will your body stop burning fat if it is busy flushing out s

Options
Just curious really:))

so if my body spent all week getting Easter sodium off, does that mean it didn't really burn fat all week? is it reasonable that your liver can not burn fat and flush out sodim at the same time? your thoughts:)) just wondering:))

Replies

• merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Stupid question--your liver is what burns fat?
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I didnt realise ur body had to burn sodium..
    i thought it was something u just digested...
    :S
  • kthom
    kthom Posts: 175
    Options
    Your liver turns the fat into energy. You get rid of sodium with your kidneys. One doesn't interfere with the other. Keep eating well, working out and drinking your water it will all work out.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    The amazing thing about the body is that it can and does all of this at the same time! Sodium is washed out through sweat and in the urine, while fat is converted and burned as energy. It gets molecularly complicated, but to answer your question, it happens all at the same time. Now go drink some water! :bigsmile:
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    not a stupid question:)) I fel dumb putting that because I really don't understand:)) I read that your liver burns fat and if you try to lose too much weight too soon then that is hard on your liver....I dunno:embarassed:

I am learning as I go....If I look stupid in between...oh well:)) I am still gonna ask away:)) someone on here knows something lol!!!
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options

WOW...That's just MEAN and unnecessary. People are here to learn, it takes courage and confidence to ask questions.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    No, it just means your body retains more water to keep the sodium/water balance good. The liver doesn't burn fat. The liver helps turn fuel (food) to glucose which get used by the body. What is doesn't use gets stored as fat. The fat burning process involves a number of organs and systems.

Your body burns fat/carbs 24/7 (sometimes if you aren't careful it will also burn off lean muscle mass - this can happen with calorie restrictions and too much cardio activity).
  • leahsevilla
    leahsevilla Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    the only thing that interferes with fat burn is alcohol. your body stops burning fat until it gets all that out of it's system... sad huh?
  • lil_missfit
    Options
    The amazing thing about the body is that it can and does all of this at the same time! Sodium is washed out through sweat and in the urine, while fat is converted and burned as energy. It gets molecularly complicated, but to answer your question, it happens all at the same time. Now go drink some water! :bigsmile:

lol!!! I had to giggle reading this:)) thank you!!! You answered my question to a "T" take care:)) *gulping water *
  • hpsnickers1
    Options

WOW...That's just MEAN and unnecessary. People are here to learn, it takes courage and confidence to ask questions.

I think maybe this person was asking what he/she thought might be considered a stupid question. I don't think he/she was calling the OP's questions stupid.
  • hpsnickers1
    Options
    the only thing that interferes with fat burn is alcohol. your body stops burning fat until it gets all that out of it's system... sad huh?

also ingesting too much sugar and fast digesting carbs (the bad carbs).

http://www.hussmanfitness.org/html/TPAdaptation.html

The law of unintended consequences

Your body is an amazing feedback system aimed at balance and survival. Humans are at the top of the food chain because they are able to adapt to their environment. Every action produces a reaction. Every change in its environment triggers a survival response. It's important to keep that in mind when you plan your fitness program. If you treat your body as an enemy to be conquered, you'll produce unintended results.

For example, if you severely cut off the supply of food to your body, it will defend itself by slowing down its metabolism to survive starvation. The body will shed muscle mass the same way that you would throw cargo from a plane that was low on fuel, and it will reduce its thyroid activity to conserve energy. The body will also actually defend its fat stores. In anorexia, muscle loss can be so profound that fat as a percentage of body weight actually rises. Extreme carbohydrate restriction also causes muscle loss, dehydration, and slower metabolism, which is why even successful Atkins dieters can have a significant rebound in weight after they stop the diet (don't worry – the advice on this site will prevent that from happening).

As another example, if you put your body under stress through overexertion and lack of sleep, it will respond by slowing down, reducing muscle growth, and increasing your appetite for junk food, carbohydrates and fat. If you feed your body excessive amounts of sugar and quickly digested carbohydrates, and it will shut off its ability to burn fat until those sugars are taken out of the bloodstream.

This website will show you how to work with your body to quickly produce the changes you want. In order to do that, you need to take actions that push your body to adapt – to build strength, burn fat, and increase fitness. You need a training program, not an exercise routine. You need a nutrition plan, not a diet. You need a challenge, not a few good habits you usually try to follow except when you don't.
    Setting the right goal

John Dewey once said that a problem well-stated is half-solved. If you want to reach your goal, you have to define it correctly. See, a lot of people say “I want to lose weight.” Well, if losing weight is your goal, go on a no-carb diet. You'll lose a lot of weight – some of it will be fat, a lot of it will be water, and a dangerous amount will be muscle tissue. You'll lose weight quickly, but you'll slow your metabolism and gain fat more quickly once you go off the diet. Trust me on this. I've been there, done that.

The problem is that you've set the wrong goal. If you want to look better, have more energy and enjoy better health, the goal is not simply to “lose weight.” The goal is to improve your fitness level and body composition. That means losing fat, improving your aerobic capacity, training your strength and defending your muscle tissue. You can't do that with a no-carb diet. You will do it using the approach you'll learn on this website. Trust me on this one too. I know what it's like to feel fat, tired and helplessly out of shape. The whole point of this site is to help others avoid that, by sharing lessons that I had to learn the hard way.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/130545-the-real-effect-of-alcohol-on-your-waistline - this explains the effect of alcohol.
  • lil_missfit
    Options

I think she was refering to her question being stupid (though it wasn't) because she may not have known.... I don't think she was saying my question was stupid...at least I didn't get that...but I do tend to be a little slow at times.....still no offense taken anyway:)) no harm done:))
  • lil_missfit
    Options

I think maybe this person was asking what he/she thought might be considered a stupid question. I don't think he/she was calling the OP's questions stupid.

yep:heart:

still love here:))
  • 2monkeys
    2monkeys Posts: 17 Member
    Options

I read this as 'I have a stupid question: does the liver burn fat?' I think that some people write the way they talk and the meaning comes across completely differently when you type it. You can't read the tone of what someone is saying. But I did give it a second read, if it wasn't for the question mark at the end I would have felt the same as you.
  • EDesq
    Options
    Drinking 10-12 cups of water is not "Flushing" but many on here believe that it is. Remember, when you are doing all of this "peeing" and sweating" you are ALSO stripping your Body of much needed nutrients...Potassium, B Vitamins and any other Vitamins that are Water soluble. Sometimes you just have to take your "hit" and just get back on track without doing EXTREME things, like drinking 10-12 cups of water. Also, remember, we get at least 1/3 to 1/2 of our water from what we eat. Just get back on track and avoid Extreme Measures.
  • EDesq
    Options

I read this as 'I have a stupid question: does the liver burn fat?' I think that some people write the way they talk and the meaning comes across completely differently when you type it. You can't read the tone of what someone is saying. But I did give it a second read, if it wasn't for the question mark at the end I would have felt the same as you.

Imma move on, but...I just take My time and READ what people write, I am NOT into assuming what is in someone's head. NOWHERE did it READ, "I have a stupid..." ALSO, questions usually end with a question mark. What that person responded was Mean. I believe they wrote what they INTENDED.
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I get confused with a lot of this stuff, I still haven't grasped the whole thing with calories, calories net, deficit, Calories burned. Like I have my HRM, and I barely know how to use it. lol I can't set it all up cause i don't understand it all. I tend to be a bit slow in some areas. lol
    not a stupid question:)) I fel dumb putting that because I really don't understand:)) I read that your liver burns fat and if you try to lose too much weight too soon then that is hard on your liver....I dunno:embarassed:

I am learning as I go....If I look stupid in between...oh well:)) I am still gonna ask away:)) someone on here knows something lol!!!
  • EDesq
    Options
    I get confused with a lot of this stuff, I still haven't grasped the whole thing with calories, calories net, deficit, Calories burned. Like I have my HRM, and I barely know how to use it. lol I can't set it all up cause i don't understand it all. I tend to be a bit slow in some areas. lol

I think that if you get to much into the SCIENCE of weight loss you may derail yourself. I did that when I came on MFP, and I STOPPED losing. Then I went back to what worked for Me and I am on track again. Basically eat less and move More...your Body being in some type of "Zone" and so on is for those who really want to be there. I just get on My Cycle and GOOOO, sometimes fast, sometimes slow, I just have FUN. I eat by My eating plan and be happy as I can get to be. There is some sacrifice but if you get too much into Science, you may not stick to YOUR Plan; and if You can not stick to YOUR Plan, YOU will not lose weight, get fit or get healthy.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Both your liver and kidneys are used in the process of converting fat into energy. Fat gets broken down into usable energy and the byproducts, water and carbon dioxide, are released through urine and breathing respectively. If your liver and kidneys are busy using other sources for energy, like carbs/sugars and consumed fats you will not burn body fat for energy. Sodium should not affect the body's fat burning processes, but it's possible that there is only so much your body can do at one time. Getting rid of excess sodium would take priority over burning fat. And what a poster said above about how "flushing" sodium with extra water can actually flush necessary electrolytes is true. Drink the amount of water that your body is used to and the excess sodium will and resulting water weight will come off on its own in a way that is healthy for your body.
  • lil_missfit
    Options
    Both your liver and kidneys are used in the process of converting fat into energy. Fat gets broken down into usable energy and the byproducts, water and carbon dioxide, are released through urine and breathing respectively. If your liver and kidneys are busy using other sources for energy, like carbs/sugars and consumed fats you will not burn body fat for energy. Sodium should not affect the body's fat burning processes, but it's possible that there is only so much your body can do at one time. Getting rid of excess sodium would take priority over burning fat. And what a poster said above about how "flushing" sodium with extra water can actually flush necessary electrolytes is true. Drink the amount of water that your body is used to and the excess sodium will and resulting water weight will come off on its own in a way that is healthy for your body.

thank you:)) you're answers are always the BOMB!! very straight to the point and very detailed AND understandable:)) I can always get a straight forward answer from you. Thanks!!!