Would you buy a house where a child was allegedly murdered?

SPNLuver83
SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
Ok say you were needing to move and fast. And let's say the homes in your price range all require a bit of work - work you can DIY with the help of family - but still work. Then let's say a home just comes on the market for a very good price, but when google-ing the address you discover a mere couple days ago charges were pressed on a local man that allegedly inflicted blunt force trauma on a small child, causing death. Would you still consider buying the home?

Replies

• kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    That really depends on you. If you can psychologically deal with the thought of it, by all means. If you find it to be a problem for YOU then avoid like Ebola.

As for me, I could probably deal with it but would not want my daughter carrying that baggage so I'd probably pass on it.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    No. Never ever. Never ever ever ever ever.
    But that's just my opinion :P
  • SubZeroDude
    SubZeroDude Posts: 1,519 Member
    If you don't know where in the house it happened, I'd still get it. I'd only be worried about how often violence occurs in the area.
  • cakebatter07
    cakebatter07 Posts: 814 Member
    No, I'm good.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    I'd rather put in the work on a fixer upper. Get a custom house to my liking with a little time and shopping and effort.
  • SPNLuver83
    ZooksBrah wrote: »
    If you don't know where in the house it happened, I'd still get it. I'd only be worried about how often violence occurs in the area.

Happened in bedroom... Violence does not happen often... Quiet neighborhood... Home was owned by church pastor who was allowing a member stay there on the weekends...
  • SPNLuver83
    Honestly I don't think I could live with it either.... I am really glad I googled the address first.
  • I'm not usually creeped out by many things, but I don't think I could deal with that knowledge. Nope.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Hell to the no. In fact, when we bought this house, we asked the realtor if anyone had died violently in the house. There are places where such a thing has to be disclosed to a potential buyer.
  • Never. Poor little love, that's too sad. :'(
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    I'm not at all superstitious or anything but no way. If I'm spending money on somewhere I want to be 100% happy and comfortable there. So sad
  • jamilynn_8890
    jamilynn_8890 Posts: 48 Member
    I would. Never let one bad thing outweigh the positives. As long as it was in a safe neighborhood I would take it.
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    I would. And then I would have the house/room blessed by the denomination of my choice, just for additional peace of mind. When you really think about it, people have died throughout the years in countless locations that you visit on a daily basis, you just don't know about it.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,147 Member
    Does it have mice? No? I'd buy.
  • LeslieTSUK
    LeslieTSUK Posts: 215 Member
    yeah, i'd buy,
  • Tiamo719
    Tiamo719 Posts: 256 Member
    No. Just watched American Horror Story last night. ;) Seriously, it depends on you and your beliefs. I would think twice about it.

Has anyone lived there prior to you and after the child's death?
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    I'm not a real estate expert, but don't some states require disclosure about major things like murder in a home's history? I would want to be told upfront about the crime. That said, if everything else about the house fit my specs, I would probably buy it.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    If it's below market value... absolutely.
  • SarahJohnson1234
    SarahJohnson1234 Posts: 23 Member
    Don't let it affect your decision, all sorts of things happen in diffeent houses but you just gotta get on with it :) maybe change the wall colour, add carpet if there's non or vice versa and make it nice a cosy. You won't be thinking about what happened after your all settled in

Good luck :)
  • CinJay
    CinJay Posts: 157 Member
    It's a house. Whatever happened there didn't happen to you, why make an issue of it? If it's a safe neighbourhood and a sound home, then any other issues you have with it are just that... your issues.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,007 Member
    No no no no no. You all may think I am a nut job but I have lived in a few haunted houses. I would ALWAYS ask before looking at a house to buy, but my last house I forgot. On the real estate web site it was the perfect house for me and my daughter. Totally renovated top to bottom. I would be the first person in after the reno. My daughter and I get moved in and a nosy neighbour comes over to chat and check us out. She proceeds to tell me about the old lady that used to live there. A real hermit woman. To make a long story short the woman died and was dead for 6 weeks before they found her. The mail man called police when he noticed her mail backing up. I had lived in my new house sll of 2 days and I was devastated. I lived there for one year before I put it up for sale. My dog would stare at the wall. She would not go near the basement door. My daughter who didnt know about the dead woman til after we moved out hated her room. It just didnt feel right. Well that's where the lady died.

So no I would not buy that house. My new house has no issues...
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    If the price is right, yes.
    I look at it this way. Somewhere along the line, odds are, someone has been murdered there in the past. Being recent makes no difference to me. It's not like you'd be living with the murderer.
  • SPNLuver83
    Tiamo719 wrote: »
    No. Just watched American Horror Story last night. ;) Seriously, it depends on you and your beliefs. I would think twice about it.

Has anyone lived there prior to you and after the child's death?

It just happened a week ago
  • SPNLuver83
    And it's a manufactured home.... Selling for $4000 and it's one that would typically be listed for $15,000 plus
  • SPNLuver83
    I also have 2 children....
  • SuninVirgo
    SuninVirgo Posts: 255 Member
    Is this for real? Just hearing this makes my stomach turn. The fact that you are asking makes you unsure. People leave their vibrations everywhere. I would not buy it. You will think of that child every single day you live there. Don't do it.
  • forkofpower
    forkofpower Posts: 171 Member
    If everything else was good, I'd take it. However, if it makes you uncomfortable, you'd be getting the creeps all the time in the house, so I wouldn't recommend that you get it.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Probably not. I wouldn't want to live in a house where anyone was murdered.
  • SPNLuver83
    Is this for real? Just hearing this makes my stomach turn. The fact that you are asking makes you unsure. People leave their vibrations everywhere. I would not buy it. You will think of that child every single day you live there. Don't do it.

Yes it's for real.... Times are hard right now and we need to move from our house..... We are arranged to close next week on a mobile home for $6300 but it needs work before we can move in... Not being able to hire someone to do it we need to figure it out on our own.... I saw this listing yesterday and it looks so nice on the outside... Then I googled the address and found the news articles.....
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    I'm one of those people who can't get over the history of things. I can't buy used furniture without meeting and getting to know the people who owned it. I've only bought or built new homes since being on my own because I can't handle the unknown history. Antique shops freak me out. So, no. But most people aren't as nuts as I am, so there's probably no logical reason not to.