Would you buy a house where a child was allegedly murdered?

Options
SPNLuver83
SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
Ok say you were needing to move and fast. And let's say the homes in your price range all require a bit of work - work you can DIY with the help of family - but still work. Then let's say a home just comes on the market for a very good price, but when google-ing the address you discover a mere couple days ago charges were pressed on a local man that allegedly inflicted blunt force trauma on a small child, causing death. Would you still consider buying the home?

Replies

• kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    That really depends on you. If you can psychologically deal with the thought of it, by all means. If you find it to be a problem for YOU then avoid like Ebola.

As for me, I could probably deal with it but would not want my daughter carrying that baggage so I'd probably pass on it.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    No. Never ever. Never ever ever ever ever.
    But that's just my opinion :P
  • SubZeroDude
    SubZeroDude Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    If you don't know where in the house it happened, I'd still get it. I'd only be worried about how often violence occurs in the area.
  • cakebatter07
    cakebatter07 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    No, I'm good.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I'd rather put in the work on a fixer upper. Get a custom house to my liking with a little time and shopping and effort.
  • SPNLuver83
    Options
    ZooksBrah wrote: »
    If you don't know where in the house it happened, I'd still get it. I'd only be worried about how often violence occurs in the area.

Happened in bedroom... Violence does not happen often... Quiet neighborhood... Home was owned by church pastor who was allowing a member stay there on the weekends...
  • SPNLuver83
    Options
    Honestly I don't think I could live with it either.... I am really glad I googled the address first.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I'm not usually creeped out by many things, but I don't think I could deal with that knowledge. Nope.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Hell to the no. In fact, when we bought this house, we asked the realtor if anyone had died violently in the house. There are places where such a thing has to be disclosed to a potential buyer.
  • Slinky_BraveHeartBunsOfSteel
    Options
    Never. Poor little love, that's too sad. :'(
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I'm not at all superstitious or anything but no way. If I'm spending money on somewhere I want to be 100% happy and comfortable there. So sad
  • jamilynn_8890
    jamilynn_8890 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I would. Never let one bad thing outweigh the positives. As long as it was in a safe neighborhood I would take it.
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I would. And then I would have the house/room blessed by the denomination of my choice, just for additional peace of mind. When you really think about it, people have died throughout the years in countless locations that you visit on a daily basis, you just don't know about it.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Does it have mice? No? I'd buy.
  • LeslieTSUK
    LeslieTSUK Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    yeah, i'd buy,
  • Tiamo719
    Tiamo719 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    No. Just watched American Horror Story last night. ;) Seriously, it depends on you and your beliefs. I would think twice about it.

Has anyone lived there prior to you and after the child's death?
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I'm not a real estate expert, but don't some states require disclosure about major things like murder in a home's history? I would want to be told upfront about the crime. That said, if everything else about the house fit my specs, I would probably buy it.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    If it's below market value... absolutely.
  • SarahJohnson1234
    SarahJohnson1234 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Don't let it affect your decision, all sorts of things happen in diffeent houses but you just gotta get on with it :) maybe change the wall colour, add carpet if there's non or vice versa and make it nice a cosy. You won't be thinking about what happened after your all settled in

Good luck :)
  • CinJay
    CinJay Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    It's a house. Whatever happened there didn't happen to you, why make an issue of it? If it's a safe neighbourhood and a sound home, then any other issues you have with it are just that... your issues.