Dieting with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Options
Hi everyone! I have CFS, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and I've gained some weight recently that I would like to get off. Has anyone else dieted while suffering from a chronic illness? It seems like the hardest part of trying to lose weight while sick is not being able to exercise much, if at all. What has your experience be?

Replies

• CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    This is a really late response, but yes I have a myriad of chronic illnesses, as well as old injuries that has made it much more difficult to lose weight, however it is possible. I am 14kg down after a year and a half. I have CFS, Hydrocephalus, seizures, migraines, as well as having broken my back in the past so I have to be careful (twice broken in back and once in neck), smashed my right leg, broken my wrists so many times they are quite weak..the list goes on. I have also suffered from Eating Disorders and depression so psychologically it has been difficult. I only share this much information to say that it is indeed possible to lose weight, it's just harder and it can take much longer than others. But don't compare yourself to other people's successes, just let yourself take a day at a time, challenge yourself as much as you feel you can. I have had CFS for 9 years now and have worked hard to get to a place I am able to work out at the gym at all, I used to not be able to walk to the letterbox. I now lift heavy! Not every week is the same and consistency is not always possible but do what you can.
  • ang030867
    Options
    i to have a chronic illness fidromyalgia, which mean i am in alot of pain but i am losing weight very slow i have lose 4lb so far.
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I have CFS, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and I've gained some weight recently that I would like to get off. Has anyone else dieted while suffering from a chronic illness? It seems like the hardest part of trying to lose weight while sick is not being able to exercise much, if at all. What has your experience be?

I have dysautonomia and possible CFS and I have been dieting since last November. I lost 45lbs by July and then I started exercising hoping to lose the rest and help myself get more energy. It kind of works for the energy, but not enough.
  • seal757
    Options
    Hello everyone. I just started here having had a major chronic fatigue crash this year with subsequent weight gain. I am going to do graded exercise - starting with just 5 minutes per day 3 times a week! I've learned the hard way that anything more and I will end up in bed. Feels like such baby steps - quite frustrating!
    I know from experience that tracking food helps but I've gotten lazy about that in recent months.
  • cananimal
    cananimal Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Oh how I can relate...I started to feel energized and started Walking at Home with leslie sansone videos...several hours later I was so exhausted I could hardly move...three weeks later I am still draging myself around. My husband says wants me to suck it up but unless you have experienced post exercise malise you have no idea...its affected my entire life for years. Happily I have lost nearly 50 lbs in the last 2 years I would like to increase my exercising but can't right now. Very nice to talk to someone that can relate. April
  • cazpom37
    cazpom37 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    a little late in replying but if it helps anyone, i lost 35lbs while suffering from rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia. its hard and its slow but it can work. obviously exercise helps but for me that's not possible so i concentrate on the eating side of things. sometimes i only lose half pound a week but i've gone from a uk size 24 to a 16 so far. nothing is impossible :smile: