As you much happier after losing weight?

Options
Claire8614
Claire8614 Posts: 157 Member
Do you think losing weight can improve your life, your relationship etc?

Replies

• nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    My happiness is the same as when I was heavy.

My improvement is better blood test results (all normal now), more energy, sleep better, feeling stronger, etc.
  • Bert3005
    Bert3005 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Yep I believe it can, since losing weight am happier, healthier and more confident.
  • Woomytron
    Woomytron Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on why you are unhappy in the first place. For me, I was in horrible pain nearly every single day. Don't get me wrong I'm still have bad days (fibromyalgia) but better food choices and daily exercise has made it much better, therefore I'm happier.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I'm much happier because I'm not in constant pain and I can now do the things that I enjoy without my weight holding me back.
  • harribeau2012
    harribeau2012 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    If you start in a position of sadness and disappointment with yourself then you may well feel better losing weight - I know that's true for me, I hope to like myself enough that my happiness doesn't depend on a number on a scale however getting healthier my be a cheering experience. I think that if a person can master the art of contentment in any circumstances and not put off doing the things they want to do "until I'm thin" then happiness is available to all. I don't think that happy is the human default setting for life. Contentment, now that would be lovely. :D
  • gotanda
    gotanda Posts: 26
    Options
    I am happier but many of my friends are not my friends anymore. Those friendships did not sustain 64lbs weight loss
  • _L_A_
    _L_A_ Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Before losing weight I was unhappy with my reflection, I loved shopping for clothes but could never find anything that looked right on me which upset me and lots of things were uncomfortable, even just sitting, because of the extra rolls!

Having lost some weight I feel more confident, I like my figure in the mirror and in clothes which makes clothes shopping much more fun again and I don't find myself as uncomfortable in day-to-day life any more :) however... my purse is unhappy with all the new clothes and now it is winter I miss my extra insulation!!! But overall I'm much happier having lost weight!
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I was much happier thinner..I agree about the friends thing...also the world seems against you the whole way thin too.
  • yummyboogereaterr
    yummyboogereaterr Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    This is a great question that I've often asked myself. I've lost 25lbs and toned up quite a bit and before I began I felt that if I lost the weight it would make me happier. I wouldn't have to feel self conscious and my physical relationship with my husband would improve, I would be more outgoing and just in general be... happier. Well you want to know what? I'm not. Weight loss isn't some magic cure all, or at least it wasn't for me. All the insecurities are still there and I still want to avoid people for fear of what i look like. It's taken some time but I've realized that happiness doesn't come from the number on the scale, it's up to me personally to fight my demons and hold my head high. I can say that I have more energy now, and I do go out more than I used to but am I happier? No.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I think it can help, but the unhappiness was not caused all by weight, really. Sure, maybe some image issues were there, but "unhappiness" is complicated. Honestly, I think weight issues can be a side effect for some of the issues causing them to be unhappy with things. In my case, I had to work on more than just weight to get back towards being happy. I had to work on my mind as well. I am happier now, and thinner, but only because I wanted to start doing what I needed to overcome things that I used to let drag me down. I do a lot more now, not just exercise. I find myself taking care of many things that I used to just let slide by.

Not everyone is the same though.
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I have tons more confidence.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Claire8614 wrote: »

Not mine. I'm still as mentally effed up as I was at 313#.

• justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I had to find a balance. I'm not depressed about being "fat" anymore, but for a while I lost sight of what was important and got so obsessed with having a perfect body that I was miserable and felt like a failure every time I slipped up. I let working out get in the way of just about everything else and when I hit my ideal weight and leanness, I was a total wreck (emotionally and in my personal life). I've gained a few pounds and a little "squish" since then and I'm much happier living a more balanced life. That said, I'm grateful to be at a healthy weight and be strong enough to pursue other goals.
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

Not mine. I'm still as mentally effed up as I was at 313#.

yep, same here :p but I have the same life daily either at 340 or 140... Losing weight hasn't changed my outlook... but it's been different being this small for the first time ever...
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    gotanda wrote: »
    I am happier but many of my friends are not my friends anymore. Those friendships did not sustain 64lbs weight loss

This is kind of sad. I still have the same friends as I did 200 lbs ago... same romantic tangles, same everything.

• ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options

Why?
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

I'm already happy, so no, I don't think losing weight is going to make me happier.

It'll help me swim faster. I'll be able to run up the stairs easier. I'll need less fabric when I want to make a dress and knitting myself a sweater will take less time. My IQ is the same, and I'll still love video games and swimming and knitting and writing and going on cruises and Christmas and my family and learning about weird esoteric stuff. That's who I am and who I'll always be. Those things aren't dependent on whether I am fat or not.

I used to be a weight loss counselor and the tragic ways in which people mistakenly thought that weight loss would improve their lives could really hurt if I allowed myself to dwell on it.
    • I remember an anorexic Marine Corps captain who I begged to try to get treatment.
    • I remember a woman who was 5'2" and 110 lbs who thought that her husband would stop cheating on her if she lost ten pounds.
    • I remember a boy who thought that his mother would be nicer to him if he lost weight. She started bugging him worse about something else.
    • I remember a woman who thought her mother in law would finally approve of the marriage if she lost the weight. It didn't happen. Then she was just "vain" for wanting to be thin.

Everyone had this vision of the perfect life when they lost weight, but they still had trouble paying bills, or got frustrated when a tire blew out or whatever. Sometimes they did get treated better, but it felt a bit hollow when they realized how nice guys were to them was based on whether or not they were an appropriate sex toy.

The people that were genuinely happier were people who had goals outside of the scale and how people treated them -- lower blood pressure, or increased physical capability, or that sort of thing. Yeah, the little size 2 dress made her eyes sparkle, but not as much as the fact she didn't have to sneak in naps to get through the day, or that she was able to go off blood pressure medication and was able to get into ballroom dancing with her husband and feel energetic enough to dance the night away.

• AllTheNoms
    AllTheNoms Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I am much happier when I feel thin, fit, and healthy - looking forward to getting that back.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    There is absolutely no comparison. Everything improved in my life. In general people just treat me better. I have more energy, vitality and passion for living.
    And this may sound strange, but I can sleep a whole night instead of waking up 7 times per hour choking on throat blubber. At my heaviest I had to sleep with a C-PAP just to get through a night.
    As for my relationship, that too is miles higher in every way, including physical intimacy.
    My life transformed, and this is my motivation to maintain.
    I never want to go back to the miserable guy who pretended everything was jolly.
    td0li704tkvx.jpg
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    ajnb88 wrote: »

Why?
    In my case it was pure envy. My friends at the time became extremely jealous of my progress and became kind of mean. Also, my interests changed from getting together for drinks and junk food to biking, hiking, tennis and active people were attracted to this life while old friends were repelled.
    Though it hurt at the time, I am now OK with it. I let those door close, and new doors opened.

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!