from the internet, so I'm wondering if anyone who knows a lot about nutrition would be able to answer some questions.

First off, I love eggs. If I wake up late and don't eat them for breakfast, I will eat them once I get home. I typically eat 4-5 small meals a day and the first and last one is usually eggs/whites. In total, I only eat 2-3 whole eggs (~100-150g) and also about 100-150g of egg whites (equates to 1/2-3/4 a cup pretty much).

I know the it-raises-your-cholesterol-too-much myth was busted in what, the 90s? I know the yolk is relatively low in saturated fat. I know that your liver also produces cholesterol in the event that you don't get enough from your diet - but I'm pretty sure I do. Is that bad for my liver - halting/slowing down one of its functions? Sorry if that's a stupid question.

Also, any opinions on white vs. brown eggs, organic, omega-3 enriched? Which should I invest in for the most health benefit, since I will be eating so many ;b

Replies

• TrainerLB
    TrainerLB Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Eggs aren't bad for you. Just ensure you get your cholesterol checked regularly. You may have high cholesterol naturally. Eating foods high in fibre will reduce this. I recommend organic free-range if they're readily available at your grocery store.
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    IMO free range/farm eggs taste better. As far as being healthier, I doubt there is much difference. Those commercials that advertise their hens are fed a "vegetarian diet", that is hardly natural. Chickens are not vegetarians. Free roaming hens love to peck the ground for grubs, small insects, etc. Probably what makes there eggs tastier. :# And an average egg has 70 calories, hardly a fattening food.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Eggs are not bad..but if you want to weight loss..you should remove it....its a fatty food.

Unless someone has a dietary restriction where they can't eat eggs, there is no need to remove them. Those fats are good for the body. I eat 2-3 of them a couple times a week and have no problems losing.
  • carlcopley
    Options
    White vs brown, doesn't matter, it just depends on what breed of chicken the farmer uses. It depends on what the chicken is fed, free-range is best because the nutrient profile is more varied and complete. Organic is best because you don't have to worry about the potentials of GMOs negatively affecting your health. (I have a hard time with most studies because of who funds them -- usually big guys like Monsanto themselves -- but why take a chance with your health?)

Make sure you get a variety of different protein sources into your diet, that is the main thing. Eggs are your cheapest source of protein available, conventional or organic, but different sources have different nutrient profiles. Nothing wrong with chicken stir fry for breakfast!
  • CherryChan81
    CherryChan81 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Eggs are not bad..but if you want to weight loss..you should remove it....its a fatty food.

uuuhhh... fat is not the culprit of gaining weight.... simple carbs do...
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    yvesklein wrote: »
    Eggs aren't bad for you. Just ensure you get your cholesterol checked regularly. You may have high cholesterol naturally. Eating foods high in fibre will reduce this. I recommend organic free-range if they're readily available at your grocery store.

you do realize the organic, free-range is a bunch of poo, right?

almost as funny as the ones "raised on vegetarian feed!"

Chickens being omnivorous.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

You trollin'?
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I've never seen a difference in the taste. However, in the past, I've never really concentrated on those differences (just price). Now that I'm eating like 4-6 eggs a day, I will pay more attention to what the taste differences are. If you're going to be eating that many though, I would want the ones that give you more Omega 3's. Since you need those anyway and there is not that much in ordinary proteins (chicken, pork, etc.), I'd buy those. But that is just my opinion. It is all a matter of preference.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Why dont you just try and build similar feelings for spinach instead?
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Eggs are delicious, cheap, versatile, have a high nutrient-to-calorie ratio, and are protein-rich. Ain't no shame in that game. Eat up.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Make sure your cholesterol level is in a healthy range, via the "reports"section of MFP. I eat eggs (yolk too) once a week or so. I enjoy them alot.

I tried egg whites (liquid, pourable kind) and I just didnt enjoy them much.
  • mysecretself
    Options
    Eat eggs if you want to eat eggs, simples!
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    Options

wrong. Try again.

I was thinking the same thing. They are an almost perfect protein, however there are 7gms of fat in an egg. Certainly not enough to worry about, but eating several a day might not be such a good idea.

• aSaltandBattery
    aSaltandBattery Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I own chickens and I truly believe that their eggs taste better. I don't know how reliable this source is -http://www.hobbyfarms.com/livestock-and-pets/getting-good-eggs.aspx and I'm probably biased because I do love my little ladies <3

But this part of the article basically sums up my opinion!
    “First of all, the eggs are fresher, which gives them a better texture. Also, they’re not washed in a chemical bath, so you don’t have that weird metallic taste you often get in supermarket eggs. Third, the hens eat a varied diet so you’ll get a more complex and richer flavor. Finally, I do think an animal that isn’t stressed produces a better product.”
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    There are 5 grams of fat in an egg. That equates to 45 calories. Eat your eggs.