Mirena and weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• Kaitlynar
    Options
    I have had no issues whatsoever. Actually lost several pounds soon after insertion.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    No problems with Mirena for me. I think it's the best decision I made for BC. I haven't had a period since it was inserted. The only spotting I've had was the first couple of days after being put in (which apparently just about everyone gets).

As far as weight loss goes:
    hww1wxb12ugc.jpg
    yellow mark is the day mirena was put in.
    blue mark is the day I started a new workout plan.

That being said, it's not for everyone and some people do have pretty bad side effects with it (although I'm sure that can be said for all methods of BC).

edit: Oh, and although I don't have a period, I still seem to bloat a bit around the week where I would have it.
  • jenmardo
    jenmardo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The Mirena works on the ovaries to inhibit ovulation and stimulation of the lining of the uterus. They cannot reproduce or prove in any clinical trial that it causes weight gain. Any evidence of weight gain is anecdotal, and not based on scientific method.
  • shannishan05
    shannishan05 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Myrmilt wrote: »
    No issues with Mirena for me, but I still get longish menses and cramping regularly too, which others don't get. I am happy enough with it, no babies. No more babies for me.

Same thing goes for me. Now real issues except I still get a period which I was hopin wouldn't happen. I'm no good with the pills so it definetly took the stress out of sex. Nothing worst than waiting on a period...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    jenmardo wrote: »
    The Mirena works on the ovaries to inhibit ovulation and stimulation of the lining of the uterus. They cannot reproduce or prove in any clinical trial that it causes weight gain. Any evidence of weight gain is anecdotal, and not based on scientific method.
    When it inhibits ovulation...what then?

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    jenmardo wrote: »

I agree I looked at the clinical trials and studies a while back and based on what I saw the last clinical trial pre selling included 96000 women...and based on my understanding of clinical trials "any abnormal side effect" must be reported to the trial, that being said it doesn't mean that the actual drug caused the side effect.

Now in the Mirena trials they were not on calorie controlled diets and only about 4300 women reported weight gain (note again no calorie control) so that is less than 5% of the women report weight gain and it did go on to say it was on average aout 7lbs.

And just like any other birth control method that or ingested, injected or inserted there are hormones that difference with Mirena is that they are localized to the uterus and therefore do not flow through our entire bodies before it reaches where it is needed.

Any weight gain while on any BC can be attributed to the following:

Water retention and/or increased appetite.

The water retention will account for up to about 10lbs the rest..."increased appetite" is what is causing the weight gain.

@sabine_stroehm you know it's the hormones that inhibits the ovulation just like in any other form of BC which all lists the same side effects (pretty much) as Mirena. Those hormones can cause other issues but they do not cause our bodies to produce fat from nothing nor do they cause our bodies to hold onto fat in a calorie deficit.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I just don't believe mirena is localized, given the very systemic effects some users report. Nor do I see how it *could* be localized, given the administration. Given where it is placed. But meh, I don't have one (any more), so it's not my worry. Removing it was the BEST thing I did that year.

ETA: I'm not a fan of synthetic hormones AT ALL.
  • wannabskinny08
    Options
    I have had the same issue with Mirena (this time). I previously had it after I had my son and it was great!!! My periods stopped and I only gained maybe 5 pounds. I had it taken out after 5 years and then I got pregnant with my daughter maybe 3 months after! Then I figured since it went so great the first time I would get it again....horrible mistake! This time my face is constantly broke out, I have gained 20 pounds and I work out 5 times a week. Mood swings are horrible and although I am not depressed it is hard pressed to get me out of bed. I am so exhausted that if I do not have a nap throughout the day my eyes and head hurt. I have never felt like this before and it all started when I had the 2nd Mirena put in. For the first couple of months I just assumed that these symptoms would disappear..boy was I wrong. I am just wondering why it affected me different the second time???
  • sydneydeb
    sydneydeb Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I've had mine for a few years and had issues for about the first six months, now it's fine and things have stablised. I love the fact no bloated belly and no sore boobs.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I've had Mirena for 3-4 years now. Completely happy with it--had breakthrough bleeding the first week or so, but haven't had a period since then. No bloating. No PMS. No weight gain.
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I have mirena and it's been awesome!! No periods, no mood change, sex drive is great.....I had it put in 3 weeks after my last comp I was on levlen.ed while competing, the mirena is also the same ingredients but on a much lesser dosage....I put on 5kg but wasn't training either that was 3 years ago I'm now wanting to get back into it but I CANT LOSE WEIGHT!!! Tried everything! I don't want to have it removed as I love the freedom of it! I wanted my tubes done but a friend had hers done and bleed and bleed and bleed till she hit menopause....8 years!! She ended up having to go on many medications to stop her permanent period! I've tried other birth controls but this has been the best by a long shot apart from not being able to lose weight!!! Don't know what to do now!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
  • MissMissie1987
    MissMissie1987 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am on my second Mirena and I only gained weight for the first couple of weeks, Probably from inflamation/swelling, I have lost that weight but it is really hard to lose more. I wasn't so lucky, I got a period every month, here's to hoping I don't get it this go around.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I am now on my third Mirena.... LOVE MINE! If your body tolerates the Mirena well, it is fabulous. It also seems to have no effect on me gaining/losing weight. I do not seem to have a monthly cycle at all (I don't bloat, no tenderness, etc). It seems that those that gain weight or have trouble losing on Mirena also have other issues (bleeding, cramps, etc).
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    NECRO THREAD
  • summerkissed
    Options
    karahm78 wrote: »
    I am now on my third Mirena.... LOVE MINE! If your body tolerates the Mirena well, it is fabulous. It also seems to have no effect on me gaining/losing weight. I do not seem to have a monthly cycle at all (I don't bloat, no tenderness, etc). It seems that those that gain weight or have trouble losing on Mirena also have other issues (bleeding, cramps, etc).

Yeah I'm one of the lucky ones as well.....I'm trying a couple of other things as well now since when I stopped training it's because I burnt myself out so perhaps it's just coincidence I can't lose weight (I'm not over weight just want to drop a bit of fat) I've had no other side effects and no period for the 3 years :smile:
  • summerkissed
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    NECRO THREAD

You don't need to read if you have nothing to input! I read the old thread and the information is relevant to myself and 8 months down the track would be great to see if any of these girls have noticed any change or had removed and problem has gone away!