Gaining Weight 'Cause you don't eat enough...

Options
Does anyone have experience with this? I've lost about 100# and started gaining some weight back after kicking up exercise. Nutritionists and friends advised that my body is starving and now storing becuase I'm exercising and not eating enough. Thoughts?

Replies

• sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Not if you haven't changed your caloric intake. Nutritionists and friends are mistaken. What it most likely is is water retention from the increased activity.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    No, you cannot gain weight by eating too little. It might be water retention.
  • SkauGirl
    SkauGirl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can. I sent you a message because I don't like the drama these threads tend to breed. Listen to your nutritionist, they have the degree in this stuff :) Good luck!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    SkauGirl wrote: »
    Yes, you can. I sent you a message because I don't like the drama these threads tend to breed. Listen to your nutritionist, they have the degree in this stuff :) Good luck!
    Really? Starving people in third world countries will be happy to hear this glorious news.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    • Nutritionists don't necessarily have a degree in this stuff.
    • Are you still counting calories? If you increased exercise, it could increase your appetite leading to eating a bit more without even realizing it.
    • And as others have mentioned, if you are stressing your muscles more with your increased exercise, it could be water weight.
    • Have you been adjusting your calorie goal as you lose? You might have gotten your weight down to a point where you need to eat a bit less to maintain.

For more specific answers, we would need to know your stats, how long you had been losing, how long you have now been gaining, and where your calorie goal is.

Congrats on your weight loss - 100 lbs is amazing!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    jthalberg wrote: »
    Does anyone have experience with this? I've lost about 100# and started gaining some weight back after kicking up exercise. Nutritionists and friends advised that my body is starving and now storing becuase I'm exercising and not eating enough. Thoughts?

Welcome, and congratulations on 100 pounds lost!

Unless you are emaciated, such as the guys in the Minnesota Starvation Experiment, your body is not starving. Starvation mode does not happen to the common dieter, or someone who is not emaciated and has lost a certain amount of muscle and fat.

If you are gaining weight, then you are eating more calories than you burn. As we get smaller, our caloric levels need to be adjusted because we do not need as much to function.

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    You would get immensely rich if this were true because you would have broken the secret to violating the laws of thermodynamics
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    If people keep storing because they aren't eating enough, then how would someone starve to death?
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    i don't have any comments other than congrats on your weight loss so far and don't give up! congrats to you! i know you must be very proud! hang in there!! :D
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Not a good question to ask on this forum...at all. I would give you my two cents on it, but the last time I did, I got ripped to shreds by a couple people. But congrats on the weight loss. Outstanding.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options

I'm calling troll
    -no avi/friends/weight loss tracked/anything filled out
    -starts thread for "thoughts" on [insert buzz word topic] never returns
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    You would get immensely rich if this were true because you would have broken the secret to violating the laws of thermodynamics

In for rich trolls!
  • SkauGirl
    Options
    Difference of opinion I guess. My experiences have been more along the lines of what they talk about in the EatMore2WeighLess group on here. That's what I wrote in the PM to the OP and suggested he check that group out.
  • Kalikel
    Options
    Difference of opinion I guess. My experiences have been more along the lines of what they talk about in the EatMore2WeighLess group on here. That's what I wrote in the PM to the OP and suggested he check that group out.
    Next time you don't want discussion about your PM, send it without announcing it on the thread.

Friendly advice, not criticism. :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

I'm calling troll
    -no avi/friends/weight loss tracked/anything filled out
    -starts thread for "thoughts" on [insert buzz word topic] never returns
    I'm not calling troll (because that's not what it means to me), but I am wishing for a bit more info about the OP: such as current weight, height (gender and age)...
  • SkauGirl
    Options
    Thank you and I really wasn't trying to start anything, just wasn't sure the OP would see my PM so I mentioned it figuring he would probably check back on his post. Had no idea I was opening a can of worms :/
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have experience with this?

Nobody - NOBODY - experiences this. Anybody telling you otherwise is full of *kitten*.

Concentration camp rations were 500-800 calories a day - you ever see a picture of a fat concentration camp victim? Of course not...
  • Kalikel
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Does anyone have experience with this?

Nobody - NOBODY - experiences this. Anybody telling you otherwise is full of *kitten*.

Concentration camp rations were 500-800 calories a day - you ever see a picture of a fat concentration camp victim? Of course not...
    They were also worked to death, tortured, not protected from the elements, et cetera, et cetera.

Plenty of people go on 800 calorie a day diets. They are not suffering the way the victims of the Holocaust did.

I think it is an outrageous injustice to the people who suffered so horrifically to have dieting compared, in any way, to their suffering.